What to do with Deng

What should the Bulls do with SF Luol Deng?

• Total voters

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bulls need to decide what to do with Deng this summer...

... or at least by the trade deadline.

If they don't want him past next season, we need to trade him to get something back. It would be dumb to let him play out his contract and walk after next year. Yeah, we can S&T him... but what if he has a drop off for whatever reason next season and he loses value? Idk how high is value is right now, but I'd imagine that there are several team out there that would really want him. For what price? I guess that's something the Bulls need to find out.

We already know what we have in Deng. He's hit his ceiling. After nine years in the league, I doubt he's going to miraculously improve a shit ton.

OR they can offer him an extension. If they do, hopefully not a huge one. I would hate it if they offered him like a 4 or 5 year extension worth 12-14 million a year.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
There were strong rumors last year about us moving him during the draft to move up and take Harrison Barnes. With the way he has developed we kind of look dumb for not doing it. I think we should move him in the draft in order to clear up some cap and because Jimmy is a natural SF and he is just as good and only getting better. If we could move him for a pick and maybe a player we could free up a lot of cap to add more pieces.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
I hope they can re-sign Deng. I would like to see he and Butler together on the floor as starters full time next season.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There were strong rumors last year about us moving him during the draft to move up and take Harrison Barnes. With the way he has developed we kind of look dumb for not doing it. I think we should move him in the draft in order to clear up some cap and because Jimmy is a natural SF and he is just as good and only getting better. If we could move him for a pick and maybe a player we could free up a lot of cap to add more pieces.

We'll still be over the cap if we trade him... so trading him for a pick won't really give us an opportunity to add more pieces. We can trade him for a pick and then amnesty Boozer after next season and THAT will give us an opportunity to add more guys since we'd be 10+ million under the cap. Maybe 15+ million depending on what we do this summer.

As for moving up to get Barnes... idk. Barnes ceiling seems to be... well... Deng.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We'll still be over the cap if we trade him... so trading him for a pick won't really give us an opportunity to add more pieces. We can trade him for a pick and then amnesty Boozer after next season and THAT will give us an opportunity to add more guys since we'd be 10+ million under the cap. Maybe 15+ million depending on what we do this summer.

As for moving up to get Barnes... idk. Barnes ceiling seems to be... well... Deng.
Except Boozer won't be amnestied so really that does nothing for us. If we trade Deng, it's either for someone who will somehow make us better (or fill a scoring need perhaps) or it'll be for maybe a couple players that fill in a need (ie backup center + average starting level player).

I'm not mad for not getting Barnes, I doubt he'll really be better than Deng. He's more athletic I guess, but he probably won't be near the defender that Deng is.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

Barnes is playing a lot better in his first playoff as a rookie than Deng did in his first playoff as a 2nd year player :troll:

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
So he didn't injure himself...:isee:

:derbulls:

In all seriousness I think he will end up considerably better than Deng. Probably will never end up as good defensively but I think early on all of the hype just got into his head. Expectations were ridiculously large for him and he had little chance to live up to it all. Now that he's playing behind some stars in Curry and Lee he doesn't have all of that pressure and has been playing great in the playoffs.

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
What about this?

Luol Deng + Taj Gibson + Charlotte's pick + Mirotic's rights + Nate (after being resigned) for Kevin Love.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:derbulls:

In all seriousness I think he will end up considerably better than Deng. Probably will never end up as good defensively but I think early on all of the hype just got into his head. Expectations were ridiculously large for him and he had little chance to live up to it all. Now that he's playing behind some stars in Curry and Lee he doesn't have all of that pressure and has been playing great in the playoffs.
He could very well be better offensively. Perhaps that'll make up for the defensive difference. Though offense in people's minds is perceived as being better so people may very well think that Barnes is the better player at the end of the day.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
What about this?

Luol Deng + Taj Gibson + Charlotte's pick + Mirotic's rights + Nate (after being resigned) for Kevin Love.

That gives you

Rose
Butler
Love
Booz
Noah

That might be the best starting five in the NBA

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
Re: The Bulls need to decide what to do with Deng this summer...

That gives you

Rose
Butler
Love
Booz
Noah

Except Love is not really a SF.

Rose
Butler
New SF
Love
Noah

The new SF will have to be signed after/if the bulls amnesty boozer.

Tapatalk

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Except Love is not really a SF.

Rose
Butler
New SF
Love
Noah

The new SF will have to be signed after/if the bulls amnesty boozer.

Tapatalk

Love can shoot the three. I would describe him as a stretch 4.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
love at SF? the fugg

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Re: The Bulls need to decide what to do with Deng this summer...

I'd trade him by deadline. I'm curious to see how Butler at SG would go.

Sent from the interwebz using ancient technology

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What about this?

Salaries don't even remotely match.

Freakyslow15

Liked Posts:
The Bulls need to decide what to do with Deng this summer...

That gives you

Rose
Butler
Love
Booz
Noah

Love would get destroyed on defense, and Boozer already sucks on defense (he made strides this year to not be "completely worthless"; he's been upgraded to "sucks"). Butler may or may not be able to play SG. Rose may or may not return to form. Joakim may or may not have his plantar fasciitis flare up.
All in all, that would be a lineup full of question marks.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade, trade...

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
If they wouldn't trade Deng for Kobe who was in his prime...........

Supple