Could Michigan-Ohio St. split help league?

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
As you know, my Big Ten divisions proposal keeps archrivals Michigan and Ohio State in the same division. Most proposals do the same thing.

Maybe we all need to think outside the box.

130.gif
194.gif
Momentum is building for the Wolverines and Buckeyes to be on opposite sides of the league when the division dust settles, likely later this month.

The first clue came last week at Big Ten media days as coaches Rich Rodriguez (Michigan) and Jim Tressel (Ohio State) seemed open to the possibility of moving their annual rivalry game away from the final weekend of the regular season. Michigan-Ohio State has been a fixture on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, but the Big Ten's shift to a permanent bye week will end the tradition, as The Game now will be played after turkey is served. For years, Michigan and Ohio State seemed reluctant about the bye because it would move the rivalry a week later.

The fact that these two traditional powers might be willing to play earlier tells me they wouldn't mind lining up twice a year. Splitting Ohio State and Michigan into separate divisions, while preserving The Game through a protected crossover, opens up the possibility of a rematch in the Big Ten title game.

CBSsports.com's Dennis Dodd wants to see it happen, and he makes a good case in today's column.
Ohio State-Michigan for the right to go to the Rose Bowl, possibly the BCS title game, would conjure up visions of Bo's and Woody's Ten Year War.

Squared.

"The second game would be bigger," Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman said, just talking ratings. "As a TV person, it is one of the highest, if not the highest regular-season games out there. I don't think having a second one would impact the TV ratings."

In other words, the nation can't get enough.​
You've read the phrase "move the needle" a lot on this blog in recent months. By that, I mean the Big Ten must create divisions that maximize its appeal nationally. Television dollars drive this sport. That's obvious after the events of the summer. So when deciding divisions, the Big Ten must ensure its biggest matchups are played as often as possible.

No matter how the teams are performing, Michigan-Ohio State ALWAYS moves the needle. So why not have a rematch?
"I'm fine with that," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said, "in the championship game, in Tuscaloosa. Anywhere."

"I'm sure our fans would be really excited," Rodriguez said. "If you won it the first time, you may think, 'I don't want to play a second time.' But Michigan loves to compete against Ohio State and Ohio State loves to compete against Michigan."​
Dodd points out that if Michigan and Ohio State were split into two divisions, The Game would have to be moved earlier, "no later than Nov. 1."
Corporate types like to call it "monetizing" your biggest assets. You might have noticed the SEC has done a fairly good job of it. Four months from now, Florida and Alabama could be playing in the SEC championship game for the third consecutive year. The first two games have been de facto national semifinals with the winner going to, and winning, the national championship game. Meanwhile, the Big Ten speculators seem too hung up in geography in the division debate.​
I definitely agree with the last line. Geography shouldn't be a deciding factor. Not that many fans travel to road games as you think.

While I'm still not certain that splitting Michigan and Ohio State is the best model for the Big Ten, I'm warming up to the idea, especially with nine conference games on the horizon.

More...