Fans' 2010 Big Ten Predictions

CherryPickin'

Liked Posts:
Iowa (11-1, 8-0) Iowa’s performance against Georgia Tech in the Orange bowl last season was a thing of beauty. The Hawkeyes held the Jacket’s powerful offense to just 155 yards of total offense. GT had been averaging 442.69 yards prior to that January matchup. Iowa doesn’t lose many pieces this year and has a favorable schedule as the 3 top teams from the conference last year all visit Iowa City.

Ohio State (10-2, 7-1) Ohio State reloads as it always does each season. However how far OSU goes fringes on one man: Terrelle Pryor. Sure, he was phenomenal at the end of last season in the Rose Bowl but he was mediocre at best during the regular season. Questions still remain about his health and we’ll see how he’s matured as an all-around QB this season.

Wisconsin (10-2, 6-2) In Wisconsin, Brett Bielima silenced his haters somewhat after last year. For the past few seasons Wisconsin has been predicted to challenge OSU for the conference crown. This year is no different as they get the fortune of hosting the Buckeyes at Camp Randall. The only other real challenge will be a road trip to Iowa.

Michigan State (9-3, 5-3) I think Michigan State will show the biggest improvement in the conference this season. After finishing in the dead center of the conference last season I predict the Spartans to finish near the top of the Big Ten in 2010. MSU gets the fortune of hosting Wisconsin but will face some tough road tests against Iowa and Penn State.

Penn State (9-3, 6-2) Even at 180 years old Joe Pa still knows how to draw up the X’s and O’s. Last year his Nittany Lions pulled off 11 wins and despite losing QB Daryll Clark this offense will still be able to put up points in 2010. Evan Royster is one of the best backs in the nation and he’s very capable of carrying this team on his back. I don’t think this team will repeat with 11 wins but 9-3 isn’t terrible.

Northwestern (8-4, 4-4) Northwestern has been one of the most consistent teams in the Big Ten over the past few seasons but they’ve remained in the middle of the pack. Will this be the season the Wildcats make a climb up to the top?

Michigan (6-6, 3-5) Rich Rod very likely will be on his way out of Ann Arbor if he doesn’t produce a Bowl-caliber team this season. Right out of the gate Michigan will face a UConn team that was red-hot last season and then travel to Notre Dame the following weekend for what will most likely be a slugfest. I think they take 1-2 but if they’re able to win both those games my prediction is that they’ll finish strong enough to play in a late December bowl game. Michigan will certainly be able to whoop up on the teams that they’re supposed to beat up on and maybe even steal a win from a team that they’re not.

Purdue (6-6, 3-5) Danny Hope’s first season probably didn’t go as expected at Purdue but he didn’t do terribly. Purdue could have very easily ended up being a surprise team in 2009 if it weren’t for so many close losses (i.e.—Oregon, Notre Dame, MSU). The motto for the Boilermakers this season ought to be: FINISH.

Illinois (4-8, 2-6) Illinois had a very disappointing 2009 season and 2010 could be do or die for Ron Zook. U of I will have to find a new identity after losing Juice to graduation. Towards the end of his 4-year career Juice Williams hardly lived up to the hype but he was not the sole reason for Illinois’ failures.

Indiana (4-8, 0-8) Indiana is, well…Indiana, and I don’t expect much from this team in ’10. They almost pulled off a thrilling upset against Michigan last year but they’ll be lucky to get 1 conference win this year.

Minnesota (3-9, 0-8) The Golden Gophers have played in December the past two years and they’d like to play another bowl game again this year. That’s going to be hard after losing the most underrated wide receiver in the Big Ten last season in Eric Decker. Fortunately, Minnesota returns plenty of other starters on offense including signal-caller Adam Weber. However, on defense only 2 players return in the secondary. The lack of experience on the other side of the ball could kill Minnesota this season.

Notre Dame (6-6) Things will get better in South Bend before it gets worse, but for 2010 I don’t see Notre Dame making any dramatic improvements. 6-6 is a solid start for Brian Kelly in year one.