CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
The preseason awards watch lists are rolling in, and Big Ten players appear on all of them. You already know about the Walter Camp Player of the Year watch list, and here are new ones for the Maxwell Award, Bednarik Award and Biletnikoff Award.

MAXWELL AWARD (nation's most outstanding player)

Big Ten players on the watch list ...
Last Big Ten recipient: Penn State RB Larry Johnson, 2002

Comment: The watch list only includes quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers, so this looks about right for the Big Ten. I'd still like to see defenders like Greg Jones, Adrian Clayborn and Cameron Heyward gain consideration for national Player of the Year awards like this one.

BEDNARIK AWARD (nation's top defensive player)

• Wisconsin LB Chris Borland
  • Iowa DE Adrian Clayborn
  • Penn State DE Jack Crawford
  • Ohio State DL Cameron Heyward
  • Ohio State LB Ross Homan
  • Michigan State LB Greg Jones
  • Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan
  • Iowa S Tyler Sash
  • Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt
Last Big Ten recipient: Penn State LB Dan Connor, 2007

Comment: No complaints here. Jones, Kerrigan, Clayborn and Sash all were first-team All-Big Ten selections a year ago, while Heyward and Homan certainly could have been. Borland is the reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Year, while both Crawford and Watt boast a ton of potential and should blossom this fall.

BILETNIKOFF AWARD (nation's top wide receiver)

Last Big Ten recipient: Michigan WR Braylon Edwards, 2004

Comment: I would have added Iowa's Marvin McNutt for sure and possibly Ohio State's Dane Sanzenbacher to the list. Don't be surprised if a Michigan State wide receiver -- Keshawn Martin or Keith Nichol -- earns midseason consideration for the award.

All three awards select semifinalists in early or mid-November. The winners will be announced Dec. 9 on ESPN during the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards show.

More...