Garza To Rangers -- Olt, Edwards, Grimm to Chi (Post 607)

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might as well get this official as we got the first juicy rumor involving Matt Garza. Peter Gammons reporting that the Cubs have talked to the Padres about Garza with OF Reymond Fuentes and two other prospects coming back to the Cubs. Here is Bleacher Nation's report.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is Reymond Fuentes numbers in minor league ball. He is still young, but he is repeating a level in a hitter friendly league as well. The other prospects need to be legitimately interesting prospects to go along with Fuentes I would guess otherwise I would be disappointed in the haul.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
May as well get the comp pick in next years draft. I see this guy is another one of Epstein's old hard-ons.

Better off signing Garza, instead of constantly going backwards. Not sure how much more garbage is needed in the minors while we are continuing to watch horrible baseball at the ML level.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
heard the other 2 prospects could be from a list of Casey Kelly, Jed Gyorko, Cory Spangenberg, Austin Hedges, Matt wisler, Jace Peterson, or Joe Ross who are all Hoyer/McLeod Prospects that were drafted in 2010/2011.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jedd Gyorko would be an interesting choice, and I thought about the Casey Kelly return. It would be fun to watch the reaction to the Cubs trading for another pitcher coming off TJS.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
gyorko and fuentes would be 2 nice pieces to add to the core at CF and 2B..

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
With Garza's stock on the rise, I think the Cubs could certainly get a better haul for him. Gyorko would be an interesting prospect, although I'm not too high on any of the other Padres' farm hands. With Cubs still need to consider resigning Garza long term, especially if they think what he'll fetch on the open market will fit with what they're willing to spend this offseason. The front office has made it clear they're willing to spend money during the offseason, so it wouldn't be out of the question. If Garza settles in on a deal similar to the one given to Anibal Sanchez (4 or 5 years with a team option at $14-16MM anually), I could see that working in the Cubs' favor.

I think we're still too far away from the deadline to get too deep into rumors. There will be more injuries on contenders that will help drive up Garza's value. He just needs to do his part and keep pitching well. If that's the case, it may be almost impossible to keep him, in regards to both what he could fetch on the open market and what a team would be willing to do in order to land him.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
After what the Cubs gave up for Matt Garza, they need to get that in return if they trade him. He's a good pitcher and I would hate to see the Cubs trade him but if they can get some good prospects then that's okay.

I just like the fact of the Cubs having proven players on their roster. They could have a nice rotation next year with Matt Garza, Jeff Samardzija, Travis Wood, Edwin Jackson and either a prospect or free agent. Any news on if Kyle Hendricks will be promoted to AAA?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
.......to be honest it seems pointless. Raymond projects as a speedy CF. uhm Matt Szczur at AA ring a bell. So this feels dumb right out of the box. Gyroko is not going to be part of a 2 month rental. If there was an option year involved I could see it gaining traction. So that part is BS. Kelly is a TJ case. They already have one of those. I would want a LF that hits LH and projects hitting 20 HR. basically what we were hoping BJaxx was going to be before he started sucking. After that I'd take Kelly off their hands and an projectable A ball pitcher that throws hard. That is fair comp.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
.......to be honest it seems pointless. Raymond projects as a speedy CF. uhm Matt Szczur at AA ring a bell. So this feels dumb right out of the box. Gyroko is not going to be part of a 2 month rental. If there was an option year involved I could see it gaining traction. So that part is BS. Kelly is a TJ case. They already have one of those. I would want a LF that hits LH and projects hitting 20 HR. basically what we were hoping BJaxx was going to be before he started sucking. After that I'd take Kelly off their hands and an projectable A ball pitcher that throws hard. That is fair comp.

I guess it makes more sense trying to find another "Garza" on some other teams low minor league roster.

Good luck with that. They didn't need Jackson and should have saved the cash to sign Garza at the end of this season, if he came out healthy and pitched, like he has.

It appears that they are peddling Garza instead and keeping the trash heap in Jackson. More doolings from Command Central and par for the course.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I guess it makes more sense trying to find another "Garza" on some other teams low minor league roster.

Good luck with that. They didn't need Jackson and should have saved the cash to sign Garza at the end of this season, if he came out healthy and pitched, like he has.

It appears that they are peddling Garza instead and keeping the trash heap in Jackson. More doolings from Command Central and par for the course.

The point is if they are going to trade him then yes you would want to add arms and address LF post Soriano. Looking forward (if every thing falls into place) the team will be RH heavy. Soler RF, Almora CF, Bryant 3B, Castro and Baez somewhere. Castillo behind the dish. That leaves Rizzo and one spot as potential LH hitters in this projection. I can see why the over paid into Hannerman this draft. Fits the profile. Now I'm not saying it will work out but that is what they are trying to build. I don't see how adding another low power speed player will fit into it. Other then this is a rescue mission by Jed of his fallen draft picks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If they were trying to win now they should trade Baez, Soler and Almora to Mia for Stanton. Plug Bryant in at 3B. Extend Garza then dump 300 mil on Robbie Cano at 2B. Trade Castro for a few arms and sign a glove man at SS. F-da-errors. Not happening as they are focused on using their farm to fill the 25 man vs trade for it.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
The point is if they are going to trade him then yes you would want to add arms and address LF post Soriano. Looking forward (if every thing falls into place) the team will be RH heavy. Soler RF, Almora CF, Bryant 3B, Castro and Baez somewhere. Castillo behind the dish. That leaves Rizzo and one spot as potential LH hitters in this projection. I can see why the over paid into Hannerman this draft. Fits the profile. Now I'm not saying it will work out but that is what they are trying to build. I don't see how adding another low power speed player will fit into it. Other then this is a rescue mission by Jed of his fallen draft picks.

Agreed.

I wouldn't suppose the potential comp pick, in next years draft, would supply the same "prospective power" and false hope that the retards would get for a three month rental for Garza ?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Agreed.

I wouldn't suppose the potential comp pick, in next years draft, would supply the same "prospective power" and false hope that the retards would get for a three month rental for Garza ?

My choice: I would retain 1st comp 2nd trade 3rd. For the reasons I listed. Jed is a tard and him going out running to get his old draft picks is par for him. (Rizzo for Cash). It is not about getting better IMO it is about favoritism. Garza was not their acquisition and it didn't cost their prospects. Trading out Colvin: not thir prospect. Cash same thing. Marshall same thing. What has Jed signed to F/A gambles and career minor league talent. Traded for damaged good and player Galen out of favor. Jed suxs as a GM

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
My choice: I would retain 1st comp 2nd trade 3rd. For the reasons I listed. Jed is a tard and him going out running to get his old draft picks is par for him. (Rizzo for Cash). It is not about getting better IMO it is about favoritism. Garza was not their acquisition and it didn't cost their prospects. Trading out Colvin: not thir prospect. Cash same thing. Marshall same thing. What has Jed signed to F/A gambles and career minor league talent. Traded for damaged good and player Galen out of favor. Jed suxs as a GM

Very good post.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
When exactly did the CHICAGO CUBS turn into the montreal expos.