Liked Posts:
Jonah Keri appears to be a very smart person indeed.*

* =100% baseball related content

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Strop is going to be on the Chicago roster and Arrieta is headed to Iowa apparently.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was about the international bonus money. They want Jimenez. this can get them there. They have already signed the number 2 and 3 best prospect for international signings now they are going for the sweep.

Strop has a really good arm, but has control issues. The Cubs are going to try to fix him. Think like a Marmol, but under control and don't cost near as much. They straighten him out and he could help the bullpen for the future. Arrietta is one of those guys who is a lottery ticket. Change of scenery may help him. Not expecting much, but he has a very good arm. Showed a lot of potential.

This trade is not really a big deal. Feldman has pitched above expectations but he is not as good as he has shown. He gave us something back. The money is what the Cubs wanted the most. I have no qualms with this deal.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a decent deal, Arrieta can turn into something with the change in scenery. Pluss the spending money. Which is the main part.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay there is a lot more than this going on. Stay with me.

MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 11m
RT @Orioles: The O's have also sent International Signing Bonus Slots 3 & 4 to Chicago. Clevenger has been optioned to Triple-A Norfolk.

Chicago Cubs ‏@Cubs 1m
#Cubs today acquired RHP Matt Guerrier from the #Dodgers for RHP Carlos Marmol and Chicago’s fourth international signing bonus slot.

Roni Torreyes to HOU for Houston's 2nd/3rd bonus slots.

So, basically, the Cubs gave the Dodgers international money for Marmol instead of sending money. Trading Torreyes to the Astros pretty much guarantees to me that the Cubs are going to sign Jiminez.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta is apparently intriguing to the Padres who also want Garza. Could be that Arrieta's stay with the Cubs could be short. Just something that is floating out there right now. Also seen a few people suggest a move to the bullpen could help revive him with his good stuff. Not sure right now, but this will be interesting to see what Derek Johnson can do with him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

RT @Orioles: The O's have also sent International Signing Bonus Slots 3 & 4 to Chicago. Clevenger has been optioned to Triple-A Norfolk.

Chicago Cubs ‏@Cubs 1m
#Cubs today acquired RHP Matt Guerrier from the #Dodgers for RHP Carlos Marmol and Chicago’s fourth international signing bonus slot.

So, basically, the Cubs gave the Dodgers international money for Marmol instead of sending money. Trading Torreyes to the Astros pretty much guarantees to me that the Cubs are going to sign Jiminez.
Yeah frankly I don't get the Marmol deal. They save a million dollars in salary and get the rights to another terrible old reliever in Guerrier and for that right they gave up international amateur money. Torreyes to Houston could be interesting if it opens the door for a Baez promotion and slides Alcantara over to second.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah frankly I don't get the Marmol deal. They save a million dollars in salary and get the rights to another terrible old reliever in Guerrier and for that right they gave up international amateur money. Torreyes to Houston could be interesting if it opens the door for a Baez promotion and slides Alcantara over to second.

Can this thread be changed to Cubs trades 2013 or something. Keep all trades here.

I think Alcantara moving to second has been a plan all along. The Marmol trade is a head scratcher.

czman

Liked Posts:

Chicago Cubs ‏@Cubs 1m

I wonder if the Dodgers wanted international money more than money. This may have been driven on their end.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm assuming because of the salary discrepancies (Marmol was owed about twice the money as Matt Guerrier), the Cubs had to throw in the pool money when they sent out Marmol. This hasn't been reported, just conjecture on my part. Either way, still like the Feldman trade. He was a "sell high" candidate all along -- he probably wasn't receiving a qualifying offer after the season and hadn't looked this good since his 17-win season back in '09. The Cubs acquired a former top prospect in Arietta and a guy in Strop who put together two decent relief seasons before coming a bit unglued this year. Both of them are just now entering arbitration, so it's a solid deal for the Cubs in the terms of having controllable assets going forward that should be mainstays at the major league level. You also gotta' like the pool money. I like the trade for the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130702&content_id=52454896&vkey=news_chc&c_id=chc

From it: With the three moves, the Cubs added $963,000 in international slot money, and upped their total pool to $5,520,300. The Cubs were believed to be the frontrunner for No. 1 international prospect Eloy Jimenez.

Lost Feldman, Marmol, Clevenger and Torreyes.

Added Jake Arrietta, Pedro Strop, Matt Guerrier and $963,000 bonus pool.

The Cubs will get $388,100 from the Orioles in international slot money, which may help them sign top prospect Eloy Jimenez.

The Dodgers will pay roughly $500,000 of the remaining $5 million on Marmol's contract. Guerrier has about $1.8 million remaining on the final year of a three-year, $12 million contract. Guerrier was designated for assignment on Sunday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Now personal opinion:

Feldman: Knew he was signed to flip. Don't care didn't expect much in return.

2 SP: Don't know squat about them. Don't really care at this point. 2 years ago Maholm was a gamble that paid off. This year Feldman was a gamble that paid off. Not predicting anything at this point.

Clevenger: He was not getting a shot.

Torreyes: Wood proved thathe alone was worth the cost of Marshall. Again don't care about what they did with the bonus plan.

Matt Guerrier. Not Marmol at least. Enough said.

More cash towards trying to get Eloy Jimenez. To be honest I haven't followed the international part of this year. Might care if I tried but again I would rather wait and see who they get and then see some hard data from minor league production. IMO unless we end up with a Puig out of it it really don't matter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
2013 INTERNATIONAL SIGNING BONUS POOLS

Club Allotment
Astros $4,243,700
Cubs $3,857,200 * now $5,520,300
Rockies $3,513,800
Twins $3,208,600
Indians $2,936,900
Marlins $2,695,200
Red Sox $2,479,900
Royals $2,288,100
Blue Jays $2,117,100
Mets $1,964,600
Mariners $1,880,000
Padres $1,800,800
Pirates $1,726,000
D-backs $1,655,700
Phillies $1,589,700
Brewers $1,527,300
White Sox $1,468,300
Dodgers $1,412,900
Cardinals $1,360,600
Tigers $1,311,200
Angels $1,293,700
Rays $1,276,500
Orioles $1,259,400
Rangers $1,242,700
Athletics $1,226,100
Giants $1,209,900
Braves $1,193,800
Yankees $1,177,900
Reds $1,162,100
Nationals $1,146,900

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Arrieta is apparently intriguing to the Padres who also want Garza. Could be that Arrieta's stay with the Cubs could be short. Just something that is floating out there right now. Also seen a few people suggest a move to the bullpen could help revive him with his good stuff. Not sure right now, but this will be interesting to see what Derek Johnson can do with him.

I had saw that rumor too. He will be packaged or sent into the bullpen. Arrieta's ERA history blows chunks, and a vault to the NL will help, but not that much.

You would figure that he will be packaged with someone like Garza or Soriano just because of him being under control for 2-1/2 years, and the same goes for Strop.

Strop has the best upside and his prior ERA is okay, but his WHIP is cause for concern.

This is what these deals are designed to do. Either these guys become players or potential players for the Cubs, or they are used to package in a trade. Call them additional prospects.

It isn't as if the Cubs were going to keep Feldman. Hey, he over-achieved, and the Cubs have saved some precious money that they apparently don't have and re-directed to other areas in need.

This trade doesn't bother me in the least. The rest of the class for the Cubs that are going to be traded however, does.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Nice to see more of these lateral/below average and fairly meaningless moves that are made to improve the team going forward.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH.......I CAN FEEL THE BIG ONE COMING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAAAABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This trade doesn't bother me in the least. The rest of the class for the Cubs that are going to be traded however, does.

There is still Hairston, Dejesus, Schierholtz and Gregg to mill through. So....