Scott Feldman traded to Orioles

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
There is still Hairston, Dejesus, Schierholtz and Gregg to mill through. So....

Maybe! They are all under control except for Gregg. I could see the Cubs bringing all of them back, then replacing Soriano with a filler. Heck, they might even splurge and bring in Jacoby Elsbury or David Murphy next year.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
so it's a solid deal for the Cubs in the terms of having controllable assets going forward that should be mainstays at the major league level. You also gotta' like the pool money. I like the trade for the Cubs.

If Strop and Arrieta are mainstays for the Cubs at the major league level, we are looking at many more top 5 picks.

Hell Arrieta can't even make the major league roster on this shit team, much less one that is supposedly going to be improved in the next couple years.

Hope you liked the pool money while it lasted, cause about half of it went to the Dodgers.

Oh my god, pool money!! :fap::faP::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:*

* = 100% baseball related content

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Oh my god, pool money!! :fap::faP::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:*

* = 100% baseball related content

Oh yes !!!!! Big boy...........pool money .....:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Where's Germhole, The Mighty Solar Flare, and the Asian Duet ??????????

Need more pool money................:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Feld man and Torreyes money could net this. We get Jimenez. It was worth what happened. He may be young and he may bust, but there are to many 6'4 200 pound kids at 16/17 years old.

Courtesy of IPL Baseball

Resides: Santo Domingo, DR

Age (Listed): 16

Background

Jimenez took part in the Dominican Prospect League games in February. He is so young that there is a lot to dream on here, but he will flash three above-average or better tools right now with the potential to grow into more.

If you are looking for the ideal international free-agent prospect, Jimenez doesn't quite fit the mold because he doesn't have much physical projection left. Most players who sign will be 16 or 17 years old, boast tremendous upside, grow into their bodies and will not be seen in a full-season league for two or three years.

Scouting Report

Ben Badler of Baseball America wrote on February 5, following two DPL showcase games, that some scouts had Jimenez as the top player on the field.

Right now the book on Jimenez is very impressive. He has a huge frame at 6'4" and 200 pounds, and it's likely that he will add more bulk as he ages. He is going to slow down, meaning his future is probably in a corner outfield spot.

Jimenez brings above-average bat speed, raw power and speed to the table. He also has a strong enough throwing arm to profile in right field. His speed will decrease as he gets bigger, but you can hope the bat speed and power develop as he gets experience against quality competition.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130621&content_id=51227800&c_id=mlb

In many ways, Eloy Jimenez is just like any normal 16-year-old.

Playing video games is a normal part of his life. Driving the family car without supervision isn't.

Jimenez loves playing sports, especially baseball, and joking around with his buddies. Talking about dating, on the other hand, is primarily a shoulder-shrugging exercise.

But when the young outfielder hits in the batting cages, throws from the outfield and runs the bases, it is clear that Jimenez is unlike anyone his age.

When he's between the baselines, Jimenez transforms from a tall and awkward teenager trying to find his way in the world into a 6-foot-4, 198-pound specimen who knows exactly what he wants to do with his life.

Jimenez, the latest crown jewel of Dominican Republic baseball, is ranked No. 1 on MLB.com's list of Top 30 International Prospects. He has an ideal profile for an outfielder and is widely regarded as the prize of this year's signing class.

"It's my dream to be a Major League baseball player, but I don't want to just get there," Jimenez said in Spanish. "I want to be one of the best players in the game and to ever come from the Dominican Republic."

The first goal for Jimenez and teenage prospects like him is to sign with a big league club, which they can begin doing when the international signing period begins on July 2. The next step would be to enter a big league academy in the Dominican Republic. Usually after two years, the organization that runs the academy will decide if the prospect is ready to start playing in the Minor Leagues. It's not uncommon for an international prospect to begin his pro career in the U.S. at 17.

"July 2, the day -- wow, it's a beautiful event," Jimenez said. "It's the day one of your dreams comes true. You deserve that moment, because of all the hard work you put in. I can't wait."

Including Jimenez, there are 19 players from the Dominican Republic, seven from Venezuela, two from Colombia and one each from Taiwan and Italy on the Top 30 list. The position breakdown is eight outfielders, 15 infielders, six pitchers and one catcher.

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, a 16-year-old international player can sign during the period that extends from July 2 through June 15 of the following year if the prospect turns 17 before Sept. 1 or by the completion of his first Minor League season. Additionally, any prospect who is already 17 or older and has not previously signed a Major or Minor League contract, resides outside the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and has not been enrolled in a high school or college in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico within the previous year is eligible to sign during the period.

"There's not a whole lot of depth pitching-wise, but this class has some depth in the outfield and some players that profile as shortstops," said Nationals international scouting director Johnny DiPuglia. "It's not a great class, but it's not a bad one, either, because it's a highly tooled group with a lot of upside and some good bodies. Few have the game-performance skill set, though."

Jimenez, who is from the Villa Francisca neighborhood of Santo Domingo, might be an exception. He is considered to be the complete package.

He started playing baseball at age 9 and played all around the infield until three years later, when he moved to the outfield. At 14, he caught the eye of trainer/agent Amauris Nina during a youth league game and immediately began working with him. His signing will mark the culmination of almost two years of training.

Nina estimated that Jimenez has worked out privately for each of the 30 big league teams at least three or four times over the past year. The star of Nina's International Prospect League, Jimenez was also a regular at MLB Amateur Prospect League games.

"I can honestly say that I feel like I'm his second father, because he lives with me and is part of my family," Nina said. "He plays with my kids. He eats what we eat and has all of the same rules my kids have. He's just better at baseball."

That's an understatement.

Scouts are impressed with Jimenez's intelligence, speed and gap-to-gap power, which is expected to improve as he gets older.

2013 international signing bonus POOLS
A look at the combined value of each team's four slot values that comprise its international free agent bonus pool*:

Club

Allotment

Astros $4,243,700
Cubs $3,857,200
Rockies $3,513,800
Twins $3,208,600
Indians $2,936,900
Marlins $2,695,200
Red Sox $2,479,900
Royals $2,288,100
Blue Jays $2,117,100
Mets $1,964,600
Mariners $1,880,000
Padres $1,800,800
Pirates $1,726,000
D-backs $1,655,700
Phillies $1,589,700
Brewers $1,527,300
White Sox $1,468,300
Dodgers $1,412,900
Cardinals $1,360,600
Tigers $1,311,200
Angels $1,293,700
Rays $1,276,500
Orioles $1,259,400
Rangers $1,242,700
Athletics $1,226,100
Giants $1,209,900
Braves $1,193,800
Yankees $1,177,900
Reds $1,162,100
Nationals $1,146,900

*Each team is also allotted $700,000 in addition to its bonus pool.

He's been praised as an advanced hitter with quick hands and he is expected to hit for average. On defense, Jimenez projects to be a corner outfielder, likely a right fielder because of his arm strength and athletic ability. He also runs the bases well and has the potential to be a basestealer.

The biggest knock on Jimenez? He might be too nice.

"I'm really excited, a little nervous and curious who I sign with, but I don't feel any pressure," Jimenez said. "I feel like I've done a great job so far. I know there are going to be highs and lows, but I'm staying positive. I'm ready to be a professional."

Jimenez is expected to command a seven-figure signing bonus, but the rules in place for the international signing period have changed.

In accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each club was allotted $2.9 million to spend on the international market during the signing period that began last July 2. This year's international signing period will work similar to last year's, but all clubs won't have the same amount to spend. Those number have changed according to each team's record in 2012, with the pools ranging from just under $4.25 million for the Astros, who had the Majors' lowest winning percentage, to just under $1.15 million for the Nationals, who had the highest winning percentage.

Each team is allotted a $700,000 base. In addition to that base, each team gets a signing bonus pool that is made up of four slot values, based on its 2012 record. Additionally, clubs are allowed to trade pool money.

Like last year, there are exemptions. Clubs can sign six players for bonuses of $50,000 or less, and those do not count against the allotment. All bonuses of $10,000 or less are also exempt.

The international signing guidelines do not apply to players who previously signed a contract with a Major or Minor League club, nor do they apply to players who are least 23 years old and have played as a professional in a league recognized by the Commissioner's Office for a minimum of five seasons. Cuban players who are at least 23 and have played in a Cuban professional league for three or more seasons are also exempt.

"With the new rules in place, I believe teams have to have a plan -- know what next year's group will look like and be creative," said Joel Araujo, manager of Latin American game development for MLB. "It's all part of the changing international landscape, and it will be interesting to see how clubs operate and which will do well. I think anybody that tells you that they know exactly how it will all play out is not being honest."

Another change could be on the way.

In May, MLB and the Players Association agreed to table talks regarding an International Draft for players like Jimenez until the current CBA expires after the 2016 season.

If all goes according to plan, Jimenez will be a star in the Minor Leagues and on his way to the big leagues when the idea of an International Draft is revisited.

"I don't think just about me," Jimenez said. "I think about mom, buying her a house and taking care of my family. I want to be like my idol Roberto Clemente and help people by being a good person. I'd also love to be in the Hall of Fame."

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Sign Gleyber Torres
By Tim Dierkes [July 2, 2013 at 10:59am CST]
The Cubs made a big international signing today, inking 16-year-old Venezuelan shortstop Gleyber Torres to a $1.7MM deal according to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez. Torres ranked second among international prospects on the list from Baseball America's Ben Badler, and third on MLB.com's list. The Cubs also signed Dominican righty Jefferson Mejia for $850K today, but still have plenty to spend given their $4,557,200 pool.

Torres has "the potential for five average or better tools," wrote Badler, who noted that he has drawn comparisons to Freddy Sanchez.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scouting Grades* (present/future): Hit: 4/6 | Power: 4/6 | Run: 4/4 | Arm: 5/6 | Field: 5/5
The top player from Venezuela in this year's class, Gleyber does everything well. He has a smooth compact swing and the ball jumps off his bat. Scouts like that he can spray the ball all over the field with power and believe he has a chance to be a special hitter.

A solid defender, Torres has excellent hands, great feet and he's known to have an accurate arm with above-average strength. He's impressed scouts with his ability to make all of the routine plays and an occasional great play. He is particularly adept on his glove-hand side and continues to show improvement on all-around defense.

Torres isn't the biggest prospect on the field but he has an athletic build and is strong for his size. Scouts have taken notice of his baseball instincts and his leadership abilities, and he quickly built a reputation as a fundamentally sound player. Torres trains with Ciro Barrios in Maracay.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maybe! They are all under control except for Gregg. I could see the Cubs bringing all of them back, then replacing Soriano with a filler. Heck, they might even splurge and bring in Jacoby Elsbury or David Murphy next year.

Depends on the return. From what they have been doing: signed Bog and Sweeney it shows the plan was to use them as trade bait. It don't matter that Dejesus or Sweeney got hurt as this was the intention. Now with a look at reality: Dejesus should be getting back soon. While that is happening Bog is getting playing time at CF. Sweeney comes back right around the dead line. So right now they could lose 2 and still have the player depth to cover it. Sweeney has proven he can hit LH pitching. Bog needs to prove this at the major league level. He proved he can hit both at Iowa. So I do not see the need to run platoon's post deadline. Hairston has proven that he can hit RH pitching. This year's production is not going to effect his trade value. His playing time was limited and when he got some stable AB's it did improve. He has another year of control which just ups his return value. Same with Schierholtz. IMO they need to move away from platoons and use OF depth for late inning D to save what Sori's got in the tank. So maybe promoting Junior Lake to be a sub player and give players days off. Burbon for late inning replacement.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs Sign No. 16 International Prospect Erling Moreno
July 2, 2013 by Ben Badler

Colombian righthander Erling Moreno, the No. 16 international prospect for July 2, has signed with the Cubs for $800,000.

Moreno, 16, is 6-foot-3, 190 pounds with a fastball that reaches 90 mph. With his size, he projects to become a power pitcher down the road. He trains with Edinson Renteria.

Baseball America subscribers can access a complete scouting report on Moreno, along with reports on more of the top international prospects on the market.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
SilenceS;932903 "I don't think just about me said:
:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have signed Venezuelan shortstop Gleyber Torres, the No. 2 international prospect for July 2. Here is our complete scouting report on Torres from before July 2. Baseball America subscribers can access more scouting reports on the top 30 international prospects, along with reports on more of the top international prospects on the market.

2. Gleyber Torres, ss, Venezuela
Born: Dec. 13, 1996. Ht.: 5-11. Wt.: 185. B-T: R-R.

Every year trainer Ciro Barrios has some of the most expensive players in Venezuela. His best prospect yet, Barreto, signed with the Blue Jays last year for $1.45 million, and Torres is the top Venezuelan prospect this year, though he isn’t as advanced as Barreto.

Torres is a savvy player with present skills and the potential for five average or better tools. He has a clean, compact stroke, hits in games and shows good power projection, although he mostly works the gaps right now. He has good bat speed and hand-eye coordination to put the ball in play, although he can be a bit of a front-foot hitter and tends to pull off the ball at times.

Some scouts believe Torres is a true shortstop, while others think he’s not athletic enough. He could end up being a guy who splits time between shortstop, third base and second base, with a skill set that draws comparisons to Freddy Sanchez. He has good hands and a strong arm, but he doesn’t have the classic wiry shortstop frame and is already fairly filled out. Back in November, Torres showed above-average speed, but more recently he’s been running closer to average.

Some scouts wonder if Torres has just been coasting because he knows it’s unlikely anyone has the budget to pay him more than the Cubs, the team he’s most associated with. He’s expected to be the top-paid player in Venezuela, and some scouts prefer him to Jimenez. The two may end up being teammates soon.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry for all the post, but this is what todays trade were about. The Cubs are trying to bombard there system with prospects. This is not a bad thing. Feldman was not going to be here past this year and wasn't going to net much of anything, anyway. Jimenez is the Cubs target and if they get him. I am satisfied with what the Cubs have done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sorry for all the post, but this is what todays trade were about. The Cubs are trying to bombard there system with prospects. This is not a bad thing. Feldman was not going to be here past this year and wasn't going to net much of anything, anyway. Jimenez is the Cubs target and if they get him. I am satisfied with what the Cubs have done.

I'll agree with that. Over all the players lost do not matter.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I also believe the Torreyes trade was for Alcantara to move to second for the majority of his playing time. Maybe this is a sign of bringing Baez to double A and having them start to play together.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just another small deal Cubs make. Nothing that helps team now and they pray it helps 5+ yrs down the road. Dont have problem with it. Got exactly what i thought they would for SP that had ERA over 5 last year signed on a 1 yr deal

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just another small deal Cubs make. Nothing that helps team now and they pray it helps 5+ yrs down the road. Dont have problem with it. Got exactly what i thought they would for SP that had ERA over 5 last year signed on a 1 yr deal

todays deal were made for the the purpose to get extra pool money to be able to add the international talent that they wanted today, and they now have the most money available of all teams to land the big fish in jiminez.

I think the marmol deal was made just to be able to get someone for him instead of just outright losing him for nothing and eating the money.

Reactions: X

Willrust

Liked Posts:
I love how people blast the Cubs for the signing of a FA. Then when the player is traded, the same people blast the Cubs for trading that same player.