Scott Feldman traded to Orioles

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Strop and Arrieta are mainstays for the Cubs at the major league level, we are looking at many more top 5 picks.

Hell Arrieta can't even make the major league roster on this shit team, much less one that is supposedly going to be improved in the next couple years.

Hope you liked the pool money while it lasted, cause about half of it went to the Dodgers.

Oh my god, pool money!!
:fap::faP::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:*

* = 100% baseball related content

Actually, only $210,000 went to the Dodgers in the Marmol trade.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
So we trade a decent pitcher, who can also swing the bat a little for 2 pitchers who suck, but are supposed to be good?? :thinking:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So we trade a decent pitcher, who can also swing the bat a little for 2 pitchers who suck, but are supposed to be good?? :thinking:

First off, pitchers that are better hitters than other pitchers...are still just pitchers...I mean, he was just traded to an AL team....

That being said, we traded him for two pitchers that have some upside and could use a change of scenery. That's about the best we were gonna get for a pitcher who's #s are likely to regress...especially in the ALE.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MLBTR's Tim Dierkes reports that Arrieta has two year and 99 days of service time, meaning that the Cubs can avoid Super Two status if he accumulates less than 53 days of service time this season (Twitter link). If Arrieta picks up fewer than 73 days of service time, he will be controllable through the 2017 season.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
todays deal were made for the the purpose to get extra pool money to be able to add the international talent that they wanted today, and they now have the most money available of all teams to land the big fish in jiminez.

I think the marmol deal was made just to be able to get someone for him instead of just outright losing him for nothing and eating the money.

Yep..again very small deal. Money for a 16 y/o that wont help in the next 5 yrs and thats IF he makes it. I get what they doing. I get what there doing and agree with it. I have no problem with deal. Problem is some Cub fans acting like Cubs made a great trade. Not saying here but over twitter i have different quotes saying that Theo done it again by raping another GM etc. One blogger saying they had a great week in 1 day. We have no idea how good trade was and wont for another 5+ yrs. I dont expect much out of Arrieta or RP but if 1 pans out great. It was worth signing Feldman for 3 months

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
ChicagoCubsOnline ‏@TheCCO 4m
RT @JesseSanchezMLB Source:Eloy Jimenez & fam decide on #Cubs but another team was in mix & offered more $$. Expect announcement in few days

Cubs luck he sign with another team (prolly STL somehow) and become a stud lol

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
ChicagoCubsOnline ‏@TheCCO 4m
RT @JesseSanchezMLB Source:Eloy Jimenez & fam decide on #Cubs but another team was in mix & offered more $$. Expect announcement in few days

Cubs luck he sign with another team (prolly STL somehow) and become a stud lol
If that happens, I'm gonna find you, and hurt you for jinxing it. Great news though, now will the Cubs have any more money to sign more international players after this or is he gonna be the last and best signing from the group? One other thing... what defines international player? I always wondered why Japan and was separate etc.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

so far pedro strop has been really good for the cubs.. 6 games 5.2 IP 0 ER 2 H 2 BB 7 K

Jake arrieta not so good in IOWA, 2 GS 4 IP 7+ ERA

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
FWIW I was OK with the Feldman deal considering he was brought in to be sold.

The return so far has been better than I think most of us in here expected.

However, I don't think signing players to deal them is a great way towards sustained success.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the interest of complete honesty here fisch you didn't say any of that at the time, but you were thanking away KB's posts including these gems:
Arrieta sucks. Period.

Strop was great last year. Sucks this year.

Didn't have to look that up.

But oh my god, International spending money!!!! *
Nope.

But they didn't get anything decent back.

Duquette in Baltimore hired a new organizational pitching coach that did wonders with Chris Tillman and Matusz but couldn't fix Arrieta.

He sucks.

There is very little, if any, value returned in the deal other than warm bodies.*
Arrieta is already a losing lottery ticket.

Strop might still be a lottery ticket if he can regain his form from last year.

Depending on how much international money it is, it is likely fairly useless.

All this does is totally reinforce my opinion that Dan Duquette > Theo Epstein.*
Jonah Keri appears to be a very smart person indeed.*

* =100% baseball related content
Nope.

I prefer to make up my own mind on baseball analysis and don't let others do the thinking for me.

I watch games.*

I have no qualms with Feldman being traded.

Not just going to act like the Cubs got back more than they really did and blister myself over it like many will do.*

If Strop and Arrieta are mainstays for the Cubs at the major league level, we are looking at many more top 5 picks.

Hell Arrieta can't even make the major league roster on this shit team, much less one that is supposedly going to be improved in the next couple years.

Hope you liked the pool money while it lasted, cause about half of it went to the Dodgers.

Oh my god, pool money!! :faP:*

* = 100% baseball related content
This is from Mt. Salami which highlights exactly the type of thinking I was citing in the Hammel thread
Nice to see more of these lateral/below average and fairly meaningless moves that are made to improve the team going forward.

OOOOOHHHHHHHHH.......I CAN FEEL THE BIG ONE COMING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................OOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH .....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAAAABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yes !!!!! Big boy...........pool money .....

Where's Germhole, The Mighty Solar Flare, and the Asian Duet ??????????

Need more pool money................

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The return so far has been better than I think most of us in here expected.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Said today which is the point. You were all on board with the step back crap when Feldman was traded last year given the contributions you made in this thread at the time. We will see about Hammel when the time comes is the point I raised instead of your 1 step forward shtick you learned from that meatball crew.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Said today which is the point. You were all on board with the step back crap when Feldman was traded last year given the contributions you made in this thread at the time. We will see about Hammel when the time comes is the point I raised instead of your 1 step forward shtick you learned from that meatball crew.

Oh well. Not the first time I was wrong on the internet.

Not the last time either.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh well. Not the first time I was wrong on the internet.

Not the last time either.
Yet you insist on the same line of thinking that lead you to the wrong conclusion last year?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yet you insist on the same line of thinking that lead you to the wrong conclusion last year?

And yet, Paul Maholm's return has netted absolutely nothing of value for the MLB level.

At best its a coin flip.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And yet, Paul Maholm's return has netted absolutely nothing of value for the MLB level.

At best its a coin flip.

A coin flip for what would amount to having nothing since Hammel, Maholm and Feldman all are/were on 1 year deals. As for that approach, they've managed to get 3 quality years for $16.75 mil as well as Arrieta, Strop, Vizcaino and whatever Hammel returns. If that's not a great way toward sustained success what is? I mean let's say they'd signed Mark Buehrle in 2012 instead. He got 4 years $58 mil. In the three years he's played on that deal he's had ERA's of 3.74, 4.15, and 2.28 in half a year this year. Is what he gave any better than what they got out of those 3 pitchers? And that's before you consider the cubs actually got additional cheap players on top of that pitching.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

At best its a coin flip.
vizcaino has come back really well after his injury and at 23 he should be a big part of the pitching staff in 2015 and beyond

jaye Chapman was a nice pick up, but unfortunately he suffered a hip injury that knocked him out..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Hammel, like Feldman pitched significantly better than his career average in his stint with the Cubs. And the Cubs have done a great job at getting "Max" value. Once he went to the AL Feldman's stats dropped back to average as did Maholm and likely Hammel. Better to trade them because Feldman's value will likely never be as high as it was last July and Hammel's has never been as high as it is now.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
vizcaino has come back really well after his injury and at 23 he should be a big part of the pitching staff in 2015 and beyond

jaye Chapman was a nice pick up, but unfortunately he suffered a hip injury that knocked him out..

How do you guarantee Vizcaino's durability to anoint him as being a big part of the staff 2015 and beyond?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
How do you guarantee Vizcaino's durability to anoint him as being a big part of the staff 2015 and beyond?
how do you guarantee anyone durability ? you cant.

you go by what their doing on the field now and as he is being productive and continues he will be a big part of team going forward..