Scott Feldman traded to Orioles

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Appears real:
@keithlaw Orioles acquire Scott Feldman and Tony Clevenger from the Cubs for Jake Arrietta, Pedro Strop, and int'l bonus slots.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure of any of the names, so I'll save my opinion on the return for after I look them up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jake Arrieta is 27 and has struggled at the big league level. Was a pretty highly thought of arm at one point. I believe Strop is another guy with question marks with good stuff. And the bonus slots become important because Cubs have spent up to their limit practically and are still linked to the biggest bonus baby in the pool.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jake Arrieta is 27 and has struggled at the big league level. Was a pretty highly thought of arm at one point. I believe Strop is another guy with question marks with good stuff. And the bonus slots become important because Cubs have spent up to their limit practically and are still linked to the biggest bonus baby in the pool.

Yeah didn't we just sign 2 guys? think I saw it on BR. Now I'm assuming we go after Jimenez with that extra cash.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
About what I expected for Feldman. Nothing great -- but he's probably already pitched the best baseball he's going to pitch this season.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta sucks. Period.

Strop was great last year. Sucks this year.

Didn't have to look that up.

But oh my god, International spending money!!!! :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

What were you expecting, Bundy?

About what I expected for Feldman. Nothing great -- but he's probably already pitched the best baseball he's going to pitch this season.
Sounds about right, we're lucky that he pitched the best baseball of his career for us so we got anything decent back.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Meh, wanted Jimenez but was hoping we could get the spending money for him without giving up someone that could have netted us a decent prospect. Now we get two guys who are doing awful at the major league level, guess we have a new Marmol heir apparent. :cubstroll:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arrieta sucks. Period.

Strop was great last year. Sucks this year.

Didn't have to look that up.

But oh my god, International spending money!!!! :fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
I thought this would be better than lottery tickets...

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Is Carlos Villanueva going back to the starting rotation or are the Cubs going to bring someone up from the minors?

Can Kyle Hendricks come up from AA?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Meh, wanted Jimenez but was hoping we could get the spending money for him without giving up someone that could have netted us a decent prospect. Now we get two guys who are doing awful at the major league level, guess we have a new Marmol heir apparent.

Strop was really good the last two years (sub 2.5 era both seasons) so I'm not sure what's going on w/ him...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Carlos Villanueva going back to the starting rotation or are the Cubs going to bring someone up from the minors?

Can Kyle Hendricks come up from AA?

Arrieta and Strop are both going on the major league roster I would guess. I believe both are out of options at this point. So I am guessing this means that Dave Sappelt is not in fact being called up tonight.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
What were you expecting, Bundy?

Sounds about right, we're lucky that he pitched the best baseball of his career for us so we got anything decent back.

Nope.

But they didn't get anything decent back.

Duquette in Baltimore hired a new organizational pitching coach that did wonders with Chris Tillman and Matusz but couldn't fix Arrieta.

He sucks.

There is very little, if any, value returned in the deal other than warm bodies.*

* =100% baseball related content

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal on the trade:
Arrieta could make #Orioles look bad if he figures it out. So could Strop if he rebounds. Feldman potential FA, unlikely to get qual offer..

Danny Knobler on the trade:
Shows how high the price of pitching is. Arrieta hasn't had success, but he has as much talent as any pitching prospect out there.

Keith Law on the trade:
Fair both ways, IMO. RT @Hockey442: @Ken_Rosenthal @keithlaw initial thoughts on who got the best value?

LoneStarBaseball on former Ranger Strop:
Strop has a good arm. Converted outfielder. Rangers front office liked him more than coaching staff. Nice pickup there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rusin is making the start tonight :(

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I thought this would be better than lottery tickets...

Arrieta is already a losing lottery ticket.

Strop might still be a lottery ticket if he can regain his form from last year.

Depending on how much international money it is, it is likely fairly useless.

All this does is totally reinforce my opinion that Dan Duquette > Theo Epstein.*

* =100% baseball related content

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And to make sure that I am not accused of bias, Jonah Keri on the trade:
My unabashed Dan Duquette fandom showing no signs of slowing down.