The Final Countdown: White Sox Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1 week to go. Post all the rumors here as there will be a ton of them.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Peavy, Rios, Ramirez, Lindstrom all will be dealt and doubt Crain get dealt. I think Crain will be checked out and just need some rest. He could be a waiver-trade in August.

My Predictions: Peavy to the Red Sox (with Clay Buchholz injury), Rios to the Pirates (Alen Henson comes to us), Ramirez to the Cards (no idea who we get), Lindstrom to Braves with Peavy.

Report from Jon Heyman

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/22890434/red-sox-need-to-beat-cards-as-others-for-peav

The Red Sox need to go get Jake Peavy. They have little other choice now.

The prospect-laden Cardinals plus the always dangerous A's are thought by people familiar with the talks to be the other two main teams in a big mix for Peavy. But Boston needs Peavy more, has an even better reserve of prospects from which to trade and is locked in just as tough a battle for the division crown as the other two teams, if not tougher.

Word is going around that the Red Sox are mulling over a play for a third baseman with rookie Jose Iglesias starting to come back to earth, and they're always looking for bullpen help. But in a tight, tough battle, the best place to make a difference would be the rotation.

And in a starting pitching market weaker than Anthony Weiner's excuses, Peavy looks like the ace he can be.

Yes, I know Boston's starting crew has done a nice job. But they have to be worried about star right-hander Clay Buchholz, the best starter in the league early. Buchholz was finally cleared this week to start a comeback but may still be weeks away, at least. He has already had a few setbacks with his neck, so there are no guarantees.

There's no doubt the Red Sox did a terrific job this winter identifying players who could help them at reasonable prices, landing Mike Napoli, Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, and let's not forget Mike Carp. But they are ensconsed in a difficult competition with the Rays and Orioles now, and they can't just keep their fingers crossed that Buchholz will be back and that Jon Lester will return to being a stud.

The Red Sox haven't invested $170 million to rely on finger crossing. They need to remove the luck from the equation.

"Buchholz will be back," Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said. "Not a major issue when it comes to the trade deadline but we are working like every other team is. There is no particular target right now.''

That may be so, but Boston surely has positive reports on the universally liked Peavy from pitching coach Juan Nieves, who was the bullpen coach with the White Sox, and also from Matt Thornton, who was a late-inning reliever with the White Sox until Boston recently acquired him in trade.

The Red Sox have no excuses, as they easily have the wherewithal to get it done. Twenty million total through next year shouldn't faze them (Peavy makes $14.5 million this year and next). They passed on Matt Garza for some reason, but they shouldn't pass here.

Boston is known to be pretty possessive of its better prospects. But this would be a good time to make an exception. No one has a better prospect list than the Red Sox, and with so many very good ones on their rosters they won't have to consider including either of their top two guys, shortstop Xander Bogaerts or center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

Even taking those two out of the equation, the Red Sox prospect list is imposing. It includes pitchers Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, Anthony Ranaudo, Henry Owens, Matt Barnes, Brandon Workman and Drake Britton, third baseman Gavin Cecchini, catcher Christian Vazquez, outfielder Bryce Brentz and others.

They've done a spectacular job drafting players, and that trade with the Dodgers is the gift of a lifetime, but there's no sense hoarding prospects. Pick two prospects, and make a deal.

They've already made one deal with the White Sox, and there's no good reason they don't make a bigger one now.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
I want to see us make moves with the Cards, Red Sox and Pirates. They have really good farms.

Wonder if the Braves would give up Heyward for Peavy.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade all of them to the Cardinals for Oscar Taveras

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I want to see us make moves with the Cards, Red Sox and Pirates. They have really good farms.

Wonder if the Braves would give up Heyward for Peavy.

OK, I need to eat what you eat. This made me laugh hard.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
@Ken_Rosenthal: Minor note: Sources tell me and @jonmorosi that #BlueJays asked about #WhiteSox’s Beckham earlier this season. No active talks now.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 5m
It'll be interesting to see if contenders try to structure a conditional trade for Jesse Crain based on how much he's able to pitch Aug/Sept

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, I need to eat what you eat. This made me laugh hard.

its not really impossible. he is having a horrible year almost viciedo esque as far as age and numbers. pitching > hitting as well.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Either way I dont want peavy making another start

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
I don't think he will. I think he's going to be moved for sure. Too many teams in the hunt need starters. I think Rios is gone as well. Kenny was spotted in the area of the Pirates double A team where Blanco plays.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
I was mainly spitballing with the Peavy and Braves trade. They say the price is high so I wondered if we packaged Peavy with a guy like Lindstrom or even Crain for a guy like Heyward who has struggled.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised that a team would actually be interested in Beckham. Wonder what the Blue Jays would've given for him. If I was Hahn I'd be willing to listen to offers. Only thing that Beckham has going for him to keep him on team is the ability to play three infield positions.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprised that a team would actually be interested in Beckham. Wonder what the Blue Jays would've given for him. If I was Hahn I'd be willing to listen to offers. Only thing that Beckham has going for him to keep him on team is the ability to play three infield positions.

the setback kinda sucks.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
He played tonight. Keep playing and show something. We've gota find away to pry some really good prospects out of STL, BOS or PIT and maybe even TEX if they go for Rios

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
The Braves farm is not that good that's why I was wondering if we could pry a young MLB ready player

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even if a team's farm isn't highly ranked, it doesn't mean there isn't talent. Obviously there is going to be more talent with higher ceilings on the teams with a good farm, but as White Sox fans we should know that good major league talent can come from the worst farm systems.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
The Braves trade prospects and they haven't worked out. This from a friend who is a Braves fan.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Braves trade prospects and they haven't worked out. This from a friend who is a Braves fan.

That may or may not be true. I think that depends on the team the player is traded too. Maybe the scouts thought he would improve in an area and he didn't, or perhaps the coaching wasn't a good fit. There are lots of variables. In the end, trading for prospects is a gamble, but with the coaching staff the White Sox have and Hahn apparently being a "genius" I think it's a good bet to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.