If the Bulls had Nikola Mirotic, would they be rightful title favorites?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this season?

C- Joakim Noah. Taj Gibson.
PF- Nikola Mirotic. Carlos Boozer.
SF- Luol Deng. Tony Snell.
SG- Jimmy Butler. Kirk Hinrich.
PG- Derrick Rose. Marquis Teague.

Follow-up question: If you think they would be favorites, do you also think the Bulls should go ahead and re-sign Luol Deng and Jimmy Butler and keep this core group going forward into the foreseeable future?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not because of a rookie from Europe...and no he wouldn't be starting over Boozer.

I don't know if he would be starting over Boozer, this season, hypothetically. My guess is not. However, I believe that Mirotic would be the more important player in a playoff series vs. the Heat or Thunder than Boozer due to his superior all-around scoring ability. What the Bulls need desperately is a legitimate second scoring option to Derrick Rose so I believe that will end up being a lethal pick-and-pop combination once the F.O. finally does decide to bring him over.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know if he would be starting over Boozer, this season, hypothetically. My guess is not. However, I believe that Mirotic would be the more important player in a playoff series vs. the Heat or Thunder than Boozer due to his superior all-around scoring ability. What the Bulls need desperately is a legitimate second scoring option to Derrick Rose so I believe that will end up being a lethal pick-and-pop combination once the F.O. finally does decide to bring him over.

You're assuming he'll be a good NBA player

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
No they wouldn't be...

I don't think he makes them better than Miami or even Indiana at this point.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're assuming he'll be a good NBA player

Fair enough but I don't know if that is a bad assumption. Mirotic was the MVP of the Spanish League and averaged 50+% overall/40+% from three/90+% from the line. From at least one accounts I've heard, Mirotic could have been picked #1 overall in the draft a month ago by Cleveland if he had been available. That is not to say that he won't end up being the next Kwame Brown/Adam Morrison as opposed to the Dirk Nowitzki type. But it definitely gives one hope.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fair enough but I don't know if that is a bad assumption. Mirotic was the MVP of the Spanish League and averaged 50+% overall/40+% from three/90+% from the line. From at least one accounts I've heard, Mirotic could have been picked #1 overall in the draft a month ago by Cleveland if he had been available. That is not to say that he won't end up being the next Kwame Brown/Adam Morrison as opposed to the Dirk Nowitzki type. But it definitely gives one hope.

Don't care. An unproven euro would not make the Bulls title contenders.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No they wouldn't be...

I don't think he makes them better than Miami or even Indiana at this point.

Not sold on Indiana being favorites over the Bulls. I remember when people were pointing at NY's starting line-up and comparing the talent to the Bulls (i.e. Boozer vs. Amare; Chandler vs. Noah; Deng vs. Anthony; Fields vs. Bogans) and saying that the Bulls would get stomped. The Bulls and Pacers are very similar teams- defensive-minded, good rebounding, semi-decent depth- with one exception: Derrick Rose. Last year, it was pretty obvious Indiana would be better with D-Rose out but I don't see a healthy Bulls team losing to Indiana in a seven-game series.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't care. An unproven euro would not make the Bulls title contenders.

The Bulls have already been title contenders for two years before Derrick Rose tore his ACL. That isn't the issue; it's whether Mirotic would make them rightful favorites. It is a hard question to answer right now, granted, but we might get the chance to find out soon.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Mirotic would need at least a year, to get himself accustomed to the NBA.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sold on Indiana being favorites over the Bulls. I remember when people were pointing at NY's starting line-up and comparing the talent to the Bulls (i.e. Boozer vs. Amare; Chandler vs. Noah; Deng vs. Anthony; Fields vs. Bogans) and saying that the Bulls would get stomped. The Bulls and Pacers are very similar teams- defensive-minded, good rebounding, semi-decent depth- with one exception: Derrick Rose. Last year, it was pretty obvious Indiana would be better with D-Rose out but I don't see a healthy Bulls team losing to Indiana in a seven-game series.

Indiana >>>>> Chicago rather easily. You're assuming Rose comes back like he was too. NY finished with the 2 seed. The Bulls were the 5. Seems people were right.

All the Bulls best players have major question marks and/or injury issues

I love Bulls fans assuming health constantly, when their team hasn't been healthy in 4 years

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bulls have already been title contenders for two years before Derrick Rose tore his ACL. That isn't the issue; it's whether Mirotic would make them rightful favorites. It is a hard question to answer right now, granted, but we might get the chance to find out soon.

No it's not a hard question. An unproven euro would not make this Bulls team rightful contenders.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This Build team is far worse overall than those Rose teams from 2 years ago. They are irrelevant.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mirotic would need at least a year, to get himself accustomed to the NBA.

I wonder if he would need to be on superstar level in order to make the Bulls a "complete" team. If he came on and gave the Bulls more dependable offense, that just might be the recipe to dethrone Miami- even if he didn't come over right away and average 20 points. I'm not necessarily saying that Mirotic would need to be a stretch 4 on MVP-contending level; I wonder if he could give the Bulls the competitive edge over the other title contender just on Rookie of the Year-contending level.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
He wouldn't have to be on a superstar level. Just fill the needs and be efficient, then the rest settles on other players.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if he would need to be on superstar level in order to make the Bulls a "complete" team. If he came on and gave the Bulls more dependable offense, that just might be the recipe to dethrone Miami- even if he didn't come over right away and average 20 points. I'm not necessarily saying that Mirotic would need to be a stretch 4 on MVP-contending level; I wonder if he could give the Bulls the competitive edge over the other title contender just on Rookie of the Year-contending level.

No.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This Build team is far worse overall than those Rose teams from 2 years ago. They are irrelevant.

I wouldn't say far worse overall, personally. Their depth has diminished but they added Jimmy Butler who is young and very solid all-around. A lot depends on his development where I fear that he will max out on his offensive ceiling far sooner than he will defensively and on intangibles.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't say far worse overall, personally. Their depth has diminished but they added Jimmy Butler who is young and very solid all-around. A lot depends on his development where I fear that he will max out on his offensive ceiling far sooner than he will defensively and on intangibles.

I would. Butler is unproven over the long haul. Next topic.