onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
You said I didn't know what the song was about. Apparently there is no consensus on what it is about to the point that a band mate and person who interviewed Mercury about it admit it is random and does contain some nonsense in it.

Hence the song title

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hence the song title

And hence why I said it is really not a great example of lyrical genius. It is a great song because of the musical composition and Mercury genius as a performer.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Ok give me a rock song or artist that rhymes words within a line? Saying something has basic words strung together in the most simplistic way does not preclude the song from still conveying a message or mood well. That comment is about the structure of the lyrics not the overall quality.

The point is the art forms are different. When I listen to rock, it is more about the instruments and the mood created by the singer not necessarily the words which again are not that complex technically or structurally.

When I listen to rap, I am listening for the multi-syllabic rhymes, their ability to rhyme words within a given line, and their ability to use double entendres and puns. It is a completely different measure.

Sounds like you're listening to the wrong "rock" music.

Go listen to some Modest Mouse or Queens of the Stone Age.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
And hence why I said it is really not a great example of lyrical genius. It is a great song because of the musical composition and Mercury genius as a performer.

:obama:

Woah

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok give me a rock song or artist that rhymes words within a line? Saying something has basic words strung together in the most simplistic way does not preclude the song from still conveying a message or mood well. That comment is about the structure of the lyrics not the overall quality.

The point is the art forms are different. When I listen to rock, it is more about the instruments and the mood created by the singer not necessarily the words which again are not that complex technically or structurally.

When I listen to rap, I am listening for the multi-syllabic rhymes, their ability to rhyme words within a given line, and their ability to use double entendres and puns. It is a completely different measure.

if you rhyme twice within a line, the lyrics are more complex? So if song lyrics included "flat" and "bat" in one line, would they be mind blowing to you?

Also, why does a song need to rhyme at all? I listen to songs that have no rhyming schemes at all. They're songs that tell stories..

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
if you rhyme twice within a line, the lyrics are more complex? So if song lyrics included "flat" and "bat" in one line, would they be mind blowing to you?

Also, why does a song need to rhyme at all? I listen to songs that have no rhyming schemes at all. They're songs that tell stories..

No They Don't!

Every rock song is like Bohemian Rhapsody...exactly like it man!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No one said a song needs to rhyme to be good. Prose is a less complex structure than a rhyme but that doesn't mean that it is better or worse. It just means it is technically more complex. Just like it is technically more complex to compose a sonnet than a regular rhyme because a sonnet requires you to follow more restrictive rules in its composition.

The point is Rap music and Rock music are fundamentally different so the poster who was trying to judge rap music based on things more relevant to rock and roll was off base. Put another way rap to me is words accompanied by music or a beat. Rock is music accompanied by words. The focus is different.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
this makes me want to break out my judgment night soundtrack

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhyme_scheme

Just a quick blurb on rhyme schemes. Again, this is from a technical aspect. You can still have a basic rhyme scheme that from an artistic perspective is better than a more complex rhyme scheme but point is certain rhyme schemes are technically more complex. Rap is far more concerned with that complexity than rock music is.

Nas and Eminem for example get props because they use a lot of multi's or internal rhymes. Jay-Z and Little Wayne are known more for puns and double entendres.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
has anyone ever rapped in iambic pentameter?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
has anyone ever rapped in iambic pentameter?

It could be argued that a lot of rap is done in Iambic Pentameter. Eminem has a few songs that have verses in it. I believe 'The Kids' is one of them and as the below teacher noted in trying to get his kids to see the value in studying Shakespeare, the first verse of I am is allegedly in IP. Now I haven't bothered to prove it so take it with a grain of salt. Probably best if you listened to it so you can hear when he puts stress on the words.

http://mscronksclass.weebly.com/1/post/2011/11/eminem-ic-pentameter.html

His PALMS are SWEATy, KNEES weak, ARMS are HEAVy
There's VOmit ON his SWEATer alREADy, mom's spaGHETTi
He's NERVous, but ON the SURFace he LOOKS calm and READy
To DROP BOMBS, but HE keeps ON forGETtin
What HE wrote DOWN, the WHOLE crowd GOES so LOUD
He OPens his MOUTH, BUT the WORDS won't come OUT
He's CHOKin, how EVeryBODy's JOKin NOW
The CLOCK'S run OUT, TIME'S up OVer, BLOah!

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
It's a dude rambling about nothing. It's the instruments and the mood that make the song. The lyrics? I picture mercury drugged up as fuck when he was penning

I see a little silhouetto of a man
Scaramouch, scaramouch - will you do the fandango
Thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening me
Gallileo, gallileo, gallileo, gallileo,
Gallileo figaro magnifico

You can't honestly think that is stellar lyrically? What the hell does a clown doing the fandango have to do with anything?

sure. listen to that live and then listen to any rap song live. let me know which is more entertaining or has the crowd more into it? waiting for you to show me up

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am pretty sure Lil Wayne can play a good bit of instruments and he is drugged out. Also, I bet a lot more rappers can play instruments then you think. Just because you don't like a certain genre of music doesn't mean its trash because its not your personal taste. You talk about Rock. What about Kiss? They play instruments and are the cheesiest main stream fuck heads that have ever been around. They have absolutely no substance. Same with Nickleback.

To say they aren't lyrical geniuses means that either you haven't listened to some good artist songs or you are just close minded about your music. Timberland and Pharrell are highly respected in the rock world. They create the beats you talk about. It is just comical to think that these guys should be looked down upon because they don't play instruments when that is not what they are going for. Its like berating a poet because he didn't write a novel. That's not what he is going for.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I am pretty sure Lil Wayne can play a good bit of instruments and he is drugged out. Also, I bet a lot more rappers can play instruments then you think. Just because you don't like a certain genre of music doesn't mean its trash because its not your personal taste. You talk about Rock. What about Kiss? They play instruments and are the cheesiest main stream fuck heads that have ever been around. They have absolutely no substance. Same with Nickleback.

To say they aren't lyrical geniuses means that either you haven't listened to some good artist songs or you are just close minded about your music. Timberland and Pharrell are highly respected in the rock world. They create the beats you talk about. It is just comical to think that these guys should be looked down upon because they don't play instruments when that is not what they are going for. Its like berating a poet because he didn't write a novel. That's not what he is going for.

Kiss gave us Nothin to Lose...which might be the best lyrical song...ever!

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
No one said a song needs to rhyme to be good. Prose is a less complex structure than a rhyme but that doesn't mean that it is better or worse. It just means it is technically more complex. Just like it is technically more complex to compose a sonnet than a regular rhyme because a sonnet requires you to follow more restrictive rules in its composition.

The point is Rap music and Rock music are fundamentally different so the poster who was trying to judge rap music based on things more relevant to rock and roll was off base. Put another way rap to me is words accompanied by music or a beat. Rock is music accompanied by words. The focus is different.

Not really though...they are both derived musically from the same historical perspective

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
have I mentioned that I hate the chili peppers? and eric clapton?

Now that is one rap group that sucks

I mean...really sucks.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
sure. listen to that live and then listen to any rap song live. let me know which is more entertaining or has the crowd more into it? waiting for you to show me up

[video=youtube;Tp_FbBtc5Ko]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tp_FbBtc5Ko[/video]

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Also, this may seem a little weird but this one of the best performances and its by a girl.

[video=youtube;O-0p8GuSvog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0p8GuSvog[/video]

SHe rocks the fuck out and the crowd is going nuts.