OT: Trestman's replacement fired already

arnoldo

Liked Posts:
Did anyone read the article? Ridiculous situation. Hire a new HC and instruct him to learn the old HC's system, so he can learn the "Canadian Game" and the Alouette Way. From the QB no less. The QB coaching the coach.

“We wanted the coaches to learn the language, instead of 12 people having to learn something new,” said Popp. “That didn’t take place.”

It's almost like choosing a project guard or 'tweener situational rusher in the first round.
cC.
Canadian football isn't the same as American football, he should be expected to at least learn the differences and to adapt.

When Marc Trestman came to the CFL he hired assistants with many years of CFL experience whereas Dan Hawkins hired a bunch of people who had never coached CFL.

Marc Trestman acknowledged he did not know everything about the CFL when he came to Montreal and was willing to learn, Dan Hawkins thought he already knew everything when in reality, he did not.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Lovie got fired after ten wins. Ten wins is supposed to put you into the playoffs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you remember the Packer fans saying that Trestman was only a place holder in in Montreal?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Did anyone point out that lovie got fired after 10 wins yet in this thread?
Cause he did.
thats what i remember anyway.
just sayin.

that lovie.
was fired.
after.
wins.
just in case nobody posted that yet.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hey guys, did Lovie Smith get fired after 10 wins?

malcore

cC.
Canadian football isn't the same as American football, he should be expected to at least learn the differences and to adapt.

When Marc Trestman came to the CFL he hired assistants with many years of CFL experience whereas Dan Hawkins hired a bunch of people who had never coached CFL.

Marc Trestman acknowledged he did not know everything about the CFL when he came to Montreal and was willing to learn, Dan Hawkins thought he already knew everything when in reality, he did not.

I am criticizing Popp for hiring under these circumstances. Popp wanted Hawkins to use Trestman's terminology and basically his system. Dumb to ask a new HC to do that and dumb for a new HC to agree to it, and then not follow through. If Popp wanted to teach him the CFL game by forcing him to use another coach's system, why didn't he force Hawkins to hire assistants who had CFL experience?

Look at the result.

Yes, Hawkins and Miller seemed arrogant and above the CFL. So different than Trestman, in almost every way. This was doomed from the start and I never understood why Hawkins was hired in the first place. I still say it was a ridiculous situation.

I am a lifelong Als fan btw, and am glad this fiasco is done, but will Popp pull another Don Matthews out of his ass? Or does Miller stay and learn for the future?

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I am criticizing Popp for hiring under these circumstances. Popp wanted Hawkins to use Trestman's terminology and basically his system. Dumb to ask a new HC to do that and dumb for a new HC to agree to it, and then not follow through. If Popp wanted to teach him the CFL game by forcing him to use another coach's system, why didn't he force Hawkins to hire assistants who had CFL experience?

Look at the result.

Yes, Hawkins and Miller seemed arrogant and above the CFL. So different than Trestman, in almost every way. This was doomed from the start and I never understood why Hawkins was hired in the first place. I still say it was a ridiculous situation.

I am a lifelong Als fan btw, and am glad this fiasco is done, but will Popp pull another Don Matthews out of his ass? Or does Miller stay and learn for the future?

If the guy in charge of hiring the coach was looking for someone with CFL experience, he should have hired them. and then had the new guy as AHC.
the whole situation sounds like a bunch of backwards ass, monkey-fucking-a-football type comedy.

malcore

If the guy in charge of hiring the coach was looking for someone with CFL experience, he should have hired them. and then had the new guy as AHC.
the whole situation sounds like a bunch of backwards ass, monkey-fucking-a-football type comedy.

Popp likes to think outside the box (I really hate that term). I like that he does. Trestman likely wouldn't have been there and now here otherwise. I just think Hawkins' style was far too different from Trestman's that the team hadn't fully bought in (I'm starting to hate this term also), and were getting frustrated.

Edit- I have to admit though, I had my reservations when he hired Trestman.

Last edited:

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Popp likes to think outside the box (I really hate that term). I like that he does. Trestman likely wouldn't have been there and now here otherwise. I just think Hawkins' style was far too different from Trestman's that the team hadn't fully bought in (I'm starting to hate this term also), and were getting frustrated.

Edit- I have to admit though, I had my reservations when he hired Trestman.

Seriously though- What kind of clown hires a guy to run his team and then decides not to let the guy run the team?

When I read the following quote, I decided that the players up there are little whiny bitches if the disconnect is this.....
“I don’t think Dan lost the locker-room, but I think it was teetering. We’re trying to get things back on the path of how we practice, how we do things in our locker-room.”

He gave one example. The Alouettes had always spent 10 minutes before practice stretching, but that was cut to seven minutes, which upset some players.

“These things fester,” said Popp. “And if things aren’t going as well as you’d like, then they become a much bigger problem than they really are.”

What kind of dripping pussies would actually vocalize a complaint like that?!?!?
Here is an idea- call your wife, have her bring you your testicles, and warm up and stretch for 3 minutes before getting out on the field!

Waaah... the new coach is making us do things his way!
Waaaah.... we shouldnt have to use new terminology... he should do what we say.
Waaaaaaaahhhhh..... he took 3 minutes of our stretching time away!

It really sounds like the players are whining bitches that were looking for any excuse to get the new guy out and get their own way.

Chicago Da Team

Elite Member!
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie got fired after years of the same ol bullshit offense. Years of sticking with what didn't work. I'm glad he's gone!

malcore

Seriously though- What kind of clown hires a guy to run his team and then decides not to let the guy run the team?

When I read the following quote, I decided that the players up there are little whiny bitches if the disconnect is this.....
“I don’t think Dan lost the locker-room, but I think it was teetering. We’re trying to get things back on the path of how we practice, how we do things in our locker-room.”

He gave one example. The Alouettes had always spent 10 minutes before practice stretching, but that was cut to seven minutes, which upset some players.

“These things fester,” said Popp. “And if things aren’t going as well as you’d like, then they become a much bigger problem than they really are.”

What kind of dripping pussies would actually vocalize a complaint like that?!?!?
Here is an idea- call your wife, have her bring you your testicles, and warm up and stretch for 3 minutes before getting out on the field!

It really sounds like the players are whining bitches that were looking for any excuse to get the new guy out and get their own way.

It's just one article. The situation was bit more dynamic than that. Still ridiculous.

I'm sure there are some whiny bitches on every professional sports team

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

That's the type of things you hear in these situation... When teams lose coaches because things were going good they wouldn't want lots of change.

That's why some Raiders players don't like Trestman and Callaghan after Gruden was traded, they bitch things that were working got altered. (plus they blame two previous playoff losses on bullshit calls anyway)

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Montreal_Fan

Liked Posts:
Hey Guys,

First time in this forum. I'm from Montreal and I've been living in Chicago for 2 years now. Just my 2 cents here on the firing on Hawkins. Trestman had a unique relationship with the Montreal QB. Montreal's QB is now 41 years old, but he's still considered the best in the CFL, and one the best of all-time (just for comparison sake, imagine a Tom Brady playing in the last 2 seasons of his career without Belichick and the Patriots have to find a new HC). The lost of Trestman was really hard on the entire Montreal organization (and journalists who loved him), but none harder than on the QB. So when the GM started a search for a new HC, the final 3 HC had to had an interview with the QB (because the organisation wanted to make sure he was on board with the hiring). The problem was that Hawkins promised to run a very similar offense (which has been a top 3 for the past 5 years). But since the beginning of the year, the Montreal offense ran the same play over and over again (the little screen pass), that was quickly picked up by other teams defense after the first game, and you could clearly see that Hawkins didn't do his homework during the off season. The problem of the Montreal team since the beginning of the year is clearly the offense which is horrendous!! And of course, the frustration gained the team and the QB. The win in Hawkins last game was at home against the worst team of the league (1W 6L since the beginning of the year, and last place last year). But in order to win against them, they had to stop them on the goal line on the last play of the game!! I know, a win is a win, but the Montreal team is supposed to aim at the championship, not just make the playoff or barley win against the worst team.

Anyway, the decision of the firing came mostly from the owner. But it is suspected that the Montreal QB was really unhappy and since he's the leader of the team, a lot of the other players followed his lead. I know I know, players should play and shut up, but that QB is really respected in the league, by the organization and in the city in general. Some Montreal fans wonder if he is done as an elite QB, which is probably true (hey, he is 41 after all!). But still, the team is better than what they have shown since the beginning of the year, and hence the firing of Hawkins.

I'll follow the Bears very closely this year! I'm intrigued to see if Trestman success as a HC in the CFL will translate into the NFL. A lot of comparison have been made between him and Marv Levy who also coached the Montreal team in the CFL. Personally, I have little doubt in my mind that he will succeed. He is smart, very receptive, completely devoted, and very knowledgeable. The only detail is that he has to replace a very charismatic person, someone that the players really liked. Trestman will need the earn the trust of the leaders in order to have success.

Anyway, good season to you all! Hope the bears will give us a lot of pride and joy!

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hey Guys,

First time in this forum. I'm from Montreal and I've been living in Chicago for 2 years now. Just my 2 cents here on the firing on Hawkins. Trestman had a unique relationship with the Montreal QB. Montreal's QB is now 41 years old, but he's still considered the best in the CFL, and one the best of all-time (just for comparison sake, imagine a Tom Brady playing in the last 2 seasons of his career without Belichick and the Patriots have to find a new HC). The lost of Trestman was really hard on the entire Montreal organization (and journalists who loved him), but none harder than on the QB. So when the GM started a search for a new HC, the final 3 HC had to had an interview with the QB (because the organisation wanted to make sure he was on board with the hiring). The problem was that Hawkins promised to run a very similar offense (which has been a top 3 for the past 5 years). But since the beginning of the year, the Montreal offense ran the same play over and over again (the little screen pass), that was quickly picked up by other teams defense after the first game, and you could clearly see that Hawkins didn't do his homework during the off season. The problem of the Montreal team since the beginning of the year is clearly the offense which is horrendous!! And of course, the frustration gained the team and the QB. The win in Hawkins last game was at home against the worst team of the league (1W 6L since the beginning of the year, and last place last year). But in order to win against them, they had to stop them on the goal line on the last play of the game!! I know, a win is a win, but the Montreal team is supposed to aim at the championship, not just make the playoff or barley win against the worst team.

Anyway, the decision of the firing came mostly from the owner. But it is suspected that the Montreal QB was really unhappy and since he's the leader of the team, a lot of the other players followed his lead. I know I know, players should play and shut up, but that QB is really respected in the league, by the organization and in the city in general. Some Montreal fans wonder if he is done as an elite QB, which is probably true (hey, he is 41 after all!). But still, the team is better than what they have shown since the beginning of the year, and hence the firing of Hawkins.

I'll follow the Bears very closely this year! I'm intrigued to see if Trestman success as a HC in the CFL will translate into the NFL. A lot of comparison have been made between him and Marv Levy who also coached the Montreal team in the CFL. Personally, I have little doubt in my mind that he will succeed. He is smart, very receptive, completely devoted, and very knowledgeable. The only detail is that he has to replace a very charismatic person, someone that the players really liked. Trestman will need the earn the trust of the leaders in order to have success.

Anyway, good season to you all! Hope the bears will give us a lot of pride and joy!

Post more often will ya?

Mitchapalooza

Hey Guys,

How was Trestman in games when he had to adapt, if something wasn't working? (offensively). The last few years, we've had stubborn play calling on offense which drove me nuts.