Brandon Marshall: Alshon Jeffery was 'softer' last year

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It was late in Tuesday's practice when Alshon Jeffery made a play that opened eyes at Chicago Bears training camp.

The second-year player snagged a Jay Cutler bullet in the back of the end zone, leaping high in the air to pull down a pass that looked, for all intents and purposes, like a throw-away.

"That play in the end zone really speaks for his offseason," wide receiver Brandon Marshall said, via the Chicago Tribune. "It was a really explosive offseason."

"He was softer last year, much softer," Marshall said. "Now he's strong. He's a beast."

The "softer" comment is of special interest here. Jeffery showed flashes of special big-play ability as a rookie, but he also missed time with injuries and disappeared for stretches. He would get beat on routes, outmuscled to a spot by more physical defenders.

After an offseason of work at Marshall's training facility in Weston, Fla., Jeffery is in better physical condition. Marshall said his teammate has lowered his body fat to 8 percent.

"He's like a sponge," Marshall said. "I say, 'Hey bro, this is how you take care of your body.' So he's eating right. Got a chef. Seeing a chiropractor. Getting massages. Studying film. Working out hard. I can't say enough about what he put in."

With an offense-centric new coach, a year of pro experience and peak physical condition on his side, Jeffery could be ready for big things. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Hopefully he"s right about Allglass. Then we can dump his wife beating ass before his hip falls off.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Gee, I thought that Alshon got worse as 2012 ended, there was no possible way he could get better.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But remember Alshon actually has a chance to be good.

No doubt. I think that notwithstanding injuries, Alshon is going to totally tear it up, and for many years to come. Devin Hester never wanted to play receiver, the Bears did that to him.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Marshall talked up spaeth last year. That's what he does. Marshall 2.0. More power to him. Could be worse. He could be spiking balls and walking off the field.

That said, more power to Hester too...as a pure returner. They couldn't pay him as a returner so they made him a receiver and to be honest, he wasn't worse as a receiver than anything we had from 2007-9*

* I was a Brandon Lloyd fan even while the media convinced us he couldn't play again in 2008 because of injury or laziness #drake. He and Orton actually made some plays and had some chemistry a la Cutler-Marshal

Last edited:

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure the big difference between Hester, Spaeth and Jeffery is the fact that Jeffery has had an entire offseason to train with one of the best WR's in the NFL. So while Marshall does talk up his teammates, he should know better than anyone how Alshon will perform and not just sing praises to be nice. And if there's one thing in this season I'll drink Kool-Aid to it's Jeffery's future break-out season.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Are you pretty sure about that?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure the big difference between Hester, Spaeth and Jeffery is the fact that Jeffery has had an entire offseason to train with one of the best WR's in the NFL. So while Marshall does talk up his teammates, he should know better than anyone how Alshon will perform and not just sing praises to be nice. And if there's one thing in this season I'll drink Kool-Aid to it's Jeffery's future break-out season.

If Marshall is that good of a coach that the difference between Jeffrey and Spaeth is a few weeks with him......fuck trestman just make that man head coach now.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want to add that Jeffrey had one of the greatest seasons in SEC history at WR with an avg QB and minimal other recieving threats. He also led the cavalry in a win over Alabama, something not too many have done recently and against a pro secondary talent level.

to compare spaeth or hester to jeffrey in ters of wr talent...is unfair. Hester got pretty damn good for a db.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;GTegYX4Gro4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTegYX4Gro4[/video]

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;Iz4X77xosmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4X77xosmg[/video]