James Brown OG is 337lbs!!! whaaaaat?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was suffering my usual insomnia, watching videos on the bears site, hearing MB say he is solar powered or some permahigh hudda, when James Brown dropped this gem "I was 305 coming into the league, but it was way too light." reporter...what are you now "337"

Whaaaaaat?

http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...to_guard/fd195753-2778-4a72-a48b-5beb855a6008

This guy is very athletic, and with his history as a high school power lifting champion I am very sure he didn't just eat his way there. He obviously wants this, and when real bodies start moving come August 9 (one week hoot hoot!!) he is going to be able to throw that weight around.

Webb better be careful. If Long keeps showing his man strength and raw athleticism, it will be hard to hold him back assuming he is smart enough to honor his assignments faithfully.

But Brown might be demanding a spot with his work and improvement by the sound of this. Thats too big a man to keep on the sidelines. They seem high on Slauson,

so either

1) kick Slaus inside Bushrod-Brown-Slauson-Long-Webb and go big boys, or just kick Slauson out
or
2) Bushrod-Slauson-Garza-Brown-Long or even Garza-Long-Brown as Brown has both NFL and College tackle experience.

We has depth?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Brown in 337 lbs!? Wow! I didn't know he was capable of that. And he's playing well. Ya, I could see Brown winning a G spot. If Long is good enough for the other, looks like Slauson will take a seat. Would like to see Garza replaced too, but I don't know the Slauson would play better C than Garza. I just hope the coaches find a way to put the best 5 out there.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
Damn ... he got big. I always liked him, I hope he makes it somewhere on the starting OL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't wait for the 1st preseason game to see where these guys are at. While Slauson may be able to move to C, he's a little tall for it. He does have decent leverage so might be able to pull it off but he has almost no experience at it.

While I get the OPs concept, I don't think this staff will be in a hurry to move Long outside. They value big strong Gs more than most and perhaps as much as RT. What I find interesting is how willing the OP is to kick Webb to the curb for Slauson. Ever think how Webb might do at LG if we did put Long at RT? He's bigger, stronger and has better feet than Slauson. Imagine Slauson at T for perspective. We haven't even seen Brown play vg ball yet and he's displacing established starters. I have high hopes for him as well but lets see them in action 1st. The kid is strong.

What I like is that we don't only appear to finally have a starting Oline, we may finally have starter talent pushing them. Does everyone realize that once EW gets let go that every O lineman on the roster except for Garza and Webb will be an Emery acquisition. That's called addressing a need.=)

Liked Posts:
Good. I hope the kid wins the starting LG position with Long at RG. Slauson, I don't know, his experience at Center was only for a couple of snaps in 2009 while Mangold was shaken up vs Tampa Bay, & for about a dozen plays during Jets training camp in 2011. Even Tice gave Garza an entire offseason to learn how snap the ball cleanly & handle the interior pass rush. I sure as hell wouldn't mind a new Center though, but damn it can be an utter disaster when a team has one with no real experience at the position & has no repertoire with the QB. If they're going to do it, they'd better start very soon.

I hope Brown can win this, from everything I've read, Brown-Good, Slauson-Garbage at LG.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the line stays as is for this season. Next year will be interesting with Webb, Slauson and Garza coming off deals.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brown in 337 lbs!? Wow! I didn't know he was capable of that. And he's playing well. Ya, I could see Brown winning a G spot. If Long is good enough for the other, looks like Slauson will take a seat. Would like to see Garza replaced too, but I don't know the Slauson would play better C than Garza. I just hope the coaches find a way to put the best 5 out there.

I've won a few G spots in my time.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Good. I hope the kid wins the starting LG position with Long at RG. Slauson, I don't know, his experience at Center was only for a couple of snaps in 2009 while Mangold was shaken up vs Tampa Bay, & for about a dozen plays during Jets training camp in 2011. Even Tice gave Garza an entire offseason to learn how snap the ball cleanly & handle the interior pass rush. I sure as hell wouldn't mind a new Center though, but damn it can be an utter disaster when a team has one with no real experience at the position & has no repertoire with the QB. If they're going to do it, they'd better start very soon.

I hope Brown can win this, from everything I've read, Brown-Good, Slauson-Garbage at LG.

People ignore though that Garza played center at college. Some say he also had some snaps at Atlanta at center.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Listed at 306 in the Bears Program FWIW :shrug:

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
The "Godfather of Soul" has worked his way into a starting guard position. When he played last year you could tell that the heart was there but he was getting blown off the line....just too light. He should be a BEAST this year......

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not trying to kick Webb to the curb, I do like his size also.

But does Webb want this enough? Is Webb as strong as anyone else on the line? Yes he is big, but I don't think he is stronger than Slauson in his upper body, and maybe not his lower body. He is naturally stronger, but is he working at it?

What I love about James Brown here is he came out competing, and he wasn't noticibly heavier. Nobody reported this, he had to tell us. He doesn't even look it, he added a little everywhere.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
I'm not trying to kick Webb to the curb, I do like his size also.

But does Webb want this enough? Is Webb as strong as anyone else on the line? Yes he is big, but I don't think he is stronger than Slauson in his upper body, and maybe not his lower body. He is naturally stronger, but is he working at it?

What I love about James Brown here is he came out competing, and he wasn't noticibly heavier. Nobody reported this, he had to tell us. He doesn't even look it, he added a little everywhere.

It's in his "head"....(Though one could say "heart" in that he lacks passion for the game.....)....King Taco does not have the aggression to be an elite Offensive Linesman. Notice how he barely finishes his blocks?! Kyle....on the other hand....has shown a propensity for finishing his blocks with his guy lying face down in the mud..... Can somebody find us a RT that is a Beastly Roadgrading take no prisoners muthah fuckah...?! Is that too much to ask for..?!

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It's in his "head"....(Though one could say "heart" in that he lacks passion for the game.....)....King Taco does not have the aggression to be an elite Offensive Linesman. Notice how he barely finishes his blocks?! Kyle....on the other hand....has shown a propensity for finishing his blocks with his guy lying face down in the mud..... Can somebody find us a RT that is a Beastly Roadgrading take no prisoners muthah fuckah...?! Is that too much to ask for..?!

That's what they had at RT last year.. Is that what you ask for?

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Kyle Long was splitting reps at LT in Oregon before the LG went down with injury, and he is 6'6".....why can't he be that guy?

To Webb's defenders, I ask only if Long can compete on every down and avoid the "statue of ugly" plays where a Shea or Lights out run around him. Can he avoid the false starts because that shit will get him canned like the second time it happens in one game with Trestman.

Long might be too raw and the best place for first half of season is the bench. We can shuffle when we need to.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Fucking A on Tapatalk
They had that mentality with a player that was either horribly slow footed or playing injured ( that is TBD). KL is neither slow footed or injured. Having a bad roadgrading RT does not mean all rodgrading RT's are bad. ( See picture at left below)

Last edited:

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Who was that....?! Gabe Carimi...?!

I'd like a RT more like Anthony Davis. (We did make a run at Loadholt which is a step in the right direction....)

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I can't wait for the 1st preseason game to see where these guys are at. While Slauson may be able to move to C, he's a little tall for it. He does have decent leverage so might be able to pull it off but he has almost no experience at it.

While I get the OPs concept, I don't think this staff will be in a hurry to move Long outside. They value big strong Gs more than most and perhaps as much as RT. What I find interesting is how willing the OP is to kick Webb to the curb for Slauson. Ever think how Webb might do at LG if we did put Long at RT? He's bigger, stronger and has better feet than Slauson. Imagine Slauson at T for perspective. We haven't even seen Brown play vg ball yet and he's displacing established starters. I have high hopes for him as well but lets see them in action 1st. The kid is strong.

What I like is that we don't only appear to finally have a starting Oline, we may finally have starter talent pushing them. Does everyone realize that once EW gets let go that every O lineman on the roster except for Garza and Webb will be an Emery acquisition. That's called addressing a need.=)
Webb is no more a guard than Slauson is a T. That switch comparison makes no sense. Webb doesn't play to his size and is not aggressive enough to play G. He would be eaten alive by Suh and the like.