Eric Weems - will he get traded?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bennett I would imagine

He hasn't returned regularly since 2009. Hell, he even looks pissed at the prospect of returning:
i

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Maybe the Bears consider him valuable to their special teams unit?

I think everyone would assume that, but it's been reported Weems hasn't taken one rep at returning kicks. He has flashed some nice catches as a WR though. Still it doesn't sound good for him honestly, especially when a lot of other taller WR's have been stepping up this camp.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
not sure we could get much for Weems, but we might call the 49ers, Ravens, and Patriots to start. Teams with lots of draft picks traditionally and poor WR groups.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Aromoshadu, Anderson, Wilson

When I look at this there's simply no room for Weems. Anderson and Wilson have tons of potential and Cutler seems to have a good relationship with Aromashadu.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
No way we can keep another special teams only player. Hester is that guy, Weems is gone very soon.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
weems has no value at best. id say a 7th but that's a big stretch

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
There is a few spots here where a player can be dropped like FB, TE, etc. I don't even have Hayden listed and that makes 54. Injuries of course will tweak the roster.

WR - Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Aromoshadu, Anderson, Wilson
S - Wright, Conte, Steltz, Hardin, Walters

Players showing their full potential, and winning positions, hasn't shaken out yet. So not a lot of point in knit picking on bubble players. But right off the bat, why the hell would the Bears cut ST Ace Weems to keep a Walters (5th Safety)? And the Vikes let Aroma walk... you maybe over valuing him.

At this point, I don't see us cutting (or attempting trade) Weems. Weems makes 3 ST game impacting plays every game. Trest decidedly to let Hester go all Returner, which tells me he values STs. Plus, M. Ford may not make the team, Weems is a very competent Returner backup to Hester. I think they're checking the Returner wheels on Bennett, but not sure where that will go. Plus, if needed, Weems is an excellent blocking WR, who runs a good route and has good hands.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Players showing their full potential, and winning positions, hasn't shaken out yet. So not a lot of point in knit picking on bubble players. But right off the bat, why the hell would the Bears cut ST Ace Weems to keep a Walters (5th Safety)? And the Vikes let Aroma walk... you maybe over valuing him.

At this point, I don't see us cutting (or attempting trade) Weems. Weems makes 3 ST game impacting plays every game. Trest decidedly to let Hester go all Returner, which tells me he values STs. Plus, M. Ford may not make the team, Weems is a very competent Returner backup to Hester. I think they're checking the Returner wheels on Bennett, but not sure where that will go. Plus, if needed, Weems is an excellent blocking WR, who runs a good route and has good hands.

Hester takes up a roster space as a receiver so if we keep the other 6 I mentioned, no way would the Bears keep 8 at the position. Weems is an excellent special teams players but it is a numbers game and we will have to see how things shake out in the preseason. As of now, he is on the outside looking in.

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't remember one time last year thinking, " Good thing we got him!"

I also don't matter and have a shitty memory.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
From the sounds of it, he has been getting very few reps at the WR position. Do you think he will get traded soon? Some team will consider him valuable to their special teams unit.

What is the salary hit to a team that trades for him, and how many teams would find that a value, given he would be behind in their program?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Well looks like Conte just took him out.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Hester takes up a roster space as a receiver so if we keep the other 6 I mentioned, no way would the Bears keep 8 at the position. Weems is an excellent special teams players but it is a numbers game and we will have to see how things shake out in the preseason. As of now, he is on the outside looking in.

Just to clarify, the Bears are officially listing Hester's position as KR/PR, not WR (see Bears site). And also, I wrote I think the Bears will keep 6 WRs and Hester, not 7. (Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Anderson, Wilson, Weems)

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Originally Posted by bears26
Well looks like Conte just took him out.

Nah. Unlike Allglass, Weems can shake shit off.

"Takes a lickin' n' keeps on tickin'" ......The little guy is big guy tough..... "dick move" by Conte.....you don't cripple your own guys....(unless your name is Steltz)

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm all for taking pride in ST and making sure they have the personnel to be a contributing unit and not a liability.

But at the same time, journeyman ST'ers that have absolutely zero chance to contribute in other phases have to be limited. Imo, its way more preferable to stock ST with young guys that are developing into contributors on other phases. I'm sick and tired of having 5-10 roster spots taken up by pure ST vets with no developmental upside.

Imo, ST should be part of the developmental pipeline that good teams use to remain perennial contenders.

And really, the other 2 phases need to be competent enough that the bears aren't freakin depending on ST's to freakin win games.

Last edited: