My notes from the Family Fest practice...

running bear828

Liked Posts:
Good assessment although I don't agree with you on J. Lentz. I think he makes the practice squad. Lentz is super fast. Not a bad idea on M. Wilson being on injured squad so no one can poach him. Wilson is also doing as well now as AJ did last year. Granted AJ didn't have Trestman last year and Wilson does. That is a huge plus for Wilson since Testman works so hard with the QB's and WR's where as Lovie would just stare with that blank look on his face. But I really think he (Wilson) is where AJ was last year. Lentz might also make a good ST player who they could use as a speedster to run up the sidelines occasionally.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why would you want to IR a player you are trying to develop. That stops them from practicing with the team as far as I know.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
But is the IR an actual hiding place for the new regime? We all know that it was an additional 2 or 3 spots for Lovie to hide players.

With Tressman seeming to be more open and honest than Lovie, he may not think it is ethical to lie about the seriousness of injuries to hide players.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would you want to IR a player you are trying to develop. That stops them from practicing with the team as far as I know.

Yeah, Hardin couldn't practice last season because he was on the IR. It may help a young player being in meetings, but they aren't getting any reps in practice and that sets them back a ton.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Cutler was inaccurate throwing to receivers on post corner routes... but hit them in the gut anywhere from 5- 40 yards on other routes...

Marshall is the smartest player on the offense... he knows when he is open... his timing is unmatched...

Forte worked harder than any player on the field it seemed... he took every snap at full speed... some others really didn't turn it up for practice like he did...

Our TE's I couldn't tell if it was Onobun or Pope... 1 of them is gigantic and was making plays down field all night... literally 20-30 yards every catch... really did a good job of getting open and catching with there hands...

Martellus made every catch... he runs a great 10-8 yard curl... he knows exactly when to turn around to get that separation from linebackers... him and jay really seem to be on the same page...

linebackers and D line are really hard to judge... I know everyone is trying... but the way it looked to me... a lot of players took plays off... looked like a really lazy practice for the D line and linebackers... probably because of the injuries...

Bostic... he is more of a positional player than a general on the defense at this point... which is to be expected... he knew where the plays were going but it seems he is forced to play his position and betray his instincts... I saw him taking his first step in the right direction but then changing direction and playing his position instead of going and making the play... I believe he did this to show he knew and understood the position and understood his role in the defense... even though he could have just went and made the play and got to the ball... I like that he knows his position... but he shouldn't be forced not to trust his instincts...

The Left tackle really didn't look great... whoever it was gave up quite a bit of pressure... jay would have been sacked 3 times in 11 on 11 drills... and was forced to step up and make some throws in a really tight pocket...

Those are my observations... I really couldn't get a great read on the rest of the defense... my opinion on the other players would be a guess at best...

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I really expect the offense to click, but not really on a consistent basis until after the bye week. We will see spurts of it before then. I just hope fans don't get overexcited like they did last year after the Indy game thinking the offense was going to be real good . etcc. Then we all know what happened after. haha
I'm really liking what I'm seeing from the offense so far, but you may be right. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears had a 3-3 record or something to start. The great thing about your bye week point, is that the Bears get two weeks to prepare for the Pack coming out of that bye week. I expect to see some nuclear type of explosions from Trestman in this game!!!!

Can you imagine??? Half way through, coming off a bye week, playing the fuckin Packers on Monday night, in Green Bay!!!!! This could be the game where we finally kick some Packer ASS in a big way for the first time in a while, imo. I'm gonna be drinking a few fine beverages and eating some good food that night. :bearbang:
:popcorn:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Also great notes playthrough, thanks.

Btw is Kyle Long still #2 at RG? I'd guess he's the backup on the depth chart next week and James Brown will start the 1st preseason game.

Kyle was running with the 2s to start. He did get some reps with the ones as well.

GSH1919

Liked Posts:
Cutler was inaccurate throwing to receivers on post corner routes... but hit them in the gut anywhere from 5- 40 yards on other routes...

Marshall is the smartest player on the offense... he knows when he is open... his timing is unmatched...

Forte worked harder than any player on the field it seemed... he took every snap at full speed... some others really didn't turn it up for practice like he did...

Our TE's I couldn't tell if it was Onobun or Pope... 1 of them is gigantic and was making plays down field all night... literally 20-30 yards every catch... really did a good job of getting open and catching with there hands...

Martellus made every catch... he runs a great 10-8 yard curl... he knows exactly when to turn around to get that separation from linebackers... him and jay really seem to be on the same page...

linebackers and D line are really hard to judge... I know everyone is trying... but the way it looked to me... a lot of players took plays off... looked like a really lazy practice for the D line and linebackers... probably because of the injuries...

Bostic... he is more of a positional player than a general on the defense at this point... which is to be expected... he knew where the plays were going but it seems he is forced to play his position and betray his instincts... I saw him taking his first step in the right direction but then changing direction and playing his position instead of going and making the play... I believe he did this to show he knew and understood the position and understood his role in the defense... even though he could have just went and made the play and got to the ball... I like that he knows his position... but he shouldn't be forced not to trust his instincts...

The Left tackle really didn't look great... whoever it was gave up quite a bit of pressure... jay would have been sacked 3 times in 11 on 11 drills... and was forced to step up and make some throws in a really tight pocket...

Those are my observations... I really couldn't get a great read on the rest of the defense... my opinion on the other players would be a guess at best...

Re: Bennett I was lukewarm on the signing as he wasn't a great player with the Cowboys and despite the praise for breaking through last season the Giants seem to take any TE off the street and make him productive in their system.

However he's been a pleasant surprise so far and I think he fits this offense well. I think he'll be an effective weapon in a dink and dunk passing attack and he's always been a good blocker. I'm excited to see what he does this year and having a capable TE will definitely open the field up. Then again this is all predicated on the Bears actually getting competent O-line play which is no given so we'll see.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Good assessment although I don't agree with you on J. Lentz. I think he makes the practice squad. Lentz is super fast. Not a bad idea on M. Wilson being on injured squad so no one can poach him. Wilson is also doing as well now as AJ did last year. Granted AJ didn't have Trestman last year and Wilson does. That is a huge plus for Wilson since Testman works so hard with the QB's and WR's where as Lovie would just stare with that blank look on his face. But I really think he (Wilson) is where AJ was last year. Lentz might also make a good ST player who they could use as a speedster to run up the sidelines occasionally.

I think it is just a numbers thing in regard to Lenz. Based on how they were running out receivers last night he looks to be last on the depth chart. Here is how the the guys seem to stack up. Again, this is just an observation so I could be wrong.

1. Marshall
2. Jeffery
3. Bennett
4. Anderson
5. Weems
6. Aromashodu- he could easily be passed by one of the younger guys
7. Wilson/Toliver- the reps they received seemed fairly proportionate...
8. Rucker/Jackson- again similar reps
9. Golden
10. Lenz

Rucker is 6'4" and seems to be ahead of Josh at this point. Rucker looks like possible practice squad material. Lenz will have to be incredibly sharp when he gets his chance. This regime favors bigger guys. That's not going to help Lenz either.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Originally Posted by playthrough2001
He's nowhere near what Alshon was last year. Not even close...

Agreed, Alshon didn't get pushed around last year even as a rookie, as long as he's stays healthy he should be more than physical enough for the NFL, he often made corners in college look like little children.

Yes...he is no where near as strong or finished as Alshon was last year......but Alshon was not as strong or as finished as he needed to be to get the job done. That is why he aggressively got stronger this off season so he wouldn't get jammed at the line or manhandled by DBs.... You remember that game where the DBs picked on the rook and he retaliated with a push off...costly penalty after costly penalty....?! He had to get stronger. Wilson is no where near the physical level Alshon was last season....he has a lot of work in the weight room to do.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Yes...he is no where near as strong or finished as Alshon was last year......but Alshon was not as strong or as finished as he needed to be to get the job done. That is why he aggressively got stronger this off season so he wouldn't get jammed at the line or manhandled by DBs.... You remember that game where the DBs picked on the rook and he retaliated with a push off...costly penalty after costly penalty....?! He had to get stronger. Wilson is no where near the physical level Alshon was last season....he has a lot of work in the weight room to do.

Agreed...

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Clap.gif

Thank you, good sir. You've done more actual reporting on players making plays than the media has done on twitter the past 3 days.

You're reading the wrong website then.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yep. When I read about his potential and intangibles I was like great, " Nice flyer on a 7th rounder ".....then I saw his weight as 194 and so tall. I know he's gonna have a tough time getting off the line in the NFL. He needs to put on 20 lbs of push-off muscle and revisit the starting lineup for us. I don't think he'd make it to our practice squad the kid is only 20 and still growin !
He's got and is showing great potnetial

Nick80

Gotta say, this guy (BearsFan51) reminds me of Buddyryans46 ... Drivel - but on a monumental scale.

As for the OP - thanks for taking the time and the effort as has already been mentioned but I echo the sentiment. Cheers!