Phil Emery "The GM of the Future" Article from Grantland

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9531195/bill-barnwell-phil-emery-general-manager-philosophy

Bill Barnwell of Grantland covers 4 contributing factors that make Phil Emery a prototype for GMs going forward:

1). Treating fans like they might actually have an idea of what they're talking about.
2). A hyper-focus on process.
3). Having no fear of the unknown.
4). An inclusive, occasionally nontraditional decision-making process.

The author talks about the transparency Emery has employed in press conferences and how it has allowed him to navigate controversial offseason moves like firing a winning coach and letting the face of the franchise move on.

Personally, I think Barnwell does a bang up job summarizing why I've been a fan of Emery so far, and his insight is detailed on the level of someone who could be covering the team locally. Obviously we'll see how draft picks pan out for Emery, but I like what our GM is doing. Unlike Angelo, he has a clear plan, shows no fear and seems unmoved by popular opinion.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Was it this article ?

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/37494-Phil-Emery-is-the-GM-of-the-Future

This seems to be resurfacing every couple of days like a wild fire whose ashes are stewing waiting to ignite.

I don't mind seein it again, but I thought you might like to visit the discussion in the previous thread.

Emery definitely is more transparent than Angelo. The story about him coming up to fans in training camp is also great to hear. I've been happy with his approach to problem areas. He likes to flood them with possibilities.
WR area ... grabs Marshall for 2-3rds and gets the high pointing Jeffery.....still working on the corps with Marquess Wilson and lots of free agents, like Tolliver Anderson Rucker Brittain et al.........then makes Hester a KR only... wow, what a difference that is from the previous regime ! Remember when Cutler said " Devin is not a go-getter kinda receiver ? " You know, the kind that will high point the ball and grab it ala BM and AJ in spite od 2-DBs all over him ?? I think Emery must have heard that sound bite because he's been grabbing leapers over 6'3" ever since he came on board.
Now he's working on the LBs and OLine. I expect Phil to keep flooding these positions until they stand strong, proud, and an overwhelming high point of our team when compared to others. Its his "process" .
Then if you add in the Trestman hire, Emery has done an outstanding job giving the BEARS the chance to be a consistently great team. If his Walsh roots and his undeniable ingenuity and ability to work with others aren't enough to make one giddy about this upcoming season.... then his passion and articulation and explanations do the trick for me.
I'm impressed with what's been happening so far since Phil got here and am looking forward to the synergistic effects a topnotch coach like Trestman will have on the Monsters of the Midway... maybe those rifling ropes and airliners outta Midway will be a metaphor for our awesome new offense..........Wouldnt that be something !!!!!
GO BEARS

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My bad. Didn't see the other thread. Reading through the comments now.