White Sox Bet On Avisail Garcia’s Tools

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/white-sox-bet-on-avisail-garcias-tools/

White Sox Bet On Avisail Garcia’s Tools

August 19, 2013 by Mark Gonzales

CHICAGO—It took a third team and the trading of marquee pitcher Jake Peavy, but the White Sox finally landed a potential future all-star who could stabilize their lineup for many years.

In acquiring outfielder Avisail Garcia from the Tigers in a six-player trade less than 24 hours before the July 31 trade deadline, the White Sox possess a five-tool player who could help offset the eventual losses of Paul Konerko, Alex Rios and Adam Dunn while giving them a centerpiece in their rebuilding efforts.

“We’re very excited about his upside,” general manager Rick Hahn said of the trade that also sent righthanders Francellis Montas and Jeffery Wendelken and infielder Cleuluis Rondon from the Red Sox to the White Sox. “We feel this is someone who not only is going to hit for average, but for power, run well and play above-average defense. He’s still young (22) and still has a little bit of development ahead of him.

“But we feel we’ve acquired someone with a great deal of upside who is going to have a big impact on the South Side for many years to come.”

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Garcia reported to Triple-A Charlotte to polish his skills and play center field.

“We want to get him in our system,” Hah said, “see him in center field, have him work with our player development staff for a little while, get regular at-bats for a little while and then slowly integrate him into what we foresee to be an everyday role for a long time here in Chicago.”

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
He has been getting hits, which is good, but he wasn't been drawing walks. Only 2 walks in 40 PA? Most of his OBP is coming from his hits.

Its still early, and a small sample size, but the dude has to learn to take walks.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He has been getting hits, which is good, but he wasn't been drawing walks. Only 2 walks in 40 PA? Most of his OBP is coming from his hits.

Its still early, and a small sample size, but the dude has to learn to take walks.

Agreed, but I'll give him a few years to get to that. If he walks now every PA's that's about 30 BB a year. Get it up to 50-60 and he'll be fine. I think as he matures as a hitter he'll get those without improving his batting eye by just being a respected hitter. Might get it up to 70 with improvement but again, too young to judge.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
He hasn't taken a lot of walks but he has worked counts when I've seen him. I like his speed and ability also. He's a double waiting to happen.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I dont care how he gets on. Get on base by whatever it takes.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one thing that sometimes gets overlooked, is players enthusiasm.

Kid loves to play the game & I love guys like that.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
He had 3 more hits last night. I think the older he gets and the more familiar he gets with these pitchers, he will walk and take more pitches.

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Garcia with a nice infield hit. Runs really well down the line to beat out the throw. Extending hit streak to 8 games and hit safely in 10 of 11 games.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garcia with a nice infield hit. Runs really well down the line to beat out the throw. Extending hit streak to 8 games and hit safely in 10 of 11 games.

imo with time he will slow down, get bigger and hit for power.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Singles to lead off the 9th & scores the winning run.

:parrot:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Garcia is doing really, really, well. But, I'm still skeptical. Hopefully Garcia can keep it up and hit 2014 on fire.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Happy for phegley but I've flopped on him . No better than a backup I now feel

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
RIP Avisail.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Rongey let me know no concussion and could play tomorrow.