CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Or one could look at it as "the day all the women are shopping post-Xmas sales and returning things while the male family members hang out and are watching football at noon" bowl. :D

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice class Beckman has put together. Just signed Tennessee Mr. Football and 4* RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're talking about it now on WDWS. Sounds like the Illini are having a good morning.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yep. Solid class. It's the best Beckman has produced. Now what's left are the staff openings he has to fill. Miznoz DL coach used IL for an increase in salary.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'll move the discussion to the appropriate thread regarding Zook. You may find this interesting, Jim. It isn't the most well-written article, but what it shows is almost 50% of his recruits never made it through 4 years. It shouldn't be any surprise why there was so much class imbalance.

http://illiniboard.com/2014/07/16/comparing-zook-and-beckman/

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know what exactly went down but WDWS is talking about Beckdick going after the media yesterday. Said he ruined a very good day. :shrug:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He made a fairly innocent remark about everyone getting positive about the program, which included the beat writers. That drew a bit of scrutiny he didn't expect and then he went on B&B yesterday and wouldn't back down from everyone needing to be positive. He should have just left everything at what a great signing day we had. That's essentially what has occurred in a nutshell.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Say what you want about Zook, but almost everyone liked the guy. More than I can say about Beck.
Beck got started off on the wrong foot and has never been able to recover. He isn't very good in press conferences.His first coaching staff as a group wasn't very good and his defenses are dreadful, although they improved in the second half last season. This latest dustup with the press is just SOP for Beck it seems. :D

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Beck got started off on the wrong foot and has never been able to recover. He isn't very good in press conferences.His first coaching staff as a group wasn't very good and his defenses are dreadful, although they improved in the second half last season. This latest dustup with the press is just SOP for Beck it seems. :D

The funny thing is Zook would come back in a heart beat. All we have to do is call. At this point, I think almost all Illini fans would give up their first born to trade Beck for Zook.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Zook needs strong Coordinators, IMHO. If that was the case I would agree.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goodbye Aaron Bailey. Wish things would have turned out differently. It was apparent the staff didn't think he fit into their system. So it'll be interesting to see what we have in Chayce Crouch when he starts next year after Lunt's future injuries. Cubit likes him.

Interesting name that grayshirted last year and signed for this years class- Jeff George Jr. I don't expect much more from him than third string, but wouldn't that be something if he turns out to be a late bloomer and is decent?

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
Beckman, IMO, will go down for this Cvijanovic situation. Other anonymous players from Illinois and Toledo have supported some of his accusations and Nick North gave a pretty damning account to the Illinois student newspaper. The AD is going to get fried as well if he doesn't cut ties soon. I would like to think this would stem a larger conversation and NCAA action on player treatment, but we all know how inept and corrupt that organization is...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't know much about North or Cvjanovich, but something to keep in mind: it's very rare that the stars of a college football team are asked to do what those two have apparently been asked to do.

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
I don't know much about North or Cvjanovich, but something to keep in mind: it's very rare that the stars of a college football team are asked to do what those two have apparently been asked to do.

Do you mean it's not very rare that stars are asked to do this? or that you do think that these are isolated cases? I believe it is likely very common. Which is part of the problem. A 20 year old kid shouldn't have his meniscus removed instead of repaired so that he can return more quickly to a college sport. You shouldn't be able to remove an athletic scholarship (or threaten to) because a kid is hurt and refuses to play through an injury.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Do you mean it's not very rare that stars are asked to do this? or that you do think that these are isolated cases? I believe it is likely very common. Which is part of the problem. A 20 year old kid shouldn't have his meniscus removed instead of repaired so that he can return more quickly to a college sport. You shouldn't be able to remove an athletic scholarship (or threaten to) because a kid is hurt and refuses to play through an injury.

Sorry, poorly worded. What I'm suggesting is this: a guy like Rashard Mendenhall (to use an Illini example) doesn't have to worry about his scholarship being hung over his head due to sitting out a practice because of knee issues. A coach can't do that to him because he's a guy that's a projected draft pick. Take guys like North and Cvjanovich who aren't draft picks and scumbags like Beckman can dangle that carrot over their heads if they don't play through the injury. My guess is that this happens quite often to these two.

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
Listening to B&B on the way home from work today and I actually agree with them, there's no way Mike Thomas can say "yeah I'm gonna look into things, but I'm keeping the findings to myself". That just oozes of cover up to me.

Another thing to think about- Some people might enjoy the thought of this leading to Beckdick and Thomas getting fired, myself included. But if it comes to that, it's likely that won't be the only thing to happen to the football program. Some sanctions or a probation of some sort would likely be included.