CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The more tweets one reads, the more it's looking like a few Zook leftovers creating the stir.

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
The more tweets one reads, the more it's looking like a few Zook leftovers creating the stir.

Haven't they contracted with a law firm to do an independent investigation? I think that will hopefully drill down to the truth. The larger fact remains however. These college football players, especially OL/RB and non-NFL prospects, are destroying their bodies for an education with little to no representation. That doesn't seem like an even trade for me, I'll take my student loan debt.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Haven't they contracted with a law firm to do an independent investigation? I think that will hopefully drill down to the truth.
The chancellor's office took it over, not leaving it up to Thomas.

The larger fact remains however. These college football players, especially OL/RB and non-NFL prospects, are destroying their bodies for an education with little to no representation.
That isn't a Beckman issue. That changes the landscape for all programs. The fact is that in four years a college program is going to have roughly 20-25 turnover each year, so during the tenure of Beckman we're talking about roughly 120-130 scholly players. Please tell me in any environment, employment or otherwise, where there will be 100% satisfaction.

That doesn't seem like an even trade for me, I'll take my student loan debt.
If you think you can handle $40,000-50,000 in student debt each year, that's certainly your prerogative. Most players understand what they are getting into. It's a full-time job (almost 2 FT jobs) going to school and being on an athletic team. The funny thing is many parents drive for an athletic scholarship when there is a lot more academic money available.

Here's a piece that has a bit different side represented-

http://espn.go.com/college-football...layers-back-tim-beckman-social-media-campaign

edit: And I don't want my post to come off as harsh. I hope it is investigated thoroughly and if there is something to SC's claims, especially regarding the health issues, that it's taken care of properly.

Last edited:

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
I got student loans all the way through my MBA and i am doing fine. Oh, and I can go run a marathon if I feel like it because I haven't had my meniscus removed. And... the allegations raised by Simon and North are a Beckman issue...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I got student loans all the way through my MBA and i am doing fine. Oh, and I can go run a marathon if I feel like it because I haven't had my meniscus removed. And... the allegations raised by Simon and North are a Beckman issue...
Good for you. That's your personal choice. Others choose a different path. Some choose your path and become the in debt and bankrupt 99% And no. The point you made didn't directly pertain to Beckman. You included quite a few football players from OL to RB. Would you like me to quote your post for you or can you go up a couple posts and read what you actually typed out?

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Haven't they contracted with a law firm to do an independent investigation? I think that will hopefully drill down to the truth. The larger fact remains however. These college football players, especially OL/RB and non-NFL prospects, are destroying their bodies for an education with little to no representation. That doesn't seem like an even trade for me, I'll take my student loan debt.

Didn't you use the GI Bill?

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
Didn't you use the GI Bill?

Yeah but it was the MGIB and my master's was an accelerated program at a private school, so the 1300/mo the MGIB gave me didn't quite cut it. Actually, it didn't come even close :lol:

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
Good for you. That's your personal choice. Others choose a different path. Some choose your path and become the in debt and bankrupt 99% And no. The point you made didn't directly pertain to Beckman. You included quite a few football players from OL to RB. Would you like me to quote your post for you or can you go up a couple posts and read what you actually typed out?

Because i would hope that this entire shit storm starts a bigger conversation on college athletes as a whole...like beyond Simon, North, Beckman, Illinois. I would be willing to bet my house that a lot of college coaches do this type of shit, but get away with it due to the status of their program and the revenues is produces. No player is going to try to call out Saban or Urban like they will a guy like Beckman.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The name Corey Lewis probably doesn’t mean much to the average college football fan. To me, it means a lot. It means a player who gutted it out through six years and — count ’em — four ACL tears as an offensive lineman at Illinois. It means a bright, engaging 25-year-old with a master’s degree who refuses give up on an improbable NFL dream. It means the sort of guy you just plain want to root for.
“I felt like my situation was handled great,” he said. “With my history, Beckman didn’t have to bring me back for a sixth year, but he did. When I was out in 2012, [then-offensive line coach Luke] Butkus kept my spirits up. The next year, [offensive coordinator Bill] Cubit grew like a father figure to me. Everybody knew my situation, and everybody on the team kind of rallied around me.”
Oft-injured Corey Lewis describes care received at Illinois as 'great'
http://chicago.suntimes.com/college...-lewis-describes-care-received-illinois-great