No Surprise: Chicago Cubs Claim Daniel Bard Off Waivers

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs have just made it official that they have claimed relief pitcher Daniel Bard of waivers from the Boston Red Sox. I wrote up a few days ago that I do expect Bard to be a member of the Cubs in days. Chris Cotillo had the inside scoop on the Cubs potentially landing Bard. As the corresponding move, the Cubs have desiganted OF Cole Gillespie for assignment.

Bard is an Epstein guy as he drafted him in 2006 when he was the Red Sox general manager. Bard, only 28-years old, still has a lot of potential and can be a major impact to the Cubs bullpen next year.

Gillespie has no part in the Cubs future and him being designating for assignment doesn’t surprise me. But I’m surprise he was DFA first over Darnell McDonald of whom never sees the field. I think there’s a great chance McDonald is DFA when the Cubs activate Scott Baker off the 60-day DL. If the Cubs need OF help, they can always call up Matt Szczur of whom is on the 40-man roster and no move will have to be made.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Bard can do to end the season. If he can find the strike zone again, he can be deadly and that’s what the Cubs are hoping for.

Earlier today, the Cubs made another roster move by calling up RP Chang-Long Lim. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Lim, the Cubs designated Michael Bowden for assignment. I thought Bowden would be DFA in the off-season, so I had a feeling the move was on the way. Lim is a strikeout pitcher and is a hard pitcher vs. righties.

If all goes to plan, we could very well see a bullpen of Pedro Strop, Zack Rosscup, Chang-Long Lim, Daniel Bard, Blake Parker and Carlos Villanueva next season.

I have a feeling James Russell will be traded in the off-season and Kevin Gregg will sign elsewhere. Possibly the last bullpen spot willgo to Arodys Vizcaino, but I think the Cubs are going to try him as a starter. Plus, Kyuji Fujikawa is expected to return sometime next season.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/09/04/no-surprise-chicago-cubs-claim-daniel-bard-off-waivers/

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yay! More Boston garbage.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why not? The cubs are probably a year away from being legit contenders so if they can use next year to get him on track for cheap sure.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
They got rid of Gillespie. It's not like there is any risk what so ever involved here. I hate how people bitch about these type of moves. Who cares? If one of these pan out then it's worth it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They got rid of Gillespie. It's not like there is any risk what so ever involved here. I hate how people bitch about these type of moves. Who cares? If one of these pan out then it's worth it.

And it may very well not pan out. What evidence do you have that Bard will return to his old form?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
And it may very well not pan out. What evidence do you have that Bard will return to his old form?

And if he doesn't we pretty much just gave up Cole Gillespie to get him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yay! More Boston garbage.
:lol:

Seriously, I agree with you sentiment towards Theo, yet this guy doesn't really cost much and it's worth the late season to see if he could get on track and help the Pen next year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a little surprised given the upcoming 40 man roster crunch as this team struggles with having too many guys that are bottom of a 40 man roster material. I thought they would wait to try to snag him in the offseason because Bard is going to get a healthy raise despite sucking the past few years in arbitration. That said upside is there, and for virtually no cost there really isn't anything to bitch about this move.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm a little surprised given the upcoming 40 man roster crunch as this team struggles with having too many guys that are bottom of a 40 man roster material. I thought they would wait to try to snag him in the offseason because Bard is going to get a healthy raise despite sucking the past few years in arbitration. That said upside is there, and for virtually no cost there really isn't anything to bitch about this move.

And at this moment, there is nothing to pop a cork over either regarding this move.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And at this moment, there is nothing to pop a cork over either regarding this move.

I missed where people were popping a cork. I did see it suggested that a pitcher in his late 20s could possibly regain previous near elite, or elite depending on your definition, that he had just a few seasons ago.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs could non-tender him and re-sign him. Just like they did with Ian Stewart. I think that could very well happen and the Cubs will obvious have the most interest IF he's still a guy they like to finish this season.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This is one thing that bothers me.... they go young and some here complain because they aren't adding major league talent. So, they add vets off the wavier wire who've been good in the past and it's a case of oh we're picking up someone else's trash. To be perfectly blunt, the current front office has been exceedingly good at taking other people's "trash" and turning them into quality players. Maholm, Feldman, Gregg, Wood, Schierholtz....etc. When Bard has played well he was better than most if not all of those guys. So, there's reason to believe they will turn him back around as well.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Fans just have the mindset to hate every move the front office makes and that's where it comes too.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is one thing that bothers me.... they go young and some here complain because they aren't adding major league talent. So, they add vets off the wavier wire who've been good in the past and it's a case of oh we're picking up someone else's trash. To be perfectly blunt, the current front office has been exceedingly good at taking other people's "trash" and turning them into quality players. Maholm, Feldman, Gregg, Wood, Schierholtz....etc. When Bard has played well he was better than most if not all of those guys. So, there's reason to believe they will turn him back around as well.

Fair enough, I guess its my pessimistic nature as a Cub fan.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Gregg was trash. The rest were major league players that had some better seasons. They were moves to flip at the deadline. They were never signed to compete. Not being a dick just my opinion on them. Wood was potential that started to learn his potential. Stewart was a two time offender with Theo resigning him.