Causation vs. Correlation

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The best thing about this season is no Lovie and crew! We have an offense that isn't 30 years behind the times. Woooo!

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL, he's being sarcastic. HeHateMe likes to mindfuck people.

It's tough to know with all the meatheads out there. I know that the callers to sports talk are mostly dumb and hosts aren't that much better but damn it, I can't help being annoyed by the mindless BS spouting.

I think the offense is way better and I am confident that Trestman is better than Tice but some of those losses were so close that I have to think a better O-line and TE would make Tice look much better.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
People are excited about the 2-0 start and rightfully praising Trestman. I just tire of the mindless chorus that the team would be 0-2 with Lovie.

Every good thing that happens under his watch is not caused by MT. A ten win team added 4 new OL and a new TE. Why are people so sure the new coach is the cause of the better result?

Smith Did not Improve the Offensive Line last Season Hired Asshat Tice as OC.. do I need to continue?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie's gone......all hail Trestman

In reality, who gives a shit what we would be under Lovie....

I can say with almost all certainty that our offense would not be what it is with Lovie still at the helm.

After that, all bets are off.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's tough to know with all the meatheads out there. I know that the callers to sports talk are mostly dumb and hosts aren't that much better but damn it, I can't help being annoyed by the mindless BS spouting.

I think the offense is way better and I am confident that Trestman is better than Tice but some of those losses were so close that I have to think a better O-line and TE would make Tice look much better.

Frankly, if were playing the what if game here I would flat out say that no one would have benefited more from the current offensive roster than Mike Martz. Yes he got Cutler killed with his deep dropbacks but that offense was killing people in the intermediate passing game with a god awful offensive line and a pretty bad cast of ball catchers.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Smith Did not Improve the Offensive Line last Season Hired Asshat Tice as OC.. do I need to continue?

Emery was the GM last year. He didn't improve the line. Signed a quitter in Richal and just a guy in Scott.

My only point in this thread is that many people may be a little too happy with start and are saying illogical things.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Frankly, if were playing the what if game here I would flat out say that no one would have benefited more from the current offensive roster than Mike Martz. Yes he got Cutler killed with his deep dropbacks but that offense was killing people in the intermediate passing game with a god awful offensive line and a pretty bad cast of ball catchers.

True, Johnny Knox was getting near 19 ypc under Martz.

I agree with the guy that ask why even mention Lovie. I couldn't even listen to the post game on 670. It was nonstop Lovie hating. I tuned in to bask in Bears afterglow and got that garbage. ESPN had a stupid NASCAR race, so I just spent time with my family instead.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Emery was the GM last year. He didn't improve the line. Signed a quitter in Richal and just a guy in Scott.

My only point in this thread is that many people may be a little too happy with start and are saying illogical things.

That was Lovie's last hurrah and ever since his contract extension post-SB he was given higher drafting authority. Emery did not have his own scouts and was forced to use the existing system in place. Its not a truly fair assessment of Emery at that point. This year's draft on the other hand is exclusively on the man.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Johnny Knox was getting near 19 ypc under Martz.

I know, like I said...the intermediate passing game was on fire. Knox if you might remember also cost Cutler a boatload of INTs.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:

Be honest with yourself. How much say do you think Emery gave Lovie and Tice in regards to who their starting OL would be? Especially considering it was his first offseason on short notice and he had no choice but to keep Lovie for one year? It is pretty obvious right after 2012, we saw Emery in full control and doing everything HIS way. You can see the dividends pay off immediately.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
True, Johnny Knox was getting near 19 ypc under Martz.

I agree with the guy that ask why even mention Lovie. I couldn't even listen to the post game on 670. It wad nonstop Lovie hating. I tuned in to bask in Bwars afterglow and got that garbage. ESPN has a stupid NASCAR race, so I just spent time with my family instead.

I am kinda confused. Are you trying to say Knox's average ypc means the Bears didn't have a sorry cast of ball catchers?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Sorry to mess with you earlier.

I would like to agree, but I believe that Trestman is key here. Just listen to the post game presser from the Bengals game. Trestman articulates his gameplan and if you watch the game you can see how his process worked. He is very much a coach that believes in developing the psychology of his team and puts them in positions to buy into his process and their own percieved strengths.

Maybe Lovie had a process maybe he didn't. He sure didn't articulate it. The communication is much better with Trestman in most likely every respect, and that is paramount to getting a team to play better.

If anything, most expectations were that the Bears would be shaky getting this new system installed. It sure doesn't look very shaky at all.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
People are excited about the 2-0 start and rightfully praising Trestman. I just tire of the mindless chorus that the team would be 0-2 with Lovie.

Every good thing that happens under his watch is not caused by MT. A ten win team added 4 new OL and a new TE. Why are people so sure the new coach is the cause of the better result?

Because you have to know how to use the O linemen and the TE...

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Be honest with yourself. How much say do you think Emery gave Lovie and Tice in regards to who their starting OL would be?.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall there. Considering all the OL they drafted and signed I don't think they were wedded to anybody on that line. See the Carimi draft, the Spencer signing, I think Tice would have been happy to have better players to choose from.

Lovie was never scared to churn the roster. See safeties, #2 corner, SLB, #3 DE, all those spots were open competitions year after year.

Phil just missed on OL last year. Lovie,like all pro coaches was only conditionally loyal to on his players, I highly doubt he fought for any of those bums upfront.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry to mess with you earlier.

I would like to agree, but I believe that Trestman is key here. Just listen to the post game presser from the Bengals game. Trestman articulates his gameplan and if you watch the game you can see how his process worked. He is very much a coach that believes in developing the psychology of his team and puts them in positions to buy into his process and their own percieved strengths.

Maybe Lovie had a process maybe he didn't. He sure didn't articulate it. The communication is much better with Trestman in most likely every respect, and that is paramount to getting a team to play better.

If anything, most expectations were that the Bears would be shaky getting this new system installed. It sure doesn't look very shaky at all.

Oh damn, I had forgotten altogether about just how articulate and thoughtful Trestman's responses are with media versus Lovie's. That is certainly a big difference. You also can't understate your other point about developing the psychology of the team and I particularly like that quote players keep repeating about what Trestman says. Something to the effect of its a 58 minute game plus 2. He has been drilling into them that be accountable, full effort, never say never attitude which helps to keep them settled when its needed in the clutch. I frankly can't be any happier with our current GM/HC combination.

EDUB316

Liked Posts:
I would love to have been a fly on the wall there. Considering all the OL they drafted and signed I don't think they were wedded to anybody on that line. See the Carimi draft, the Spencer signing, I think Tice would have been happy to have better players to choose from.
You don't think they were wedded? Tice had a mancrush on Webb. Went went from a rookie RT who struggled to starting LT next offseason. He had his own little "developmental guys." We had the same starting OL outside of Tice's Carimi who also blew. There was no urgency by Tice (plus angelo and probably Lovie as well). It took one offseason to clean up what Tice couldn't figure out for 3 years. You prioritize OL, period. Tice wasn't honest with himself on the talent of his OL that he coached.

Lovie was never scared to churn the roster. See safeties, #2 corner, SLB, #3 DE, all those spots were open competitions year after year.
Yes, he did that, but this has been gone over before. You say churn the roster and name nothing but defensive players. Lovie never held offensive players accountable and never looked at the offensive side of the ball with as much credibility, hence why we developed a culture of bad offense that eventually got him fired.

Phil just missed on OL last year. Lovie,like all pro coaches was only conditionally loyal to on his players, I highly doubt he fought for any of those bums upfront.
Phil wasn't going to overturn the roster completely for a coach who may not be there the next year. If Phil got a bunch of offensive players Lovie and Tice liked (which had shown to not work very well) and he had to fire them, then he couldn't be too flexible with a head coaching hire. If he were going to completely disregard the coaches in his personnel moves, why even keep those coaches around? Lovie had quite a bit of blame for what was wrong with the roster. To think otherwise would be irrational.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am kinda confused. Are you trying to say Knox's average ypc means the Bears didn't have a sorry cast of ball catchers?

No. I edited to try and clarify. I was trying to agree that Martz could have done some things with better players.

I did like Knox and I feel that he would have been a scary ass #2/3 and KO man but he wasn't ready to be the best WR on a team

paytonisgod

Liked Posts:
Not to get all psychological but most of the "Love would've...." stuff is people making post-hoc rationalizations to make themselves feel better about the change of coach. Now some of those rationalization may even be correct, but it's done primarily for emotional reasons and not necessarily for real concerns. I liked Lovie as a coach but it was time for him to move on. He had his chance and unfortunately it just didn't work out. But turning him into a whipping boy for every perceived past problem while putting Trestman up on a pedestal is ridiculous, especially after only 2 games into the season.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to get all psychological but most of the "Love would've...." stuff is people making post-hoc rationalizations to make themselves feel better about the change of coach. Now some of those rationalization may even be correct, but it's done primarily for emotional reasons and not necessarily for real concerns. I liked Lovie as a coach but it was time for him to move on. He had his chance and unfortunately it just didn't work out. But turning him into a whipping boy for every perceived past problem while putting Trestman up on a pedestal is ridiculous, especially after only 2 games into the season.

I think we agree on this matter almost point by point. You said it better than I did.

cobbland

Liked Posts:
That was Lovie's last hurrah and ever since his contract extension post-SB he was given higher drafting authority. Emery did not have his own scouts and was forced to use the existing system in place. Its not a truly fair assessment of Emery at that point. This year's draft on the other hand is exclusively on the man.

Another falsehood widely accepted as true, especially when you consider that some of these "Angelo holdovers," were promoted.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/staff.html

Bears still shuffling scouts
May 01, 2013|By Dan Pompei, Tribune Reporter

Although the Chicago Bears did a pretty dramatic scouting department makeover at this time one year ago, they still will be making some tweaks.

League sources said the team is looking to hire a scout to replace James Kirkland, a holdover scout from the previous regime who was let go before the draft. Kirkland had been assigned to the Atlantic area.

Kirkland was a pro scout before the arrival of general manager Phil Emery. He also worked as a scout for the Browns before coming to Chicago.

Last offseason, in the months after Emery’s hiring, the team added eight scouts and promoted six others. The most significant moves were promoting two long-time scouts, making Marty Barrett director of college scouting and Chris Ballard director of pro scouting.

The Bears’ scouting department is the largest in team history, and one of the largest in the league.

dpompei@tribune.com

Twitter@danpompei

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ice-20130501_1_chicago-bears-scout-phil-emery