Looking back: Does it bother you the Bears 'wasted' 3-4 years of Cutlers prime?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that was kind of the point though. I am more bothered when great players are held back by Cutler himself, than by Cutler being allegedly held back by poor players.
Oddly, that's defense yet we're discussing offense. What great players did he "hold back" on the O side of the ball? Damn that quarterback for not making...

Roy Williams a better #1, Devin Hester a #1, Devin Aramashadu a #1, Johnny Knox a #1. Damn Cutler for...

Not mkaing that offensive line look better. Not their fault he couldn't throw the ball to this highly regarded recievers who went on to have such amazing careers after leaving that horrendous qb play from the Bears. I mean, how can you fault such highly qualified individuals like....

Mike Tice, Ron Turner, Mike Martz? Lovie Smith even! Shit, they were hot commodities once they left Chicago. I mean, it was very well known they were highly qualified guys that were just working with crappy quarterback Jay. Sheesh, I mean those guys are like Mike Mccarthy when he was 49ers OC. His offensive ranking sucked but it was well known in the league he was gonna be a good head ocach. As for the Bears previous Cutler OC's.... Where are they working at again?

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
N8XFMGG.jpg

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Urlacher was 35 years old with how many injuries in his past?

SHould teams go after Dick Butkus too Rory?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
What bothers me most is that Jerry Angelo wasted however many years of Bears football... he missed on an overwhelming amount of picks...

I feel like I wasted a ton of time cheering for draft picks i knew couldn't cut it on any other team...

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO..No time watching the Bears is ever wasted...The bad years make you appreciate the good years even more.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Was thinking Jay would be Dead or asking for A Trade by now,he is playing as good 'probably better' then I have ever seen.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh. Not everyone goes to the superbowl as a rookie backup like Kapernick, and any number of good qbs labored in obscurity their whole careers on bad teams. Cutler is still mostly intact (except for the whole neck twitch thing) and, cliche or not, he has learned to deal with adversity. Plus he's made bank. I want the Bears to win a superbowl every year but I'd say the odds are against Cutler ever getting one in Chicago. That's life.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some people would say Cutler never had a prime so it doesn't matter...I'm not one of those however

Love Da Bears

Liked Posts:
I agree, but I don't think his prime isn't close to being over. I've heard that a QB's prime is like 29-35ish. So we could 5+ years of solid football. And that's exciting.

The defense does worry me, but I trust Emery.

Edit: I could be completely off on the prime thing. But I definitely remember hearing that somewhere.

willynowei

Liked Posts:
What people don't understand about Cutler is that he was a quarterback under development when he came to Chicago. His second year as a starter in Denver, when he went to the probowl, he was a markedly different quarterback from his first year in Denver.

During each offseason he watched film with Jeremy Bates on the pocket presence and footwork of Manning and Brady because his feet weren't active enough in the pocket so sometimes when he wanted to get a ball out quickly he wasn't going through the whole motion but throwing off the back foot. He also adjusted his throwing motion because he used to hold the ball too low to the chest on dropbacks, which would cause him to overcompensate on the throwing motion and have the ball sail high on him. He also had a tendency to telegraph his throws because he wouldn't position his shoulders perpendicular to the line of scrimmage and his body lean allowed defenders guess where he went with the ball. He fixed a lot of these things year over year in Denver, but when he came to Chicago i saw him regress to his rookie year mistakes, I don't think that's just O-line, i think that's environment and coaching, could Chicago have provided both talent and coaching under the Angelo regime? I doubt it...

I know in Denver Cutler was close to his QB coach and respected Shanahan very much, basically when McDaniels went to the Broncos, Cutler and Marshall both thought of him as an inferior coach and scoffed at him during the interview/screening process. Their first meeting was filled with animosity, it was all over the media there, from the very beginning they disrespected their coach and McDaniels would eventually trade both of them (putting cutler on the market for Matt Cassel), and the rest is history.

Now in Chicago, the offensive staff, the linemen, the receivers were all really bad, not below average, but bottom 5 in the league. I don't think I've seen a worse set of starting wide receivers in the NFL (for a whole season) than what the bears had out there in Hester and Knox, and what's worst is that I'd say our O-line was even worse (pass protection wise). But probably most importantly, the offensive staff here was always in flux, different guys every year, none of them were particular great, and that's why Cutler kept lobbying for QB coach Jeremy Bates, it was the only guy he felt he could trust to improve him as a QB.

You can tell Cutler trusts Trestman, just look at his demeanor in Offseason, even before the first preseason game, with no idea of how good his O-line was, Cutler looked different, he looked happy. He looked happy because he trust that his coaches have him in the right direction. His mechanics are back on track, he's not reverting to the same mistakes I saw him make in his rookie year. People forget, in Denver Marshall was the trouble maker who had a bad attitude, and Cutler was always revered as a great team leader who kept Marshall on track. Somehow after the trade a whole lot of stuff about demeanor got drummed up mainly due to the fact that Cutler more or less flipped off McDaniels, it says a lot that all his teammates sided with Cutler. Marshall, Scheffler (his tight end), Ryan Harris (his right tackle) and Peyton Hillis all sided with Cutler and had shitty relationships with McDaniels after the Cutler Debacle, as a result they all got traded.

I'm trying to say the kid didn't just need talent around him, he needed some form of mentorship because his organization got blown up abruptly in the middle of his development. Its a combination of a good line and good coaching, every top player needs coaching to remind them of what they are doing wrong, especially if they are young. When Rodgers came out for his first start, he was on a team with leftovers from Holmgrem's legacy and the Walsh era, and had 3 years on the bench to watch and learn from Bret Farve. Guys who sit behind Bret Farve seem to learn a lot, I heard this other guy Kurt Warner turned out pretty well too.

Football is like everything else in life, you need good guidance and mentorship to learn, Cutler lost his when he was traded out of Denver, it's actually beyond just the O-line when the QB is so young. Now if you're buying Peyton Manning from Free Agency, yeah, maybe your coaches don't matter, but if you are trading for the youngest Pro Bowl QB in the league, yeah your coaches and environment is going to matter a lot.

In this case the Bears didn't really provide that guidance, which I think was more critical than even the O-line or Receivers. Cutler should've taken another big step forward in mechanics from his second to his third full season as a starter, but somehow he regressed.

That's the biggest mistake for the Bears, but now we have a chance with Trestman. Cutler clearly trusts this guy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
lmao please go away. What did he have besides Brandon Marshall? How was that offensive line last year? Wheres Mike Tice working at again?

You're done.

He's right. Wasting the prime years of these elite all-pros is a muhc bigger tragedy than wasting a few years of an average starting QB. That Urlacher-Briggs-Peanut core was one of the best in football for a decade.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's right. Wasting the prime years of these elite all-pros is a muhc bigger tragedy than wasting a few years of an average starting QB. That Urlacher-Briggs-Peanut core was one of the best in football for a decade.
So Grossman wasted their time as well?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So Grossman wasted their time as well?

What?

You must have thought that i was saying that Cutler wasted their time, to make a response like that. That's not what I said at all.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
What did you mean then?

That its more upsetting that Urlacher/Briggs/Tillman had their primes wasted than Cutler's prime wasted

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
What people don't understand about Cutler is that he was a quarterback under development when he came to Chicago. His second year as a starter in Denver, when he went to the probowl, he was a markedly different quarterback from his first year in Denver.

During each offseason he watched film with Jeremy Bates on the pocket presence and footwork of Manning and Brady because his feet weren't active enough in the pocket so sometimes when he wanted to get a ball out quickly he wasn't going through the whole motion but throwing off the back foot. He also adjusted his throwing motion because he used to hold the ball too low to the chest on dropbacks, which would cause him to overcompensate on the throwing motion and have the ball sail high on him. He also had a tendency to telegraph his throws because he wouldn't position his shoulders perpendicular to the line of scrimmage and his body lean allowed defenders guess where he went with the ball. He fixed a lot of these things year over year in Denver, but when he came to Chicago i saw him regress to his rookie year mistakes, I don't think that's just O-line, i think that's environment and coaching, could Chicago have provided both talent and coaching under the Angelo regime? I doubt it...

I know in Denver Cutler was close to his QB coach and respected Shanahan very much, basically when McDaniels went to the Broncos, Cutler and Marshall both thought of him as an inferior coach and scoffed at him during the interview/screening process. Their first meeting was filled with animosity, it was all over the media there, from the very beginning they disrespected their coach and McDaniels would eventually trade both of them (putting cutler on the market for Matt Cassel), and the rest is history.

Now in Chicago, the offensive staff, the linemen, the receivers were all really bad, not below average, but bottom 5 in the league. I don't think I've seen a worse set of starting wide receivers in the NFL (for a whole season) than what the bears had out there in Hester and Knox, and what's worst is that I'd say our O-line was even worse (pass protection wise). But probably most importantly, the offensive staff here was always in flux, different guys every year, none of them were particular great, and that's why Cutler kept lobbying for QB coach Jeremy Bates, it was the only guy he felt he could trust to improve him as a QB.

You can tell Cutler trusts Trestman, just look at his demeanor in Offseason, even before the first preseason game, with no idea of how good his O-line was, Cutler looked different, he looked happy. He looked happy because he trust that his coaches have him in the right direction. His mechanics are back on track, he's not reverting to the same mistakes I saw him make in his rookie year. People forget, in Denver Marshall was the trouble maker who had a bad attitude, and Cutler was always revered as a great team leader who kept Marshall on track. Somehow after the trade a whole lot of stuff about demeanor got drummed up mainly due to the fact that Cutler more or less flipped off McDaniels, it says a lot that all his teammates sided with Cutler. Marshall, Scheffler (his tight end), Ryan Harris (his right tackle) and Peyton Hillis all sided with Cutler and had shitty relationships with McDaniels after the Cutler Debacle, as a result they all got traded.

I'm trying to say the kid didn't just need talent around him, he needed some form of mentorship because his organization got blown up abruptly in the middle of his development. Its a combination of a good line and good coaching, every top player needs coaching to remind them of what they are doing wrong, especially if they are young. When Rodgers came out for his first start, he was on a team with leftovers from Holmgrem's legacy and the Walsh era, and had 3 years on the bench to watch and learn from Bret Farve. Guys who sit behind Bret Farve seem to learn a lot, I heard this other guy Kurt Warner turned out pretty well too.

Football is like everything else in life, you need good guidance and mentorship to learn, Cutler lost his when he was traded out of Denver, it's actually beyond just the O-line when the QB is so young. Now if you're buying Peyton Manning from Free Agency, yeah, maybe your coaches don't matter, but if you are trading for the youngest Pro Bowl QB in the league, yeah your coaches and environment is going to matter a lot.

In this case the Bears didn't really provide that guidance, which I think was more critical than even the O-line or Receivers. Cutler should've taken another big step forward in mechanics from his second to his third full season as a starter, but somehow he regressed.

That's the biggest mistake for the Bears, but now we have a chance with Trestman. Cutler clearly trusts this guy.

That is an excellent post... Thanks...

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL 3-4 years?!? That's cute.

As if wasting 4 years of Cutler's career is going to phase me when I've already watched them waste Walter's entire career not to mention wasting the lives of the entire fan base for the past 20 odd years Sweaty Teddy's has been running things.

No use crying over spilt milk. I don't care how we got here, I'm just happy that we're finally here with a new GM and coaching staff that appears to not have it's head stuck up it's own ass like the previous regime. Cutler should have a few years left on his tires, whatever we can get out of him before Trestman moves on with a new prospect is fine with me.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This has just become Cutler's prime.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Wow. That's an impressive post. Good job man!

dhMeAzK.gif