Looking back: Does it bother you the Bears 'wasted' 3-4 years of Cutlers prime?

Monster

Liked Posts:
Jay is in his prime years... Late 20s early 30s for QBs...

As we know Urlacher, Tillman, Briggs, Forte, are at the backside of theirs...

The next two years will tell a lot... unless of course Jay doesn't get a contract in Chicago and goes elsewhere...

A lot of the Offensive future then will depend on the QB drafted, etc....

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
LOL

Banned
This message is hidden because Rory Sparrow is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list
VIEW POST
Today, 02:19 PM
Rory Sparrow
Banned
View Post

I wish it would hide quotes too

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
1084.gif

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nope.

I enjoyed the stupidity along the way. Its in sharp contrast to the Light we are seeing nowadays.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL

Banned
View Post
VIEW POST
Today, 02:19 PM
Rory Sparrow
Banned
View Post

I wish it would hide quotes too

I don't understand why people use that ignore list. For me, part of the fun of the board is getting to berate stupid people, so I never use it. I don't even block Rodney.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I don't understand why people use that ignore list. For me, part of the fun of the board is getting to berate stupid people, so I never use it. I don't even block Rodney.

Agree, I also feel that if I want to ignore someone I can do it the old fashion way and scroll past their post. Don't know what is worse, actually using the ignore function or posting that you ignored someone.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it took a good QB to make it abundantly clear our front office didn't have a clue what they were doing, coaching included.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Waste doesn't seem like the right word as it suggests Angelo and Lovie knew the tires on the Ferrari were bad. In reality, they thought they go good tires (Omiyale, Carimi, C Williams), found out the tires were shit and then had to use the spare tires (Webb, Scott) because of it.

So I am not upset they wasted 3-4 years of Cutler's prime. I am upset that they apparently sucked evaluating talent particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm trying to say the kid didn't just need talent around him, he needed some form of mentorship because his organization got blown up abruptly in the middle of his development. Its a combination of a good line and good coaching, every top player needs coaching to remind them of what they are doing wrong, especially if they are young. When Rodgers came out for his first start, he was on a team with leftovers from Holmgrem's legacy and the Walsh era, and had 3 years on the bench to watch and learn from Bret Farve. Guys who sit behind Bret Farve seem to learn a lot, I heard this other guy Kurt Warner turned out pretty well too.

Not to mention that Cutler's 1st OC with the Bears was Ron Turner, the guy who yanked his scholarship at Illinois.

I never got a sense that Lovie was even trying to fill that mentor role, which was odd after trading two 1sts for a young QB. But that's pretty much in line with Lovie's hands off approach to the offense. It became a problem when Jay went out injured in the NFC championship game. How long did it take Lovie to come to Jay's defense? Cutler had already been slaughtered by the press and players on twitter.

I like the tone Emery and Trestman have set regarding Cutler so far. They're clearly on board, have given him the tools he needs, and are pushing him to step up and earn a contract. Publicly they're showing support and clearly putting responsibility on his shoulders.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Waste doesn't seem like the right word as it suggests Angelo and Lovie knew the tires on the Ferrari were bad. In reality, they thought they go good tires (Omiyale, Carimi, C Williams), found out the tires were shit and then had to use the spare tires (Webb, Scott) because of it.

So I am not upset they wasted 3-4 years of Cutler's prime. I am upset that they apparently sucked evaluating talent particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

Well, Angelo did make a weak effort to trade for Anquan Boldin. When that failed, he spent 3rd and a 5th on rookie wideouts. I mean, that was just as good, right?

Looking back, Angelo could have traded up 2 spots for Clady in '08 instead of drafting the pre-injured Chris Williams at 14. How different the O-line would have been with a legit LT when Cutler got here.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
It bothers me more that the Bears have wasted 20+ years of my lifetime waiting for them to get their shit together after firing Ditka but outside of that, Yes it does bother me. The Bears should have had 2 championships during the Urlacher years, I'm confident so far that Emery has a clue and a plan to put this team on top where it belongs.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
The one thing we can all agree on is that's it's about damn time to win a Super Bowl.

goonies-time.jpg

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Na, according to Chicagoans this is a blue collar city. We don't need no stinkin offense. We got a mean defense.. lol I'm kiddin-- I just remember hearing that mentality when I was little guy in the mid to late '90s. Man, they sucked then.. I remember looking in the newspaper in 4th grade seeing the Bears record always being 4-12, 6-10.. Ugh, they sucked.

The idea that they didn't care about offense is foolish. They wasted a lot of high draft picks on guys who just weren't good or healthy.They also spent on free agents.

This message board "truth" has got to stop. Being bad is not the same as not caring.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
The thing is, Cutler DID make the talent around him better... he made downright shitty talent only look bad to mediocre. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit...

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes. But it bothers me more that they wasted one of the most dominant defenses during the last decade-ish. Hopefully the new regime can find some sort of balance so we can keep the defense relatively dominant and also build a competent offense

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Not all of you may like the guy, but we all can see a difference with a competent offensive line, multuple options at wide reciever(all good ones) and a coaching staff that brings a system that's proven and works.

So I decided to look back the past 4 years when we just traded to get Jay, and thought how excited a lot of us were. When looking back-- does it anger you that you can make the arguement the Bears wasted 3-4 years of his talent in his prime? With recievers like Roy Williams, Devin Hester, Devin Aramshadu. Offensive linemen that went on to other teams and never started again, offensive coordinators that were let go only to never be offered a job in the same capacity.

So that leaves us thinking..It's disapointing to think Jerry Angelo and Lovie gave the guy nothing to work with. What I mean by that is.. As Doug and OB say on Score 670: "You can't give a Ferrari bald tires and expect it to run well." Just a complete dissapointment the Bears are able to trade for a pro bowl quarterback that everyone in the league KNEW was a great qb, only to expect the guy to make below average WR's and below average OL look better.

So now Cutler is 30, lots of hits and concussions.. And is looking like a much more confident quarterback and playing better.. Maybe just wishful thinking: But it would have been nice to see these aquistions and the direction taking place, happening 3 years ago.

I want to lastly say Thank You to Phil Emery and Marc Trestman. Emery has completely tore down the old regieme and built a different program in which he wants constant wins and willing to think outside the box. Emery has already used the word "franchise" and it's such a joy to see him in 2 offseasons makek the WR corps 10000x better and totally rebuilt the OL. As for Trestman, it's such a joy to see a guy that wants the offense to succeed and is not afraid to make changes at halftime and work with his players. I love Trestman and what he brings to the team, and really love the way in which the team is heading. Thanks Uncle Phil!-_Trestman-- It's nice to see Cutler and a working offense!

Woo!

Well any QB is going to look better when surrounded by quality players. And Jay certainly is no exception to that. But let's not forget that the guy had 3 really bad turnovers just last week. I have no doubt that Jay is going to look much improved this season but there is little evidence based on his career that Jay is an elite QB. Could the Bears have gotten more out of his talent with better players/coaches? No question. But I don't think it is fair to have unrealistic expectations. Jay obviously has talent. Now hopefully he can show the consistently through not only better players and coaches but through his own improved play.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thing is, Cutler DID make the talent around him better... he made downright shitty talent only look bad to mediocre. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit...

What was the reason that Cutler threw so many more picks to essentialy the same WRs that Orton/Grossman had the year before? He didn't seem to make them better as the offense was actually worse with him at QB as compared to year before. Am I forgetting sme major changes between 08 and 09?

Edit- according to FO. Offense went from 23rd in 2008 to 28 in 2009. I think Jay hasn't made anyone better that I can think of.

Last edited:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bothers me more that they wasted that D. With Cutler they didnt need a whole lot to be a dominant team. Just an OC that was competent enough to install a modern system and recognize the OL and WRs were shit (oh, and that we actually need those to win).

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
Totally agree on Trestman. I'm pissed they wasted the defense, Robbie Gould, Matt Forte and all the good players' chances of winning a Superbowl the last few years, not just Cutler.

If we as fans feel this way, imagine how the players feel..especially working in the last year of their contract..Fucking shame. I feel bad for Urlacher too.
If the Bears win a SB it's gonna have to hurt him to not have been a part of it..But hey thank God the FO came to their senses and George McCaskey was put in charge
Emery came on board and now we have a good coach and staff.
If they get close this year, I'll bet some of the vets will sign for a hometown discount to get over the hump.