Looking back: Does it bother you the Bears 'wasted' 3-4 years of Cutlers prime?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Not all of you may like the guy, but we all can see a difference with a competent offensive line, multuple options at wide reciever(all good ones) and a coaching staff that brings a system that's proven and works.

So I decided to look back the past 4 years when we just traded to get Jay, and thought how excited a lot of us were. When looking back-- does it anger you that you can make the arguement the Bears wasted 3-4 years of his talent in his prime? With recievers like Roy Williams, Devin Hester, Devin Aramshadu. Offensive linemen that went on to other teams and never started again, offensive coordinators that were let go only to never be offered a job in the same capacity.

So that leaves us thinking..It's disapointing to think Jerry Angelo and Lovie gave the guy nothing to work with. What I mean by that is.. As Doug and OB say on Score 670: "You can't give a Ferrari bald tires and expect it to run well." Just a complete dissapointment the Bears are able to trade for a pro bowl quarterback that everyone in the league KNEW was a great qb, only to expect the guy to make below average WR's and below average OL look better.

So now Cutler is 30, lots of hits and concussions.. And is looking like a much more confident quarterback and playing better.. Maybe just wishful thinking: But it would have been nice to see these aquistions and the direction taking place, happening 3 years ago.

I want to lastly say Thank You to Phil Emery and Marc Trestman. Emery has completely tore down the old regieme and built a different program in which he wants constant wins and willing to think outside the box. Emery has already used the word "franchise" and it's such a joy to see him in 2 offseasons makek the WR corps 10000x better and totally rebuilt the OL. As for Trestman, it's such a joy to see a guy that wants the offense to succeed and is not afraid to make changes at halftime and work with his players. I love Trestman and what he brings to the team, and really love the way in which the team is heading. Thanks Uncle Phil!-_Trestman-- It's nice to see Cutler and a working offense!

Woo!

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
a lot of us worried back in 2009 that he would get "David Carr"-ed and that's exactly what happened

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
50/50 pissed that the D had to wait so long for a competent QB, then we get him and we do what we always do...suck on Offense.

kurutoga

Liked Posts:
Of course not. Look at Peyton Manning at age 37 playing at his best. For QB, experience really counts. The next 5 years would be Cutler's time.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
a lot of us worried back in 2009 that he would get "David Carr"-ed and that's exactly what happened
How so? He seems much better in the pocket than in previous years. I don't think it was too late and if you ask my real opinion if they didn't rebuild the offensive line I wouldn't have been surprised you ended up being rihgt on him being Carred.

I will say this though, keeping Cutler upright and giving the dude time in the pocket has been a beautiful thing to watch.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
The real tragedy, if there is one, is that the Bears wasted the best years of Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, etc. Those guys were actually amongst the best at their positions. Not really upset that an until-proven-otherwise mediocre QB couldnt' play better after having Brandon Marshall added to the team.
lmao please go away. What did he have besides Brandon Marshall? How was that offensive line last year? Wheres Mike Tice working at again?

You're done.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting Cutler was great, but rebuilding the Oline has always been the most obvious and pressing need of the Bears offense. You win the game in the trenches.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes but unfortunately it was necessary to cause this organization to start rethinking and rebuilding itself to be an NFL team of the future.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Not all of you may like the guy, but we all can see a difference with a competent offensive line, multuple options at wide reciever(all good ones) and a coaching staff that brings a system that's proven and works.

So I decided to look back the past 4 years when we just traded to get Jay, and thought how excited a lot of us were. When looking back-- does it anger you that you can make the arguement the Bears wasted 3-4 years of his talent in his prime? With recievers like Roy Williams, Devin Hester, Devin Aramshadu. Offensive linemen that went on to other teams and never started again, offensive coordinators that were let go only to never be offered a job in the same capacity.

So that leaves us thinking..It's disapointing to think Jerry Angelo and Lovie gave the guy nothing to work with. What I mean by that is.. As Doug and OB say on Score 670: "You can't give a Ferrari bald tires and expect it to run well." Just a complete dissapointment the Bears are able to trade for a pro bowl quarterback that everyone in the league KNEW was a great qb, only to expect the guy to make below average WR's and below average OL look better.

So now Cutler is 30, lots of hits and concussions.. And is looking like a much more confident quarterback and playing better.. Maybe just wishful thinking: But it would have been nice to see these aquistions and the direction taking place, happening 3 years ago.

I want to lastly say Thank You to Phil Emery and Marc Trestman. Emery has completely tore down the old regieme and built a different program in which he wants constant wins and willing to think outside the box. Emery has already used the word "franchise" and it's such a joy to see him in 2 offseasons makek the WR corps 10000x better and totally rebuilt the OL. As for Trestman, it's such a joy to see a guy that wants the offense to succeed and is not afraid to make changes at halftime and work with his players. I love Trestman and what he brings to the team, and really love the way in which the team is heading. Thanks Uncle Phil!-_Trestman-- It's nice to see Cutler and a working offense!

Woo!

im alittle pissed. we came to chicago with a defensivce minded coach, horrible Oline and not too many weapons outside of forte and Olsen but at the end of the day he should have a solid 5-6 years left playing at a high level

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How so? He seems much better in the pocket than in previous years. I don't think it was too late and if you ask my real opinion if they didn't rebuild the offensive line I wouldn't have been surprised you ended up being rihgt on him being Carred.

I will say this though, keeping Cutler upright and giving the dude time in the pocket has been a beautiful thing to watch.

I was speaking specifically of the 148 sacks and however many concussions he had between 2009 and 2012. I'm not saying he's ruined, but it's too early to say whether he's going to have a great year.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No, because What do you mean by "prime?"

How do you define that?

Qbs at their max performance seems to look more like into their early 30s than compared to a physical mid 20s style of living.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

kurutoga

Liked Posts:
The real tragedy would be Bears continue to believe in (only) defense win championships and model the team based on 2000 Tampa.

The real tragedy, if there is one, is that the Bears wasted the best years of Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, etc. Those guys were actually amongst the best at their positions. Not really upset that an until-proven-otherwise mediocre QB couldnt' play better after having Brandon Marshall added to the team.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You had me with the first part and then the Cutler hate seeped in.

I totally understand the point of the thread, just don't get why so many people are living in the past when the needle is pointing up for this team.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Just saw this in the closed Cutler trade thread from 2009...

If Pace is healthy, then this is going to be awesome.

If only Pace had been healthy, then perhaps Cutler's prime years wouldn't have been wasted. For shame.
Well, since I wasn't here then I assume you are not implying it's me who said that? I think the Bears signing an all pro hall of fame tackle isn't far fetched to say that was a big deal. It's a complete shame he ended up being awful and an embaressment to himself when he was in his prime.

You have nothing to stand on to what I stated. For shame.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
The real tragedy would be Bears continue to believe in (only) defense win championships and model the team based on 2000 Tampa.
Na, according to Chicagoans this is a blue collar city. We don't need no stinkin offense. We got a mean defense.. lol I'm kiddin-- I just remember hearing that mentality when I was little guy in the mid to late '90s. Man, they sucked then.. I remember looking in the newspaper in 4th grade seeing the Bears record always being 4-12, 6-10.. Ugh, they sucked.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
GYqAzTD.jpg

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
When you say "big deal", do you mean in a literal sense, as in Orlando Pace was close to 400 lbs at that point in his career? That was a grasping at straws signing. One would think that even the Bears would admit that much.
They didn't I remember reading that the Bears considered it a great signing considering the DR's checked him out ,and Pace was all about saying how great of shape he was in.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that was kind of the point though. I am more bothered when great players are held back by Cutler himself, than by Cutler being allegedly held back by poor players.

I'm just withholding judgement on Jay now that he has what seems like a decent line and weapons around him. I'm encouraged so far by his improved completion percentage and his leadership in the comeback wins. Still concerned about the turnovers but I think those are correctable.

But I get what you're saying about the defense. Would have loved to get a title for 54. Still would like to see one for 33 and 55.