NFL throwback helmets discontinued for player safety

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
By Paul Roumeliotis

The NFL has enforced another rule to increase player safety, but this time, it may scratch some foreheads (literally, but not anymore).

The new rule requires players to wear the same helmet for every game this season. According to the NFL, effective immediately, the rule is being installed because the transition to a different helmets can cause a greater risk of an injury.

As a result, teams planning on using throwback uniforms won't be allowed to wear their throwback helmet to match their uniform. Teams will be obligated to use their regular team helmets with an option of additional logos and face masks.

[MORE: Hester back to earning awards]

The Chicago Bears are the only team to have played in a throwback uniform this year in their contest against the Minnesota Vikings last Sunday. However, the Bears may be lucky for next year because their current helmet matches their 1940s throwback uniforms. Other teams, however, won't be so fortunate.

On Sept. 29, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were scheduled to wear their throwback uniforms featuring bright orange, red and white colors. With the new rule intact, the Buccaneers ended up cancelling their plan to wear their famous 'Bucco Bruce' helmets.

From here on out, it all depends on how well the current helmets match with the throwback uniforms which could jeopardize teams to suit up in their throwbacks again.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl...ety?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So they can't just paint the helmet they already have?

iBearsLX

Liked Posts:
Uh... what i read before was that the rule is that you can't have a throwback helmet that is a different color than your normal helmet.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Sounds stupid. I agree, why can' they just paint their current helmets? Don't they constantly repaint them anyway? Not like the color of the helmet has shit to do with safety.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sounds stupid. I agree, why can' they just paint their current helmets? Don't they constantly repaint them anyway? Not like the color of the helmet has shit to do with safety.

I really, really hate your sig. :shifty:

The rule is stupid.

Staleydabear1938

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
that has to be the dumbest thing I ever read. Yeesh, next thing they'll say: Players must use same cup from Rookie season until retirement or trade. Of course that's ridiculous too. Maybe they'll do a Throwback season where we have to see hideous uniforms (except the bears) for 16 weeks. . . oh wait the nfl wants to expand the regular season (thus incurring the chance for more injury rather than less) by 1-2 games. The seeming randomness of these decisions reminds me of the South Park episode with the blender and how corporations decide things.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/222638/bailout

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I opened this expecting it to be an article from the Onion. Seriously, I thought it would be a "they can't wear the leather helmets anymore" type of spin.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you really want to run retro, paint the helmets and move on. If not run your current helmet on the retro jersey like most teams do. Tampa being Tampa.

Alpha

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
So they have to continue using there already beat up helmets that is structurally weaken by the beating they have taken all season?

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
So they have to continue using there already beat up helmets that is structurally weaken by the beating they have taken all season?

Yes.....for safety.

Don't think, it makes sense!

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Helmets are for babies. if we're really goin' "retro" go way back pre-leather...no helmet.....just like Classical Hockey....but with a few more teeth....

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol. It drove me nuts in the message board I saw it in. Thought I would share with others here :p

It's been driving me nuts too, I just haven't said anything :)

ChiTeez.com

Best shirts in Chicago
Liked Posts:
Proving once again the NFL can go to a new all-time low ;) No but in all seriousness this doesn't make a whole lot of sense???

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
For some reason I thought players get new helmet every game. Always look new

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
That's idiotic. They're replicas with current tech. This must be a money grudge match with the manufacturers.