Bears 2014 Mock Draft Database / Draft Discussion

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
If Exum stays healthy, he could be a nice draft pick. He and Tillman(if resigned) would be two corners that are physical and could hold their own in coverage, but he doesn't display the same speed he had before the injury, than he would be a nice safety.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
If Exum stays healthy, he could be a nice draft pick. He and Tillman(if resigned) would be two corners that are physical and could hold their own in coverage, but he doesn't display the same speed he had before the injury, than he would be a nice safety.

The speed thing was a concern for me too, he wasn't fast before the injury either. Other than that I thought he would be an ideal replacement for Tillman in the future. Tillman wasn't a speedster either, and it was talked about moving him to safety too.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
1a. Stephon Tuitt(DT,6'6 312)
1b. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix(FS,6'1 208)
1c. Loucheiz Purifoy(CB 6' 190)
2a. Trent Murphy(DE,6'6 261)
2b. Travis Swanson(OC, 6'4 318)
2c. Colt Lyerla(TE, 6'5 250)

3a. DaQuan Jones(DT 6'3 333)
3b. George Uko(DE, 6'3 275)
3c. Jaylen Watkins(CB 6' 188)

4a. Josue Matias(OG, 6'5 322)
4b. Arthur Lynch(TE 6'5 254)
4c. Boseko Lokombo(OLB, 6'3 230)

5a. Dri Archer(OW, 5'8 178)
5b. Kony Ealy(DE, 6'5 275)
5c. Ty Zimmerman(SS, 6'1 205)

6a. J.C. Copeland(FB/DT, 6' 270)
6b. Michael Dyer(HB, 5'9 215)
6c. Carlos Hyde(HB, 6' 235)
6d. Bryn Renner(QB, 6'2 225)
6e. Casey Pachall(QB, 6'4 230)
6f. Cornelius Lucas(OT, 6'8 328)

7a. Kirby Van Der Kamp(P)
7b. Preston Brown(ILB, 6'2 260)
7c. Jamal Merrell(OLB, 6'4 224)

Love the idea of getting copeland as a lead blocker for forte... we could really use a hard hitting massive athletic fullback lead blocking... he could also play some special teams..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think it's far to early to talk about names because they change dramatically at the end of the year. But, I think it's worth looking at places the bears need to address. And it's a good thing this draft appears to be deep defensively specifically at CB.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Im a big Irish fan and have a keen eye for talent. Stephon tuitt in my eyes has regressed since last year I would be cautious taking him

Liked Posts:
Im a big Irish fan and have a keen eye for talent. Stephon tuitt in my eyes has regressed since last year I would be cautious taking him

Doesn't he have a hernia at the moment though?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would lest our draft needs in the following order.

1. DT - I think Melton's injury throws this position at the top of the list. Even if he returns healthy, his play before the injury was a bit concerning and with all the rotation we do he will play a lot even if we bring back Melton. As for who we pick, a lot depends on whether we stick with more of a one gap scheme or if we switch to a two gap scheme in which case this pick would be for a mammoth NT as opposed to a pass rusher DT.

2. DE - Peppers is likely to be cut to save 12 million in salary cap or is due a heft pay cut. Wooten is a free agent and while I like him he is simple not an elite pass rusher. McClellin has not progressed and might be due to a move to LB depending on what we do with Anderson and DJ Williams. So we need to loot for a DE who can be an elite pass rusher. OLB would replace this if we were to switch to a 3-4.

3. CB - While Tillman and Jennings are both free agents, I think both can be re-signed for a reasonable price due to their age and in Jennings case his lack of size and his being more of a zone corner. Combined with Frey's continued development I think our top 3 CBs are pretty set so would be looking to add a CB who can perhaps grow into the position in a year or so and be a solid back up his rookie year.

4. C/G - A lot will depend on what we do with Slauson and Garza but I expect Slauson to be back and so I would pick the best G/C prospect in the 3rd/4th round as I suspect Slauson could play Center if necessary.

Liked Posts:
I would lest our draft needs in the following order.

1. DT - I think Melton's injury throws this position at the top of the list. Even if he returns healthy, his play before the injury was a bit concerning and with all the rotation we do he will play a lot even if we bring back Melton. As for who we pick, a lot depends on whether we stick with more of a one gap scheme or if we switch to a two gap scheme in which case this pick would be for a mammoth NT as opposed to a pass rusher DT.

2. DE - Peppers is likely to be cut to save 12 million in salary cap or is due a heft pay cut. Wooten is a free agent and while I like him he is simple not an elite pass rusher. McClellin has not progressed and might be due to a move to LB depending on what we do with Anderson and DJ Williams. So we need to loot for a DE who can be an elite pass rusher. OLB would replace this if we were to switch to a 3-4.

3. CB - While Tillman and Jennings are both free agents, I think both can be re-signed for a reasonable price due to their age and in Jennings case his lack of size and his being more of a zone corner. Combined with Frey's continued development I think our top 3 CBs are pretty set so would be looking to add a CB who can perhaps grow into the position in a year or so and be a solid back up his rookie year.

4. C/G - A lot will depend on what we do with Slauson and Garza but I expect Slauson to be back and so I would pick the best G/C prospect in the 3rd/4th round as I suspect Slauson could play Center if necessary.

I thought about going D-Line with the first two picks also but with CB probably being a big need also I almost think they really should take one in the second round. They may be able too get a good one in the third, I've noticed that it is looking as though it very well could be a deep draft at CB & for three down Linebackers. I have to admit I love my D-linemen & I'm almost never mad when a good one is picked.

I also think the Bears should sign Michael Johnson in free agency too.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
I think it's far to early to talk about names because they change dramatically at the end of the year. But, I think it's worth looking at places the bears need to address. And it's a good thing this draft appears to be deep defensively specifically at CB.

This.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one thought the D Line would get to the point where it is. but with Peppers cut, I think you almost need to pay for an F/A DE or reisign Wootton to be a starter with whoever you draft. You may get lucky with an undrafted but lets not get our hopes up. Get the best Impact DT you can find in the mid-late first round, find the new corner piece corner in the first two rounds. I think it's possible to try and work in someone cheap At DE would can help in the run game, or is at least decent at both aspects in the middle of the draft.

1 round DT: (Almost the only option you have is to go this route. Won't have Melton likely unless you over pay, No one else on the roster is worth a starting nod to replace.

2nd round CB: The only way I see another type of player taken is if both Jennings and Tillman comeback. I'd give that about a 35 percent chance for both, but about 90 for one (Tillman likely.) If we do get both, considerations for DE, DT again and possibly QB pending the Cutler situation, and last I'd say HB due to Bush and his lack of play.

Wanted Center, but unlikely

3rd round DE: as most expect a Pepper cut, I would more expect him to stay, not sure why, but if they offer a pay cut to about 6 or 7 mil, he may take it if his play remains as it is. He still gets more then he might in F/A and he gets to prove he has something left in the tank. As a Panther, he was known to take seasons off in the past, next year could be the rebound year, and the last good one in him? Possible nods to S, a second DT and Center

Wanted DE

4th round: TE: Many teams are going with the two TE sets, but we only have on guy to go with. This may or may not be the last round you can find a guy to play for you now at this spot. Bennett was worth every penny, but we need someone young to go along and be able to play 2nd TE and make some plays for Cutler or whoever is here. Nods also to HB, second DT, QB and C

Wanted: TE

5th round C: We know we don't expect Garza to be back, but I sort of see him playing another season or two as a Bear. He has shown me he can be better, with better players and another year with the same guys, Long with more experience, Garza not only can still do it okay, but he can give the young Guard more gudience on how to do it. He has only been doing it his whole career before becoming a center in the bad news LT era. Though the part of me that thinks he won't be back, expects a Center to be draft here and play better then expect, like a Mills did in round 5. Nods to HB, second DT, and Safety

Wanted: Second DT

Predicting a 4th round swap with a team to take a second 6th round pick

6th 1 HB: You find a guy who can play maybe a bit like a Forte who can catch balls out of the backfield, a little smaller, and a little better able to break tackles or at least juke some players. I like the idea of a guy would could be able a 5'11 200 guy who has a bit of speed to him and cought balls for his team, not sure if there is a guy like that in round six, but steals have happened before yes? Nod to QB, second DT, S OL (any spot) and WR (To take Hester's spot)

Wanted: HB (of this likeness)

6th 2: QB: We all know we need a young guy to play behind Cutler, There is no mistake about it. The D Line and Defensive struggles show us though how much this need is unfortunately, can't come about. Unless Cutler is not signed back to this team, it is likely we will take it late. Though to be honest, with how the Defense has struggled, I'd almost want to just look to the QB's not taken in the draft. Unless this guy becomes like Brady, there is more that is needed on Defense. Nods to Second DE, WR (Hester replace), S, LB, OL, and 3rd DT (That's how much I feel we need a DT)

Wanted: WR

7th round S: No, no draft pick will replace Hester. I fell that spot may be taken by a cheap vet, or even possibly just keep Weems in and work him as the return man for ST. There is also a part of me Hester will return on the cheap, only if Lovie doesn't find a job elsewhere in the NFL. So a Safety to replace what could be a possible better talent then Stleltz. He has had a nice run, but I'd rather have someone who I could feel better about, and I think Emery would draft. Chance this guy hits the P squad though in season 1

Wanted: Best talent anywhere (LB or secondary area preference)

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
Here's a big board of prospects imo that might/will be there when we pick(some if not most will leave early). Some might be good gems/udfas

QBs
Jimmy Garoppolo(Eastern ILL) 6'2 222 Bryn Renner(NC) 6'2 225
Casey Pachall(TCU) 6'4 230 Blake Bortles(UCF) 6'3 227
Keith Price(Wash) 6'1 202 Logan Thomas(VT) 6'5 254
Tom Savage(PITT) 6'4 230 Aaron Murray(UGA) 6'1 208

RBs
LaDarius Perkins(Miss St.) 5'9 195 James White(Wis) 5'10 195
Carlos Hyde(OHS) 6' 235 Antonio Andrews(WKU) 5'11 212
Trey Watts(Tulsa) 5'10 195 Orleans Darkwa(Tulane) 5'11 210
A.J. Blue(NC) 6'1 215 Michael Dyer(Loui) 5'9 215
Tre Mason(AUB) 5'9 205

FBs
Trey Millard(OU) 6'2 253 Jay Prosch(AUB) 6' 258
J.C. Copeland(LSU) 6' 270 Ryan Hewitt(STAN) 6'4 246
Maurice Hagens(Miami) 5'11 250 B.J. Butler(Loui) 6'2 274
Michael LaGrone(Idaho) 6'2 273 Trayion Durham(Kent St.) 6' 248
Niko Palazeti(Michigan St.) 6'1 252

TEs
Chris Coyle(ASU) 6'2 240 C.J. Fiedorowicz(Iowa) 6'6 265
Marcel Jensen(Fresno St.) 6'5 258 Jacob Pedersen(Wis) 6'4 240
Colt Lyerla 6'5 250 Jace Amaro(Texas Tech) 6'5 257
Xavier Grimble(USC) 6'5 250 Nehemiah Hicks(TAM) 6'4 255
Nick O''Leary(FSU) 6'3 248 Clay Burton(Florida) 6'4 257

WRs
Robert Herron(WYO) 5'9 187 Josh Huff(Oreg) 5'11 202
Tevin Reese(Baylor) 5'10 170 Dri Archer(Kent St.) 5'8 178
Jeremy Gallon(Michigan) 5'8 184 TJ Jones(ND) 6' 195
Philly Brown(OSU) 5'11 190 Trey Burton(Florida) 6'2 225
Tyler Lockett(Kansas St.) 5'11 176 Phillip Dorsett(Miami) 5'9 185
Bruce Ellington(SCar) 5'9 196 Justin Hardy(ECU) 5'11 186
Jamison Crowder(Duke) 5'9 175

OCs
Travis Swanson(ARK) 6'4 318 Gabe Ikard(OU) 6'3 298
Hroniss Grasu(Oreg) 6'3 298 Russell Bodine(NC) 6'3 310
Dallas Lewallen(Wis) 6'5 322

OTs
Austin Wentworth(Fresno St.) 6'5 304 JaWuan James(Tenn) 6'6 318
Jeremiah Sirles(NEB) 6'5 310 Cornelius Lucas(Kansas St.) 6'8 328
Kenarious Gates(UGA) 6'5 327

OGs
Brandon Thomas(Clem) 6'3 315 Jon Halapio(Florida) 6'3 320
Ryan Groy(Wis) 6'5 320 Chris Watt(ND) 6'3 321
Mason Walters(Texas) 6'5 320 Zach Fulton(Tenn) 6'5 323

DEs/DTs
Stephon Tuitt(ND) 6'6 312 Josh Mauro(Stan) 6'6 282
George Uko(USC) 6'3 275 Trent Murphy(Stan) 6'6 261
Kony Ealy(Mizz) 6'5 275 Chaz Sutton(SCar) 6'4 263
Ed Stinson(Bama) 6'3 292 Corey Crawford(Clem) 6'4 270
Kareem Martin(NC) 6'5 265 Taylor Hart(Oreg) 6'6 287
Jackson Jeffcoat(Texas) 6'4 252 James Gayle(VT) 6'4 255
Ra''Shede Hageman(Minn) 6'6 311 Will Sutton(ASU) 6' 305
Daniel McCullers(Tenn) 6'6 351 DaQuan Jones(Penn St.) 6'3 333
Deandre Coleman(CAL) 6'5 315 Beau Allen(Wis) 6'3 325
Justin Ellis(L.A. Tech) 6'2 334 Anthony Johnson(LSU) 6'2 295
Timmy Jernigan(FSU) 6'2 298 Calvin Barnett(OK St.) 6'2 300

LBs
Max Bullough(Michigan St.) 6'3 245 Greg Blair(Cincy) 6'1 252
Glenn Carson(Penn) 6'3 235 DeDe Lattimore(USF) 6' 236
James Morris(Iowa) 6'1 240 Preston Brown(Loui) 6'2 260
Dan Fox(ND) 6'3 245 Steele Divitto(BC) 6'2 237
Boseko Lokombo(Oreg) 6'3 230 Telvin Smith(FSU) 6'2 218(Safety?)
Jonathan Brown(ILL) 6'1 230 Kevin Pierre-Louis(BC) 6'1 225(Safety?)
Jamal Merrell(Rutgers) 6'4 224 Xavius Boyd(WKU) 6'1 241
Tahj Jones(LSU) 6'2 208(Safety?)

CBs
Jason Verrett(TCU) 5'10 178 Antone Exum(VT) 6' 220
Aaron Colvin(OU) 6' 182 Justin Gilbert(OK St.) 6' 200
Kyle Fuller(VT) 6' 194 Jaylen Watkins(Florida) 6' 188
E.J. Gaines(Mizz) 5'10 195 Deion Belue(Bama) 5'11 183
Carrington Byndom(Texas) 6' 182 Ifo Ekpre-Olomu(Oreg) 5'10 185
Bradley Roby(OSU) 5'11 192 Loucheiz Purifoy(Florida) 6' 190
Wayne Lyons(Stan) 6'1 196 Terrance Mitchell(Oreg) 6'0
Damian Swann(UGA) 5'11 178 Quandre Diggs(Texas) 5'10 200
Deshazor Everett(TAM) 6' 185 Lamarcus Joyner(FSU) 5'8 190

FSs/SSs
Tre Boston(NC) 6' 205 Terrence Brooks(FSU) 5'11 200
Nickoe Whitley(Miss St.) 6' 205 Deone Bucannon(Wash St.) 6'1 215
Ahmad Dixon(Baylor) 6' 205 Ty Zimmerman(Kansas St.) 6'1 205
Hakeem Smith(Loui) 6'1 180 Sean Parker(Wash) 5'10 195
Adrian Phillips(Texas) 5'11 201 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix(Bama) 6'1 208
Dion Bailey(USC) 6' 200 Ed Reynolds(Stan) 6'2 206
Cody Prewitt(Ole Miss) 6'2 220 Corey Moore(UGA) 6'2 214
Vinnie Sunseri(Bama) 6' 210 Ashely Lowery(UK) 6' 212

nitelife

Liked Posts:

No one expects them to be there come April, it will evolve, but placing names gives everyone an idea of what type of player they are looking at for each position.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Draft Countdown has released it's first mock, and has the Bears selecting:

Jason Verrett - CB - TCU -- with the 24th pick.

CBS Sports currently has him as the 25th best prospect.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
We should draft that Clowney guy. I hear he's decent.

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
Via: Walter Football

1.[23] Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
LSU_logo.gif

Henry Melton, an impending free agent, tore his ACL recently. This could make it easier for the Bears to keep him, but they'll need a replacement if he walks.

2.[55] Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas
Texas_logo.gif

The Bears will have to address their two cornerback positions next offseason, as Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings both have expiring contracts.

3. [87] Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Georgia_logo.gif

The Bears will almost certainly re-sign Jay Cutler, but it wouldn't hurt for them to grab a potential successor in this loaded draft class.

also check out the top 100 senior's list...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264121/article/hot-100-seniors-anthony-barr-of-ucla-rises-to-top-of-list

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

LSU_logo.gif

Henry Melton, an impending free agent, tore his ACL recently. This could make it easier for the Bears to keep him, but they'll need a replacement if he walks.

Texas_logo.gif

The Bears will have to address their two cornerback positions next offseason, as Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings both have expiring contracts.

Georgia_logo.gif

The Bears will almost certainly re-sign Jay Cutler, but it wouldn't hurt for them to grab a potential successor in this loaded draft class.

also check out the top 100 senior's list...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ors-anthony-barr-of-ucla-rises-to-top-of-list

I'd sign up for this draft right now.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

LSU_logo.gif

Texas_logo.gif

Georgia_logo.gif

also check out the top 100 senior's list...http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264121/article/hot-100-seniors-anthony-barr-of-ucla-rises-to-top-of-list

Dude... really.. Aaron Murray is the best QB in this draft... I don't give a fuck what anyone says anymore... all these running QBs are 1 year wonders in the NFL... and now that the NFL has figured them out they are average at best...

Aaron Murray has a bunch of injured receivers on his team... he has been throwing to a ton of backups... he is the best QB at reading a defense and probably has the most accurate arm of all the players in the draft... Mind blowing to think he will fall to the 3rd...

If he doesn't go in the first round every NFL scout should throw a giant suicide party...

with that said i would love to have him as Jays backup and perhaps someday as Jays replacement...