My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Draft Countdown has released it's first mock, and has the Bears selecting:

Jason Verrett - CB - TCU -- with the 24th pick.

CBS Sports currently has him as the 25th best prospect.

Verrett reminds me of Jennings. He's not the biggest guy but he is a ball hawk. TCU's pass rush has been mediocre at best so he's used to having to cover his man for longer intervals. I'm heading down to TCU to attend consecutive games (perfectly planned for the Bears' bye). I will watch him closely against Texas and West Virginia.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Emery will attack our Dline problem just like he has done with the WR & Oline problem we've had before. Not only does he solve our problem in FA but he attacks it in the draft as well.

FA: Marshall
Draft: Jeffery

FA: Bushrod & Slauson
Draft: Long & Mills

Both of those were Huge problems..

Can't fix everything in one offseason though, so there will be holes somewhere..

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Emery will attack our Dline problem just like he has done with the WR & Oline problem we've had before. Not only does he solve our problem in FA but he attacks it in the draft as well.

FA: Marshall
Draft: Jeffery

FA: Bushrod & Slauson
Draft: Long & Mills

Both of those were Huge problems..

Can't fix everything in one offseason though, so there will be holes somewhere..

To me, personally, and I talked to a bud about this the other day...this is the best part of Emery I've seen. He literally came in, said "Wow, your WR's have sucked here forever," went out and got us Marshall and Jeffery. Like it was nothing. meh, no problem. The next offseason - he says "Huh, this OL may have been worse than the WRs..." and we have 4 new starters, 2 rookies, and they're playing better right now than the line last year played late in the season.

So, regardless what Emery deems has "priority" after this season (Be it DL, DB, or LB)...he'll fix it. I have no doubt about it.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Looked at Daniel McCullers from Tennessee...

6'8'' 350lbs Nose tackle...

+ large
+ has a solid bull rush
+ beats double teams with his strength and collapses the pocket
+ holds the line and doesn't get moved out of his gap
+ gets his hands up and is hard to throw at or around... forces the ball up in the air... more time in the air = better opportunities for DBs
+ RAW = upside... tons of upside...
+ Good speed for a man 6'8'' 350lbs

- RAW = Has a lot to learn
- 1 move on the D - line
- Is not an every down player yet
- gets really tall either because he gets stood up or because its a bad habit...

What makes me so interested in this player is his size... you cannot train someone to be large or play large... He takes up a ton of space and has a huge wingspan ...throwing in his direction and running his direction become very difficult for opposing teams because of his ability to get where he wants to be and stay there... Once in position against the pass he pretty much forces the QB to throw the ball away or throw a different direction... Against the run he pretty much establishes himself in the desired position and re-routes the runner to either run into the pile, make a cut, or stretch the play outside... When he closes in on QBs you will notice how much of a hurry they are to get rid of the ball... probably because no QB no matter how large wants a 350lbs man landing on them...

This is what Ted Washington did such a great job of doing... but wasn't the greatest pass rusher... This would allow Paea to play the 3 technique and for our other D-lineman to draw single blocks instead of double teams...

If he falls to the 3rd round I would hope we move up and take him... perhaps trading back in the second to pick up the extra early 3rd...

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
To me, personally, and I talked to a bud about this the other day...this is the best part of Emery I've seen. He literally came in, said "Wow, your WR's have sucked here forever," went out and got us Marshall and Jeffery. Like it was nothing. meh, no problem. The next offseason - he says "Huh, this OL may have been worse than the WRs..." and we have 4 new starters, 2 rookies, and they're playing better right now than the line last year played late in the season.

So, regardless what Emery deems has "priority" after this season (Be it DL, DB, or LB)...he'll fix it. I have no doubt about it.

I would think that with how much a good, or even decent, pass rush can help the rest of the defense that we will see a massive overhaul of the DL.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So -- given the results from today's game...What do you all think about These guys that could be available in the 2nd round of the draft:

Zach%20Mettenberger%202.jpg

Zach Mettenberger - QB - LSU - Redshirt Sr - 6'5, 235 lbs

Or...

Aaron+Murray+Georgia+v+South+Carolina+oKReq9B-ekYl.jpg

Aaron Murray - QB - Georgia - Redshirt Sr - 6'1, 208 lbs

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
Here are some other mocks i've seen

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?835430-2014-NFL-Draft-2013-CFB-Season-Thread/page39

Rd 1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma St- After 2011, Gilbert was arguably the top CB in all of CFB; in 2012 Gilbert was abused. Now, Gilbert is back to playing lights out and he has three tough tests the next three weeks that could cement his stock.

Rd 2. DT Ego Ferguson, LSU- Ferguson isn't putting up the stats that teammate Anthony Johnson has, but Ferguson plays the 1T primarily. He is another in the long line of ultra-athletic LSU Dlinemen.

Rd 3. CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan St- Double dipping at CB in the wake of the Charles Tillman injury. Dennard has been the best CB in the Big Ten to date IMO.

Rd 4. DE Michael Sam, Missouri- This one might be wishful thinking but I think Sam will fall a little bit as he isn't terribly athletic.

Rd 5. QB Bryn Renner, UNC- Renner's injury and disappointing play prior pushes him down the draft board.

Rd 6. WR Tevin Reese, Baylor- Another diminutive speed WR.

Rd 6. TE Colt Lyerla, Oregon- We all know the story here.

Free Agency-

Resign Jay Cutler (4 yrs 60 mil)
Resign Josh McCown to a vet min (580k or so)
Resign Matt Slauson (3 yrs 10 mil)
Resign James Anderson (2 yrs 4 mil)
Resign Eben Britton (vet min)
Resign Nate Collins (1 yr 1.5 mil)
Resign Blake Costanzo (2 yrs 2 mil)
Resign Robbie Gould (3 yrs 8 mil)
Resign Jay Ratliff (2 yrs 5 mil)
Resign Craig Steltz (1 yr 800k)
Resign Corey Wootton (4 yrs 20 mil)
Resign Zackery Bowman (vet min)

Sign Brian De La Puente (4 yrs 15 mil)
Sign Michael Bennett (4yrs 32 mil)
Sign Alterraun Verner (4yrs 35 mil)
Then we will sign some leftovers but I am not going that in depth.

Cut Michael Bush
Cut Julius Peppers

Draft-

1st- Timmy Jernigan DT FSU
2nd- Bradley Roby CB OSU
3rd- Blake Bortles QB UCF
4th- Ty Zimmerman SS KSU
5th- Jacob Pedersen TE/FB Wisconsin
6th- Dri Archer WR/RB/KR Kent State
7th- Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford

Roster-

QB- Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, Blake Bortles
RB- Matt Forte, Tyler Gaffney
FB- Jacob Pederson
WR- Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Earl Bennett, Marquees Wilson, Dri Archer
TE- Martellus Bennett, Jacob Pedersen, Fendi Onobun
LT- Jermon Bushrod, Eben Britton
LG- Matt Slauson, James Brown
C- Brian De La Puente
RG- Kyle Long, James Brown
RT- Jordan Mills, Eben Britton

DE- Corey Wootton, Shea McClellin
NT- Stephen Paea, Nate Collins
DT- Jay Ratliff, Timmy Jernigan
DE- Michael Bennett, David Bass
SLB- James Anderson, Khaseem Greene
MLB- Jon Bostic, Blake Costanzo
WLB- Lance Briggs, Khaseem Greene
CB- Alterraun Verner, Isaiah Frey
FS- Chris Conte, Anthony Walters
SS- Ty Zimmerman, Craig Steltz
CB- Bradley Roby, Zackery Bowman

K- Robbie Gould
P- Adam Podlesh
KR/PR- Dri Archer, Eric Weems

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014_1.php

19. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
Minnesota_logo.gif

Henry Melton, an impending free agent, tore his ACL earlier in the season. This could make it easier for the Bears to keep him, but they'll need a replacement if he walks. Ra'Shede Hageman, who has been a monster this year, would be a worthy substitute.

50. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
MichiganState_logo.gif

The Bears will have to address their two cornerback positions next offseason, as Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings both have expiring contracts.

84. David Fales, QB, San Jose State
SanJoseState_logo.gif

I find it completely insane that the Bears could let Jay Cutler walk. If that happens, they'll obviously be searching for a quarterback in the spring.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1841655-2014-nfl-mock-draft-post-week-10-breakdown
17. Chicago Bears: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

The Brian Urlacher era is over, and it has been an up-and-down affair at best since his departure.

Jon Bostic has the makings of a future star in the middle, but the 'backers around him are beginning to age and are oftentimes ineffective.

Ryan Shazier is not only the perfect fit next to Bostic, he's an immediate difference-maker who will give fans flashbacks to the golden linebacker era in Chicago rather quickly.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981963783

#20 - Chicago Bears - Timmy Jernigan - DT - Florida State

An all-around ideal pick for the Chicago Bears. They badly need to upgrade their defensive line which has suffered through injuries all of 2013. Defensive tackle has caught the worst of it, which is why they have struggled to stop the run. Timmy Jernigan is best known for his ability to blow up running plays at Florida State. Coupled with exceptional quickness and a non-stop motor, he has the dimensions to become a dynamite interior pass rusher as well once he gets better control of his hands and his speed. If the Bears are able to keep Henry Melton they could have one of the deeper defensive tackle rotations in the league.

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

21. Darqueze Dennard(5'11, 188), CB, Michigan State
The Michigan St. defense has reached mythical heights this season, ranking in the top three in the nation in both yards and points allowed. As good as the MSU front 7 has been, it has been the press-man cover skills of Dennard that have given them time to disrupt opponents' backfields. At 5'11, 197 with a 4.4-4.5 40 time, Dennard is blessed with above-average speed and size for his position - and he utilizes them equally well. He excels in taking away quick throws, which makes him a perfect fit for the Bears in a conference that features notorious quick-hitter Aaron Rodgers. Dennard would be an ideal nickel back in year 1, with an eye towards replacing the aging Tillman soon thereafter.

53. Derek Carr(6'3, 212), QB, Fresno State
The Bears may or may not choose to sign Jay Cutler to a new long-term contract. Cutler has given the franchise stability at the QB position, something that Bears fans know to be rare and fleeting in the history of the team. I personally would like to see Cutler inked to a new long-term contract, but sometimes the powers that be do not follow my advice. This mock assumes that the Bears will looks for a QB in the rich 2014 class. Derek Carr doesn't get the coverage of Bridgewater, Mariota or Johnny F, but he's got the resume and the pedigree (brother David played in the NFL). Current career stat line: 10821 yards, 91 TDs vs just 20 picks.

Liked Posts:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?835430-2014-NFL-Draft-2013-CFB-Season-Thread/page39

Rd 1. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma St- After 2011, Gilbert was arguably the top CB in all of CFB; in 2012 Gilbert was abused. Now, Gilbert is back to playing lights out and he has three tough tests the next three weeks that could cement his stock.

Rd 2. DT Ego Ferguson, LSU- Ferguson isn't putting up the stats that teammate Anthony Johnson has, but Ferguson plays the 1T primarily. He is another in the long line of ultra-athletic LSU Dlinemen.

Rd 3. CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan St- Double dipping at CB in the wake of the Charles Tillman injury. Dennard has been the best CB in the Big Ten to date IMO.

Rd 4. DE Michael Sam, Missouri- This one might be wishful thinking but I think Sam will fall a little bit as he isn't terribly athletic.

Rd 5. QB Bryn Renner, UNC- Renner's injury and disappointing play prior pushes him down the draft board.

Free Agency-

Cut Michael Bush
Cut Julius Peppers

Draft-

2nd- Bradley Roby CB OSU
4th- Ty Zimmerman SS KSU

Roster-

FB- Jacob Pederson
C- Brian De La Puente

K- Robbie Gould
P- Adam Podlesh

Minnesota_logo.gif

Henry Melton, an impending free agent, tore his ACL earlier in the season. This could make it easier for the Bears to keep him, but they'll need a replacement if he walks. Ra'Shede Hageman, who has been a monster this year, would be a worthy substitute.

MichiganState_logo.gif

The Bears will have to address their two cornerback positions next offseason, as Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings both have expiring contracts.

SanJoseState_logo.gif

I find it completely insane that the Bears could let Jay Cutler walk. If that happens, they'll obviously be searching for a quarterback in the spring.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1841655-2014-nfl-mock-draft-post-week-10-breakdown

The Brian Urlacher era is over, and it has been an up-and-down affair at best since his departure.

Jon Bostic has the makings of a future star in the middle, but the 'backers around him are beginning to age and are oftentimes ineffective.

Ryan Shazier is not only the perfect fit next to Bostic, he's an immediate difference-maker who will give fans flashbacks to the golden linebacker era in Chicago rather quickly.

An all-around ideal pick for the Chicago Bears. They badly need to upgrade their defensive line which has suffered through injuries all of 2013. Defensive tackle has caught the worst of it, which is why they have struggled to stop the run. Timmy Jernigan is best known for his ability to blow up running plays at Florida State. Coupled with exceptional quickness and a non-stop motor, he has the dimensions to become a dynamite interior pass rusher as well once he gets better control of his hands and his speed. If the Bears are able to keep Henry Melton they could have one of the deeper defensive tackle rotations in the league.

The Michigan St. defense has reached mythical heights this season, ranking in the top three in the nation in both yards and points allowed. As good as the MSU front 7 has been, it has been the press-man cover skills of Dennard that have given them time to disrupt opponents' backfields. At 5'11, 197 with a 4.4-4.5 40 time, Dennard is blessed with above-average speed and size for his position - and he utilizes them equally well. He excels in taking away quick throws, which makes him a perfect fit for the Bears in a conference that features notorious quick-hitter Aaron Rodgers. Dennard would be an ideal nickel back in year 1, with an eye towards replacing the aging Tillman soon thereafter.

The Bears may or may not choose to sign Jay Cutler to a new long-term contract. Cutler has given the franchise stability at the QB position, something that Bears fans know to be rare and fleeting in the history of the team. I personally would like to see Cutler inked to a new long-term contract, but sometimes the powers that be do not follow my advice. This mock assumes that the Bears will looks for a QB in the rich 2014 class. Derek Carr doesn't get the coverage of Bridgewater, Mariota or Johnny F, but he's got the resume and the pedigree (brother David played in the NFL). Current career stat line: 10821 yards, 91 TDs vs just 20 picks.

I'll take the bottom spoiler #3 in a hear beat.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:

Free Agency-

Cut Michael Bush
Cut Julius Peppers

Draft-

2nd- Bradley Roby CB OSU
4th- Ty Zimmerman SS KSU

Roster-

FB- Jacob Pederson
C- Brian De La Puente

K- Robbie Gould
P- Adam Podlesh

Minnesota_logo.gif

MichiganState_logo.gif

SanJoseState_logo.gif

Roby in spoiler 2 would be huge for us, the guy is a baller

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Time for a bump -- gonna get this baby movin'.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Several mocks added!

Aqbased

Liked Posts:
Genuinely worried to see Mosley anywhere else in the NFCN besides a Bears uniform

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Best thread of the year, love this thing. Good job X

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
DraftSite.Com (Dec 30)
1st Round - 14th Pick: Sammy Watkins - WR - Clemson
2nd Round - 51st Pick: LaMarcus Joyner - S - Florida State
3rd Round - 82nd Pick: Aaron Colvin - CB - Oklahoma

when I see mocks like this, I wonder if some of these guys even watch football? of all the positions we need to fill, WR is definitely not one of them, especially in the 1st round.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
DraftSite.Com (Dec 30)
1st Round - 14th Pick: Sammy Watkins - WR - Clemson
2nd Round - 51st Pick: LaMarcus Joyner - S - Florida State
3rd Round - 82nd Pick: Aaron Colvin - CB - Oklahoma

when I see mocks like this, I wonder if some of these guys even watch football? of all the positions we need to fill, WR is definitely not one of them, especially in the 1st round.

as I was, I clicked on the link to their site and they have us taking Stephon Tuitt* DE Notre Dame 6' 6" 303 in the first, Skov in the 2nd and Dion Bailey, S USC in the 3rd. I'm game for that

Last edited:

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can any ND fans give me a heads up about Tuitt? I know nothing about the guy and stats can only say so much. Is he that much better than Murphy from Stanford?

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
as I was, I clicked on the link to their site and they have us taking Stephon Tuitt* DE Notre Dame 6' 6" 303 in the first, Skov in the 2nd and Dion Bailey, S USC in the 3rd. I'm game for that

I could live with that. And as for Tuitt, he played a little bit over weight this year which hurt his production I think he played at over 320 when he should be 290-300. If he were to be drafted by the bears his playing weight would have to be around 285-290. But has enough strength and athleticism to be a DE and kick inside on passing downs.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

This is a site I've never used before -- and they apparently update constantly. I've updated the OP. Thx for the heads up.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Another name to keep an eye on is Kony Early he the size, strength and speed to develop into an elite DE.