Few thoughts about the defense

Rodneyr38

Liked Posts:
It seems to me the Bears very rarely have our corners play under man to man, not sure why but look at the way Indys cornerbacks played last night, they play alot of man to man under coverage and it works i think it limits the routes the wr's can run.

Another thing why is Washington not getting any playing time? Not like Peppers and McClelling is doing anything.

Last year i thought we finally got our safety position solidified but all of a sudden they look very bad. Conte for some reason when playing man to man he is looking at the qb which causes him to lose his man.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It seems to me the Bears very rarely have our corners play under man to man, not sure why but look at the way Indys cornerbacks played last night, they play alot of man to man under coverage and it works i think it limits the routes the wr's can run.

Another thing why is Washington not getting any playing time? Not like Peppers and McClelling is doing anything.

Last year i thought we finally got our safety position solidified but all of a sudden they look very bad. Conte for some reason when playing man to man he is looking at the qb which causes him to lose his man.
Peppers played better, but yes, Shea continues to be a non-factor. I'd like to see Washington and Minter active and in rotation (if we can afford to have 8 DL active, and I think we can) -- keeping the DL fresh would help, and bring more competition and accountability..

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You guys are missing a lot of pieces right now and ultimately the last line of defense (safety) is typically caught reacting to everything that's going wrong in front of them.

It's real tough to accurately place blame. If you go back to the defense you envisioned at the start of the season it's probably pretty different than the one you see today. The LB core, which is traditionally a strength, is entirely gutted and young, DTs are unknown, corner depth is being tested and the pass rush is average at best.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah after last year I thought our safety position would be solid. Not looking as well any more.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
all conte had to do last year was stay deep and make sure no one got past him. with the front 7 playing at such a high level, along with tillman and jennings, our safeties didn't have to do much. there were still signs of their mediocrity, but it was difficult for offenses to exploit.

this year we're basically witnessing the end of the 2000's/lovie smith defense...the injuries to briggs and tillman are what happens to players at their age. peppers has hit the wall. add in the freak acls to melton and collins and none of the young defensive lineman taking the next step, and you have the bears current defense...

emery has his work cut out for him. he's going to need to completely revamp the bears defense in one off-season. at least he'll get an extended look and bostic and greene.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
We're not far away from being a good defense. All we need is two new starting DT's, two new starting DL's, three new starting LB's, two new starting CB's, and two new starting Safeties.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
We're not far away from being a good defense. All we need is two new starting DT's, two new starting DL's, three new starting LB's, two new starting CB's, and two new starting Safeties.

Not quite there yet: add a new DC plus quality reserves for depth. There, that should do it.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Actaully does anyone think that one TD against him was Offensive PI? It looked like the WR ran right into his area, knocked him off the spot and was wide open for the catch.

Maybe I'm wrong just becasue I hate the Redskins, but it seemed like a bad no-call.

Also, I love how RG3 drops to the groud in this big show because he was rewarded for throwing into double coverage.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I think D. Bass C. Washington and Z. Minter should get playing time... They are the only players that have a possible future either as back ups or starters...

What better time or way to evaluate the young talent than against NFL starters... They can at least give the GM a good picture of what he has to work with moving forward...

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Peppers still hurt or are teams just so concentrated on him and daring other people to hurt them that's is severely limited his production?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Is Peppers still hurt or are teams just so concentrated on him and daring other people to hurt them that's is severely limited his production?
Teams were concentrating more on Peppers when Melton went down. Teams have found out they don't need to double Peppers. But they'll start doubling Wootton. I haven't heard Peppers was hurt, but teams can certainly be tight-lipped about injuries.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Teams were concentrating more on Peppers when Melton went down. Teams have found out they don't need to double Peppers. But they'll start doubling Wootton. I haven't heard Peppers was hurt, but teams can certainly be tight-lipped about injuries.

i'm sure he's not 100%, but i don't think you have to look any farther then his age to know why he's not the same player. he's almost 34, he's hit the wall, and when players at his age hit that wall, they fall fast...