Hypothetically

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Let's say the Bears decide they are done with Cutler. They do the obvious thing, they franchise him and trade him for draft picks. What do you think the Bears would receive in return?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depends how desperate other teams are.

Pros - Experienced top 15 starter, rocket arm, can make every throw when he's on his day.

Cons - Isn't on his day a lot, inconsistent accuracy, turns the ball over too much, multiple concussions and other injuries.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
what are the "Trade for franchised player" rules under the new CBA anyway?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
To me, I think we could at least get a first rounder. I think we could actually get a first and a third. Alex Smith, who was benched for Kaepernick, and had an extremely low stock - only ever thought of as a game manager, was traded for a 2nd rounder. Jay can make all the throws, and can win games with his arm. He has a winning record despite the lack of talent around him for a large portion of his career. He is injury prone though. So, I think a 1st and a 3rd are reasonable.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
what are the "Trade for franchised player" rules under the new CBA anyway?

I believe a team cannot tag someone with the intention of trading them, but there's ways around that...like "oh, you just happen to be calling in regards to trading for the player I just tagged?"

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I believe a team cannot tag someone with the intention of trading them, but there's ways around that...like "oh, you just happen to be calling in regards to trading for the player I just tagged?"

The Patriots did it with Cassel. Why wouldn't you be able to do that?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Let's say the Bears decide they are done with Cutler. They do the obvious thing, they franchise him and trade him for draft picks. What do you think the Bears would receive in return?
The thing with the Franchise trade is: it's only for one year. Has a Franchised player ever been traded? If you would, google that, and let us know if it happened, if so, who got traded for what?

What's the draft value of Cutler for one year? I have no idea.

I'm a little baffled why people talk about showing Cutler the door when I see no better alternative yet. Cutler's been playing Trestman's offense great. Why would Bears be thinking of dropping him next year? We have no developed rookie waiting in the wings. It's not every day you can sign a Peyton Manning. I don't see a good overall argument/situation for not re-signing Cutler next year.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I just remember hearing something last year about teams not being allowed to tag a player with the intention of trading them.

After reading various articles on the subject, you CAN still trade a player that has been franchised.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
The thing with the Franchise trade is: it's only for one year. Has a Franchised player ever been traded? If you would, google that, and let us know if it happened, if so, who got traded for what?

I'm a little baffled why people talk about showing Cutler the door when I see no better alternative yet. Cutler's been playing Trestman's offense great. Why would Bears be thinking of dropping him next year? We have no developed rookie waiting in the wings. It's not every day you can sign a Peyton Manning. I don't see a good overall argument/situation for not re-signing Cutler next year.

As was stated in this thread, Matt Cassle was franchised and traded to the Chiefs for the 34th pick in the NFL draft. And this thread isn't about whether we should trade him, it is what such a trade would net.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
As was stated in this thread, Matt Cassle was franchised and traded to the Chiefs for the 34th pick in the NFL draft. And this thread isn't about whether we should trade him, it is what such a trade would net.
Thanks, Bearin! So Cassel was worth a high 2nd round. Was that the only time in "Franchise History"? Based on Cassel, though notably a small sample size, one would have to assume Cutler would be worth a high 1st round pick to some team.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Thanks, Bearin! So Cassel was worth a high 2nd round. Was that the only time in "Franchise History"? Based on Cassel, though notably a small sample size, one would have to assume Cutler would be worth a high 1st round pick to some team.

I googled to see if it's happened before. I'm having trouble finding anything on the subject, outside of the rules themselves. I can see that if you franchise a player he has to sign the franchise tag before being traded. I'm sure, if Jay say the writing on the wall, he'd do that and get on with it. The reason for that is because any team can still sign a franchise tagged player, prior to them signing their offer sheet. If that were to happen, the Bears would receive up to two first round picks.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Bears fans are often completely clueless about how to build a team because for a very long time the Bears have been completely clueless, especially at the QB position.

I think it was after the CBA that I was looking at this and I'm not sure how much "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" is going on but I think the player is involved in such a trade to make sure it isn't a one year thing.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are often completely clueless about how to build a team because for a very long time the Bears have been completely clueless, especially at the QB position.

I think it was after the CBA that I was looking at this and I'm not sure how much "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" is going on but I think the player is involved in such a trade to make sure it isn't a one year thing.

Yeah, obviously Jay would have to be involved in such a trade. The Bears would need to work out a deal with said team, and in the process they'd probably need to figure out a ball park of what kind of deal the other team would be looking to sign Jay to. Then they'd need to relay that to him to entice him to sign the contract prior to the NFL draft. Otherwise, it would be a trade for picks in the following years draft. Jay would likely have missed voluntary OTA's at that point too. It just wouldn't be best for anybody.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cutler was franchised wouldn't that be at a really high price, like above market value?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
If Cutler was franchised wouldn't that be at a really high price, like above market value?

Yes, it would be a 1 year deal at the top 5 qb's percentage of cap taken up's value. I.e. if Peyton takes up 10% of the Broncos cap and is a top 5 paid player, that percentage would be averaged with the remaining top 5 players. From there, you'd take the average percentage and apply it to Jay Cutler on the Bears. With that said, much like the Cassel deal, the other team would likely resign him to a more reasonable long term contract once traded.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, it would be a 1 year deal at the top 5 qb's percentage of cap taken up's value. I.e. if Peyton takes up 10% of the Broncos cap and is a top 5 paid player, that percentage would be averaged with the remaining top 5 players. From there, you'd take the average percentage and apply it to Jay Cutler on the Bears. With that said, much like the Cassel deal, the other team would likely resign him to a more reasonable long term contract once traded.

Gotcha, thanks!