5 Good & 5 Bad Things after Redskins' game

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I think Bears Defense is stacked with talent. Marinelli (and who knows to what extend, Lovie) used this talent to be one of the Top 3 Defenses last year. This year's team started fairly intact (just replaced Url, Roach & Izzy with Williams, Anderson & Ellis/Washington/Bass). Tucker's Defense started off playing much more poorly, before the injuries. In fact, I would say Williams, Anderson and Frey are an improvement to Url, Roach and Hayden. If I was Emery, I'd consider getting Tucker some help, or replacing him.

Corners - talent yes, but Peanut is old/injured and there is inadequate depth; worse, FA status
Safeties - garbage
LBs - Briggs old/injured, newbies have potential but unproven
DL - in really bad shape

Not seeing the talent stacks.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
I'd say you're high if you think this team is stacked with Defensive Talent. Real high.

Only players worth a damn on defense right now are Briggs, Tillman and Jennings, with everyone else playing like shit. At least in Bostic's case, he's learning and has ability, and the kid they picked up from Oakland, Bass, looks for real too. But you want to sit here and tell me Conte is talented? Paea, after showing nothing? Maybe Wooten when he's playing end, but they have him in at DT because of injuries, and damn he sucks there. Frey is ok, but he's a nickel corner - not on the field all the time.

I mean, the only way you could say the Bears have a high ceiling as far as talent is concerned is if you are looking at the ceiling of a basement.

Too many bad angelo drafts and the few good players got old in a hurry. This defense is many things, but talented just isn't one of them...

I think paea and wootton are more than serviceable.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the current number of injuries do give Tucker an out, in theory. My point is, he might be new to the Bears, but he started with a Top 3 D, and hasn't measured up day one. If I was Emery, I'd tell Tucker to get some help. And consider replacing him, although it's doubtful there are any available big name NFL DC's out there who are better, but there may be lesser known DC assistants or college DCs who could do better.
Remember Lovie was 28th in yards given up in 2007 and that was with Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, Ogun and Harris in their prime. Defensive coordinators typically get a chance to do their thing.

That was also an Emery hire, so he'll want to give it time before he pulls the plug. If he fired him after 1 season it would be like admiting he doesn't know how to interview people.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think paea and wootton are more than serviceable.

Servicable players can look good when surrounded by talent. Not saying they are or aren't, just making a comment.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'd say you're high if you think this team is stacked with Defensive Talent. Real high.

Only players worth a damn on defense right now are Briggs, Tillman and Jennings, with everyone else playing like shit. At least in Bostic's case, he's learning and has ability, and the kid they picked up from Oakland, Bass, looks for real too. But you want to sit here and tell me Conte is talented? Paea, after showing nothing? Maybe Wooten when he's playing end, but they have him in at DT because of injuries, and damn he sucks there. Frey is ok, but he's a nickel corner - not on the field all the time.

I mean, the only way you could say the Bears have a high ceiling as far as talent is concerned is if you are looking at the ceiling of a basement.

Too many bad angelo drafts and the few good players got old in a hurry. This defense is many things, but talented just isn't one of them...
Bears 2012 Defense was ranked #1 and #2 by a few high profile outlets -- they were top 5, suffice is to say. You can't do that without talent. Bears Defense had/has Tillman, Jennings, Briggs, Melton, Peppers and Wootton for starters. Despite how they happened to play this year, that's a lot of talent. Wootton, Paea, Anderson, Frey are playing really well. (And Wootton has played excellent DT last two games; haven't you seen his inside pressure?). Last year Wright and Conte played well. Williams played well despite missing preseason. Bears D had/has a lot of talent this year, it's just hasn't been used to the level it could be, as evidence of these players performances last year. My point is Tucker hasn't preformed well enough, not that the Bears have Thee Best talent in the league... let me just say they're certainly not one of the worst.