Why does Cutler get injured every year?

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
There is always an element of luck involved. I am sure Sam Bradford looked like a no miss QB. Sanchez looked to be the man in New York. San Diego got rid of Brees to get Rivers. Ponder was supposed to be the savior in Minnesota. Brett Favre was looking to be a career backup until he was traded to Green Bay. I highly suspect that if Favre hadn't retired that Rodgers wouldn't have even stayed in Green Bay (he was in a contract year when Favre retired). The simple fact is that more high QB drafts bust out rather than work out. It is always a crapshoot and for every Manning, Rodgers or Luck you have the Bradfords, the Alex Smiths (a solid QB but not a 1st overall pick talent), Tim Couches and Ryan Leafs.

An element of luck playing into something is not the same as it simply coming down to lucking out.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or maybe it's not luck?

As for Cutler, can he be very good? Absolutely, but he can also be down right abysmal to the point of costing the team wins; therefore he averages out to a merely good QB, minus the advantage of consistency. I mean imagine if your a coach and week in and week out you simply don't know what kind of play you're going to get out of your QB, his he going to play lights out putting the whole team on his shoulders, or is he going to do everything in his power to single-handedly cost you the game?

I was going to mention that. GB did get lucky to have Rodgers drop but they kept the QB of the future on their bench for years. SF did the same with Young.

Chicago backs up their franchise QB Cutler with a bad insurance policy in McCown, not the future or a potential replacement if given an opportunity. When Rex was the man same with Orton (who always sucked), Griese, Kordell, Chandler, Miller, how many other established guys that offered no future? You can say the Patriots got lucky with Brady after Bledsoe but Brady was at least potential. Perhaps it is wise to have a number 2 with potential knowing your season is quite possibly ruined with an injury anyways.

And yes, there's the other side of the coin. Saying if McNown has enough veteran experience, perhaps he can keep the team afloat in the event of an injury.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No they didn't, these stupid fucks kept going on about how great he would be if he could stay healthy for a full season, they waited 3years for him to have a healthy season] One healthy season and one trip to the Superbowl. Didn't win but it was a great ride.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
An element of luck playing into something is not the same as it simply coming down to lucking out.

Sure it is. Favre wasn't even drafted by Green Bay. He was with the Falcons, as a backup there. Glanville hated, stated it would take a plane crash to get him into a game. He was a second round pick. No one expected him to be the pro bowl Iron man that he was. Rodgers almost didn't even play for the Packers. Favre's pseudo retirement in a contract year for Rodgers meant that he got out on the field and showed what he could do. If Favre stayed (which he tried to do later on) then Rodgers would have left for another team.

You make an educated guess but luck has a lot to do with it. Otherwise guys like JaMarcuss Russell would never go in the first round. We laugh about him now but Oakland wasn't the only team projected to take him in the first round.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure it is. Favre wasn't even drafted by Green Bay. He was with the Falcons, as a backup there. Glanville hated, stated it would take a plane crash to get him into a game. He was a second round pick. No one expected him to be the pro bowl Iron man that he was. Rodgers almost didn't even play for the Packers. Favre's pseudo retirement in a contract year for Rodgers meant that he got out on the field and showed what he could do. If Favre stayed (which he tried to do later on) then Rodgers would have left for another team.

You make an educated guess but luck has a lot to do with it. Otherwise guys like JaMarcuss Russell would never go in the first round. We laugh about him now but Oakland wasn't the only team projected to take him in the first round.

While I agree most probably didn't. He was a 2nd round drunk. But GB thought he was worth a #1 pick (I thought they were stupid for acquiring Favre) but I guess you create your own luck sometimes. Or maybe GB was just smart enough to give a 1st rounder for a hall of famer instead of for Rick Mirer :)

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I agree most probably didn't. He was a 2nd round drunk. But GB thought he was worth a #1 pick (I thought they were stupid for acquiring Favre) but I guess you create your own luck sometimes. Or maybe GB was just smart enough to give a 1st rounder for a hall of famer instead of for Rick Mirer :)
Favre was always projected to start. The problem in Atlanta was Glanville wanted no part of him but, as you say, the Packers obviously saw something in him to spend a 1st round pick for him.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:

Quit making em look stupid. :slap:

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

Stopped reading right there.

Musashi

Liked Posts:
Do you even lift bro?..

Why is this guy getting injured EVERY year? Is the diabetes becoming a problem? That was the softest tackle I've ever seen someone get injured by in my life. This is the type of shit that happens when you don't take care of your body during the offseason.

Has Cutler ever worked out with Marshall? I doubt it.

How do you let a gym teacher step in and out play you? Cutler has better talent & a much higher IQ than Mccown but his work ethic is to be questioned.
Those sacks are catching up with him. bears ruined him, hes a broken qb

mecha

Liked Posts:
I was going to mention that. GB did get lucky to have Rodgers drop but they kept the QB of the future on their bench for years. SF did the same with Young.

Chicago backs up their franchise QB Cutler with a bad insurance policy in McCown, not the future or a potential replacement if given an opportunity. When Rex was the man same with Orton (who always sucked), Griese, Kordell, Chandler, Miller, how many other established guys that offered no future? You can say the Patriots got lucky with Brady after Bledsoe but Brady was at least potential. Perhaps it is wise to have a number 2 with potential knowing your season is quite possibly ruined with an injury anyways.

And yes, there's the other side of the coin. Saying if McNown has enough veteran experience, perhaps he can keep the team afloat in the event of an injury.

Brady's funny. dude always worked extremely hard to get where he was. I think even in high school he struggled to become the starter. he just never had the ideal physical specs.. but he made it work. people can call him a system QB all they want, dude's been money for many years. I hate the Patriots franchise, and if they ever make it to the super bowl, I'll hate him too, but I always had an admiration for Brady's work ethic. take into consideration when he was drafted, he was the 4th string QB.... following year he wins a super bowl. (or rather, Adam Vinatieri, but whatever)

I'm gonna just keep repeating it, Bears should franchise Cutler and sit on him for another year and hope he plays the whole year well, and if he doesn't, they go the other way. but draft a top QB in the 1st and groom him under Cutler and potentially McCown if he's still around too. with Trestman in the mix, that's some pretty good minds for the game to learn under. then... maybe in a couple years he gets his shot and the rest of the team has the proper pieces to be a winner to smash the Packers' faces in again :)

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Favre was always projected to start. The problem in Atlanta was Glanville wanted no part of him but, as you say, the Packers obviously saw something in him to spend a 1st round pick for him.

I wonder if Favre's career would be different though if Majik doesn't get injured and Favre doesn't becomes instant hero and never looks back (well, until kicked out). I'm sure you spend a #1 on a guy he'll get his chance without the Majik injury but the drinking was no secret. He overslept and missed the Atlanta team picture. Without Majik going down he "might" have found a way to screw up his potential. Who knows.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stopped reading right there.

Why? Lack of comprehension or no desire to actually debate something? Either way it isn't my problem. I make a comment, you respond to it, I make a counter comment and then you decide to take the douche route in discussing something on an internet message board. You have a counter to my argument then post it. I'll read it. I've actually had people change my mind on this board before. But they actually can develop and post a thought and can write a sentence longer than four words.

Last edited:

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder if Favre's career would be different though if Majik doesn't get injured and Favre doesn't becomes instant hero and never looks back (well, until kicked out). I'm sure you spend a #1 on a guy he'll get his chance without the Majik injury but the drinking was no secret. He overslept and missed the Atlanta team picture. Without Majik going down he "might" have found a way to screw up his potential. Who knows.

Possible. No one would have heard of Tom Brady if Drew Bledsoe didn't get hurt in the first year of the 2001 season. Hell, he just signed the biggest contract of all time and was replaced by a 6th round draft pick.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDK but didn't the Packers suck real bad with Majik? I know he had that 1 fluke season but other than that it was a ton of losses and he even got benched in favor of Tomczak at one point right before Favre got there. Can't imagine they spent a 1st round pick for Favre to sit behind him for long.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDK but didn't the Packers suck real bad with Majik? I know he had that 1 fluke season but other than that it was a ton of losses and he even got benched in favor of Tomczak at one point right before Favre got there. Can't imagine they spent a 1st round pick for Favre to sit behind him for long.

Yeah, they were crap. But it was Holmgren's first year so if Majik stays healthy who knows? But they were 4-12 the year before and were 0-2 before Favre's big comeback game. Logic indicates that history probably wouldn't have changed much.