Some Thoughts on Bears @ Skins

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, I have a lot of general thoughts coming out of this game. Not really a lot of specifics on position groups, but general impressions.

So the D. Folks should have got used to it 3 weeks ago. Its bad. What you see is most likely what we're gonna get for the rest of the year.

Some thoughts... there is a trickle down effect coming from the D line and the MLB position. Its making everyone on the field look like shit. I know its at the point where a lot of people are finished with hearing that and no longer give a fuck and every week are gonna be hollaring for some other player's head. Whatever I guess. The DL isn't gonna get better this year and the bears arent gonna find a tampa 2 mlb this year either. Maybe Bostic develops into that. But don't hold your breath.

Whats it mean? It means the whole secondary is gon look like shit for the rest of the year. The CBs are gonna get smoked on intermediate routes. It means the safeties are gonna be asked to cover more field than they are capable of. It means safeties will be in man coverage against the opponents best weapons.

We are seeing all kinds of boneheaded shit right now. Imo, its all comin from the same source. And now, its reached a point where the D has lost discipline in trying to cover up a shit DL and shit MLB coverage. Dudes are beginning from a position of weakness and making it worse by overcompensating. And without discipline, this D is shit.

For me personally, I am on a personal moratorium on evaluating players in this D. Almost nobody is gonna look good in this situation, imo.

As for O....

Imo, people should feel ecstatic about Trestman and Kromer after last night. Sure, McCown played admirably... But fuck him and fuck people pointing at the success McCown had as evidence against Cutler. Thats stupid. The real hero was Trestman.

When McCown came in, the gameplan went out the window and Trestman trotted out an entirely different gameplan. People should take a minute to appreciate that after seeing McCown and Campbell get thrown to the wolves in the past. This time around, the bears had a whole book of shit to run from many different WR screens, draws, reverses, and trick plays that successfully put the D on their heels. They also recommitted to Forte and got positive results.

And yes, McCown contributed by executing. But for the people with their mouths up on his cock.... this is the kind of gameplan that will not work more than 1-2 weeks. Defenses will see that shit on tape and shut it down quick. Its actually very similar to how Cutler opened the season with the short passing game only to be forced into longer pass plays when defenses started sitting on routes.

So I guess what I am saying, is that it was amazing to see a coach actually adjust his whole gameplan and succeed. That was a great start. Going forward, it will be a huge challenge to gamplan around what McCown can and cannot do. Maybe the best thing that will come from Cutler's injury though, will be a renewed commitment to the run game. Hopefull the OL can take this period to really improve their run blocking and maybe start kicking some ass on the ground.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Didn't Trestman say in his presser that absolutely nothing changed in terms of gameplan when McCown came in?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he did, then he is full of shit. The first 7 plays were screens and runs.

3 years in a row, nothing but false hope and heart break.

Time to cheer for a winning franchise...the Denver Broncos! Go Broncos

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cant read Trestmans mind..But I took it as the same play chart was used. Not the actual plays

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Can't it be both Trestman/Kromer and McCown performed well? I give them both props. I take it for granted McCown is no substitute for Cutler. Cutler is playing the best QB of his career this year. He'll be back and re-signed. I'm simply saying McCown is a good backup who can run Trestman's offense and can win us games, as long as the D plays better.

Trestman and McCown both said the whole playbook remained open with McCown stepping in. McCown acknowledged he doesn't have the top velocity that Cutler does; and 98% of the NFL QBs don't, but McCown had at least avg zip, and he hit accurately at every level, he read the D, checked down, handled the rush, threw it away, threw zero interceptions, ran for 1st downs... no reason to disparage his performance just because some posters hate on Cutler.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes I believe Trestman was saying he didn't have to scale back the play book for McCown although he might call different plays to focus on McCown's strengths relative to Cutler.

supra8795

Liked Posts:
Hey Bot(my bad, I fucked that one up), what if the Bears went back to the screens, short passes and more Forte with McCown leading the team? We had pretty good success earlier in the year with this who's to say we couldn't do it again. Hell Manning has been throwing short passes his whole career. Maybe getting back to the running game more will help too. I'm still pretty upset about the injuries so I decided to go to Florida on Thursday to do some fishing knowing the Bears don't play again for 2 weeks.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Maybe the game plan appeared different in the second half with McCown simply due to the fact that they were actually able to execute and string some plays together.

In the first half, Cutler one hopped the first pass of the game essentially killing that drive, the runs went for no gain, etc. Every drive was immediately stalled one way or another, throwing off the rhythm and play calling. You act like Trestman had no intention of calling some screens. It's simply that in the second half they were in a position to call them.

Let's face it McCown is no match for Cutler, when Cutler is on his game, but Cutler was well on his way to having one of his, far to frequent, off days.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Maybe the game plan appeared different in the second half with McCown simply due to the fact that they were actually able to execute and string some plays together.

In the first half, Cutler one hopped the first pass of the game essentially killing that drive, the runs went for no gain, etc. Every drive was immediately stalled one way or another, throwing off the rhythm and play calling. You act like Trestman had no intention of calling some screens. It's simply that in the second half they were in a position to call them.

Let's face it McCown is no match for Cutler, when Cutler is on his game, but Cutler was well on his way to having one of his, far to frequent, off days.

True that... or so it seemed. Still I was screaming at the computer as I found out. And, with the D in the shambles that it is, the hopes of the season kind of got torn out of my groin as well.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
tl;dr

Put your thoughts in the post game thread. We don't need a "what did bot see this week" thread every week. Thx.

:troll:

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
am ecstatic about Trestman and Kromer but the rest of this shit needs blown up and rebuilt from the ground up.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To add to Mr.Fly's post. McCown was playing agianst the Redskins who have a shit D just like us. Do you think Green Bay and Detoilet will fall for McCowns dump off passes to Forte?

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
To add to Mr.Fly's post. McCown was playing agianst the Redskins who have a shit D just like us. Do you think Green Bay and Detoilet will fall for McCowns dump off passes to Forte?

Wut? You see game different than me.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can't it be both Trestman/Kromer and McCown performed well? I give them both props. I take it for granted McCown is no substitute for Cutler. Cutler is playing the best QB of his career this year. He'll be back and re-signed. I'm simply saying saying McCown is a good backup who can run Trestman's offense and can win us games, as long as the D plays better.

Trestman and McCown both said the whole playbook remained open with McCown stepping in. McCown acknowledged he doesn't have the top velocity that Cutler does, 98% of the NFL QBs don't, but McCown had at least avg zip, and he hit accurately at every level, he read the D, checked down, handled the rush, throw it away, throw zero interceptions, ran for 1st downs, no reason to disparage his performance just because some posters hate on Cutler.

Sure, I would agree with that. Wasn't tryin to hate on him.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey Bot(my bad, I fucked that one up), what if the Bears went back to the screens, short passes and more Forte with McCown leading the team? We had pretty good success earlier in the year with this who's to say we couldn't do it again. Hell Manning has been throwing short passes his whole career. Maybe getting back to the running game more will help too. I'm still pretty upset about the injuries so I decided to go to Florida on Thursday to do some fishing knowing the Bears don't play again for 2 weeks.

I don't think its fair to even mention manning. And I dont think a pure short game is sustainable. Teams camp that shit just like they were against Cutler by week 3.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

lol, not sure its fair to knock Cutler for a performance he didn't make.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Didn't Trestman say in his presser that absolutely nothing changed in terms of gameplan when McCown came in?

He did. And he's right. Its the first time I disagree with what Bot saw.

The gameplan did not change, nor the playbook. What changed is in how McCown executed it. He was quicker and much more decisive than Cutler - in fact, what it looked like was McCown knew the playbook better than Jay with regards to how fucking quick he went through his progressions and made decisions.

McCown made I think 3 key runs himself in that game, and there have been times throughout the year where I wondered why Jay didn't run the ball more when the field was open in front of him.

The game plan nor the playbook changed. What we saw finally with McCown in is what the Near-finished product is supposed to look like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT SAID.............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In no way should McCown be looked at as the QB of the future, nor would anyone confuse him for Cutler out there in terms of his physical gifts. Way too many wounded duck passes for my liking as he really has a hard time with the deep ball. Cutler is far and away a more athletically gifted QB than McCown. What I just wish is that Jay had the same mental aptitude as McCown did in diagnosing defenses and knowing where to go with the ball and where to run.

Of course I am saying that after a Washington game where they had a horrid Defense as well. Yet Jay struggled against that same D before he got hurt.

It's interesting to me because the more success McCown has, I think the bigger the case can be made to not re-sign Cutler this offseason. However, if you go that route, you're drafting a QB, not making McCown anything more than your fill in until your rook is ready. Going the other way, if McCown struggles going forward, it only helps Jay's stock.

It'll be interesting to see if McCown is going to pretend to be pre-trade Matt Cassel :p

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if McCown plays well and wins a couple before Jay gets back, it drives Jay's price down. I don't see a scenario where we don't have Cutler in 2014. He has played well this season and can succeed in this offense. But McCown showing he can play well in the offense too will make Jay's value drop and possibly the length of a contract less too.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, you should review. McCown was taking a lot of time on longer pass plays or throwing screens or running. Look again. He was not throwing at the bottom of his drop.

I thought he made pretty good decisions and had surprisingly good accuracy. But i dont think he was especially quick to get the ball out, unless it was a screen.

Last edited:

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
lol, you should review. McCown was taking a lot of time on longer pass plays or throwing screens or running. Look again. He was not throwing at the bottom of his drop.

I thought he made pretty good decisions and had surprisingly good accuracy. But i dont think he was especially quick to get the ball out, unless it was a screen.

Cutler often fails at that. lol

Timing, and timing throws are not Cutler strong suit. That's why even before Jay's injury I wouldn't have been surprised if Trest decided that Jay wasn't necessarily his guy going forward; He simply might not be the best fit for Trestman's system, nor do we see what Trest sees when he's reviewing the tape.