Sam Montgomery released by Texans.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Anyone know about this kid. He was a 3 round pick and he was released for violating team rules. Yes he ain't a DT but any chance he could be better than out 1st pick Shea?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Liked Posts:
He's a pot head SIGN HIM! No really, I wouldn't mind if Emery signed him. If he doesn't play well or keeps up his antics release him.

scatterthegold

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I heard he was released that was the first thing that popped into my head. A 3rd round DE just released? Emery should be calling to bring him in for a workout.

For shits and giggs, I copied this from nfl.com's report on him. Definitely worth kicking the tires, IMO.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Tall, long defensive end who plays on the weakside. Has growth potential to be a three-down player. Flashes quickness on the edge and some bend. Gets secondary rushes by pure hustle, comes off block if his man lets up after initial contact and closes quickly to the ball. Very good effort to ball carriers on the sideline whether lined up inside or outside. Holds his ground well in the run game, gaining leverage off the snap and rolling his hips through contact to move the blocker backwards. Fights for inside hand placement. Aggressive coming down the line and taking on kick-out blocks, spilling the ball carrier outside to help. Competitive player who doesn’t back down from challenges, will bull his way into bigger tackles to collapse the pocket.

WEAKNESSES Goes off the offensive tackle’s movement instead of ball movement, making him late off the snap too often, whether standing up or playing with his hand down. Doesn’t exhibit much balance or flexibility, struggling to turn the corner consistently and getting pushed around the pocket. Better tackles can stone him on his first move, lacks a consistent counter move to get free. Does not run through tight ends when he has the size advantage. Did not show much progression between his sophomore and junior seasons. Played from a very tight alignment that helped masked his balance and flexibility issues, allowing him to get up and under tackles’ pads quickly.

NFL COMPARISON Andre Carter

BOTTOM LINE This lean All-SEC pick and Ted Hendricks Award finalist used very good quickness and a high motor to rack up nine sacks and chase down ball carriers all over the field in 2011. Like his high-profile teammate, Barkevious Mingo, Montgomery’s progression as a defensive player stagnated during his LSU career. Montgomery has some limitations as a pass rusher, but is a high motor player who holds his ground well against the run and constantly making tackles in pursuit. He figures to go on the second day of the NFL draft, projecting to a second or early third round pick.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bet he is about to get suspended?

He failed a bunch of drug tests in college, so what are the odds he failed another drug test?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He's not a high motor guy. He actually admitted in interviews that he took some plays off.