Tyrus Thomas to extend or not to extend

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
I never herd JR doesnt like him Dpauley, he may be dissapointed in him but not sure on that either.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
JR doesn't like certain people for no reason. He likes people who are good citizens and do community service. Take Deng hes better citizen than Gordon and helps out in the community. So he gets fat 71 million dollar contract. What does Gordon get? nothing.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
In the New York Daily News paper on they ask athletes if they could choose three people to eat dinner with who would it be well if i ever had that asked i say fast JR. I would love to pick his brain.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Did you ever he his story with Mark Lewinthal co-host of Chicago Bullseye

collisrost

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bulls will lock him up this offseason. And that's probably the right thing to do. The only way I see it happenning is if they trade for Bosh or Amare using Noah in the package instead of Tyrus or if Tyrus agrees to take a discount contract. Neither of which look at all likely.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I don't want to give Tyrus a deal if you don't have to. I am on the "wait until 2010" bandwagon for getting Bosh. I would rather have Deng and 2#1 picks and just wait a year on Bosh instead of getting him next year for those guys to make a decent playoff push next year.

I think if you give Tyrus a deal, he can start to loaf, kill his trade value and then you lose the cap space to get a max player in 2010. In no circumstance should Tyrus be extended this off-season.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
JR doesn't like certain people for no reason. He likes people who are good citizens and do community service. Take Deng hes better citizen than Gordon and helps out in the community. So he gets fat 71 million dollar contract. What does Gordon get? nothing.

Well, I think JR doesn't like people for a specific reason. He likes guys he views as having good character. There's actually plenty of personal experience with the Bulls to back up why he should feel this way, as the times he has had guys without good character the team has been a train wreck.

While I think he may have misjudged Gordon in this case, I don't think it's fair to say valuing character is a bad idea. Also, it's worth noting that Gordon didn't get "nothing", he had an offer for 54 million dollars on the table for 2-3 months, and the prior season he had a deal for 50 million. Gordon accepted nothing, but that choice was on Gordon.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
DanTown wrote:
I don't want to give Tyrus a deal if you don't have to. I am on the "wait until 2010" bandwagon for getting Bosh. I would rather have Deng and 2#1 picks and just wait a year on Bosh instead of getting him next year for those guys to make a decent playoff push next year.

Is wait until next year an option? If Toronto decides to trade Bosh then you can either acquire him now, or the team they trade him to will lock him up long term as part of the trade. I think you have to move on him when Toronto moves on him.

I think if you give Tyrus a deal, he can start to loaf, kill his trade value and then you lose the cap space to get a max player in 2010. In no circumstance should Tyrus be extended this off-season.

It may depend partially on what happens the rest of the summer. Say Bosh, Amare, LeBron, Wade, Ming, and Joe Johnson all end up locked up where none of them will be FAs next year because they all sign extensions with their teams or are traded and sign extensions with the new teams.

In that case, you really don't have a lot to look forward to in 2010 and locking up Tyrus is no longer such a bad idea, but even then I think he needs to give you a discount.