White Sox rumors

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Adrian Gonzalez Rumors: Padres – White Sox talks heating up?
By Allan
Bookmark & Share
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times says that the White Sox 9-14 record may have the team going into panic mode. He questions if Bobby Jenks and A.J. Pierzynski have become expendable or will GM Ken Williams do something to turn this around.
According to Cowley, one major-league scout said the White Sox and San Diego Padres have had “further discussions about Adrian Gonzalez and even discussed names.”
The big problem for the White Sox is that the Padres are in first place and aren’t in selling mode.
Williams was asked Saturday about the talk with the Padres and responded in a vague text: ”Just trying to win today’s game.”

Jarrod Washburn Rumors: Dodgers, White Sox, Pirates?
By Allan
Bookmark & Share
Free agent pitcher Jarrod Washburn’s name has come up with a few teams including the Dodgers, White Sox and Pirates. According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports, neither the Dodgers or White Sox are in pursuit of the free agent.
“To my knowledge, neither team has shown interest,” Washburn said in an e-mail to FOXSports.com on Wednesday.
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review says that the Pirates have no plans in to bring in Washburn despite the team’s injury problems in the starting rotation.
The Mariners, Royals and Twins have been mentioned as interested parties in the left-hander. Washburn also hinted at retirement, but that may be a tactic to build up negotiation leverage. You can see previous rumors about Washburn here.
Washburn, 35, has a career 107-109 record with a 4.10 ERA and 1.301 WHIP. He pitched for the Seattle Mariners and Detroit Tigers last season where he made $10.35 million in the last year of a four year contract. You can see Washburn’s contract history and statistics here.

Prince Fielder Rumors: Red Sox or White Sox could be a destination?
By Allan
Bookmark & Share
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune speculates that Prince Fielder may end up playing for the Red Sox or White Sox by the end of July.
Rogers knows Milwaukee would love to keep their first baseman, but in the wake of Ryan Howard’s five-year, $125 million contract extension, Fielder may be too pricey for the small market Brewers. Keep in mind that Fielder is 4 1/2 years younger than Howard and will be a free agent after the 2011 season so he can test the open waters.
Rogers suggests that a package “built around pitching and Triple-A first baseman Dayan Viciedo” would certainly get Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin’s attention. Rogers also throws out Gavin Floyd, Daniel Hudson and Sergio Santos as names that the White Sox could throw towards Milwaukee. He adds that if the White Sox could get rid of Alex Rios and his huge contract (to the Brewers or another team), they could sign Fielder to a long-term contract rather than having him as a 1 1/2 year rental.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Don't tease me about Prince, and if the Brewers would ever seriously look at a trade in which the center piece is Dayan Viciedo (I don't care how highly the Sox org thinks of him), I feel terrible for Brewers fans worldwide.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I think they wanna unload him, for whatever reason.

Prince on this team would be incredible.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I think they wanna unload him, for whatever reason.

Prince on this team would be incredible.

For sure.

And hey, maybe it IS time for the Sox to sell high on the "promise" of Viciedo, because he has done nothing but increase his strikeout rate and decrease his walk rate from last season. But I think teams would still be attracted to his gaudy power-hitting abilities given his age.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
yeah the potential is obviously there. Also with the play of Lucy I think we could see Flowers involved in a deal.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one besides the desperate White Sox wanted Rios' contract, what changes that now? And for as good as Fielder is offensively, he still strikes out quite a bit and his defense is below average.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
it was and is a bad contract but I like the pick up. He is excellent on defense and it is only a matter of time before he starts doing damage in the hitters ball park that is the Cell.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
No one besides the desperate White Sox wanted Rios' contract, what changes that now? And for as good as Fielder is offensively, he still strikes out quite a bit and his defense is below average.

He probably more than makes up for his defensive lapses and strikeouts with his on-base abilities alone, not even including his power hitting.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
really good on the basepaths. 9 stolen bases.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's still massively overpaid, and no team wants that contract. What a mess the Blue Jays had, overpaying Rios and especially Vernon Wells

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
yup. Hopefully he gets back to all-star form.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
He's still massively overpaid, and no team wants that contract.

What are you talking about? From 2007-09 he hit 130 HR's, and AVERAGED a WARP of 5.57. On top of that, his production for the last three seasons, according to FanGraphs, would have been worth $63 million on the open market, with last year alone being worth $30 million. If anything, he is vastly underpaid, and the Brewers are getting a bargain with his current contract.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I'm more of a Cubs fan, and I still really want Fielder to go to the Sox, because that's mean Milwaukee wouldn't have him! :)

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I'm more of a Cubs fan, and I still really want Fielder to go to the Sox, because that's mean Milwaukee wouldn't have him! :)

That's what I was thinking. Hell whatever team he does go to I want it to be an AL team.

I'm really shocked no one has picked up Washburn yet. He's not that good of a pitcher but there is always someone willing to take a chance on a starting pitcher.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Konerko or Fielder at DH then? (If they do this) My guess would be Fielder, due to weight and ability to move quickly to react to a ball hit.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Fielder. Paulie is still an awesome 1B.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Konerko or Fielder at DH then? (If they do this) My guess would be Fielder, due to weight and ability to move quickly to react to a ball hit.

I'd say Paulie at first for now, but let him have this year and become a Type A and let him head on out for a pair of high picks, replacing him on the field with Prince. That would be really nice.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Paulie is the best player in the league so far, u dont just throw him away like that.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
I would, especially considering he's a 34 year old FA-to-be that's having a great season. The type of money and years he commands wouldn't be worth the risk of regression on his part. Plus, the two draft picks could go a bit of a way in re-stocking the farm system.

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
I say re-sign then trade if anything.