2009 Free Agency

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Possibly but i think it would have to be a sign and trade.

If you were the Lakers and could only keep Odom or Trevor who would you choose? I would take Lamar because I dont think Trevor can start on a consistent basis and is better suited as a 6th or 7th man.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Probably Odom. In 2010 though I could really see that Laker team being blown apart

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
You think? Kobe is a FA in that year correct?

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Kobe has 2 early opt outs the next two years. I don't think he would opt out this year since he would really have no leverage in places to go. In 2010 though I really believe Phil will retire and that might be just enough to have Kobe look elsewhere. It would be between us, the Knicks and of course the Lakers

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Nice. Kobe has alot of mileage but i would take him in a heart beat.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
With Fisher gone and Bynum possibly turning into bust. They will lose 1 or both of Ariza and Odom too

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Hawkfanwillie07 wrote:
I wouldnt mind the Bulls taking a look at Zaza.

I wouldn't either, but I don't know that we'll have the money available really.

FA this summer is so complex for us, because it depends so much on what happens with everyone else:

1) Do the big 2010 FAs sign extensions this summer. If yes, then maybe you can spend a tiny bit this summer, but if no, do you want to sign ZaZa and screw up the capspace next year?

2) Where is the luxury tax threshold set at. This will determine whether we have about 2 million underneath it or 4-5 million, and I'm assuming that we won't pay it.

3) Do we make any trades for big players. This could change radically what we need.

4) Do we keep our draft picks, because if the answer is yes, then a lot of our gaps will be filled with those cheap contracts, if no, then we need to look harder at FA.

This is going to be a fun off season, potentially really exciting potentially a lot of build up with no conclusion.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Doug how about Rodney Carney? What do you think about him as a cheap SG/SF to add to the team if Gordon walks and Deng goes in a Bosh deal?

Rose,Hinrich,Salmons,Kapano,Carney perimeter group with Bosh, Noah and Miller upfront?

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Carney is not a free agent. I think the Wolves will try to extend him to a cheap deal considering they let McCants go and Rodney has really been a nice surprise for them.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
This is going to be a fun off season, potentially really exciting potentially a lot of build up with no conclusion.

Had we not pulled the trigger on the deadline deals, I wouldn't have had much optimism about the summer, to be honest. But look at the assets we have right now. It's ridiculous.

Jerome James - $6.6M expiring (possibly 80% covered) that contract is gold, and we got it plus Tim Thomas for Larry Hughes.

Tim Thomas - $6.4M expiring, and he can still play. So if a team wants to add a rotation player for a year, he's a possible target.

Brad Miller - $12.5M expiring, and is still starting material in this league. Will likely re-sign cheap after his final big pay-out.

Tyrus Thomas - 22 years old, improved with remaining potential. Big trade chip.

We're in an excellent position. The worst thing that can happen is we don't pull the trigger on any summer deals, but instead use these assets at the deadline. Though, I think Bosh is going to be available this summer.

In fact, I'm going to say it. I think Chris Bosh will be a Chicago Bull when we open up the 2009/2010 season. The trade will consist of us taking back Bosh and Kapono, and we give up financial flexability as well as Tyrus Thomas.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Kobe has 2 early opt outs the next two years. I don't think he would opt out this year since he would really have no leverage in places to go. In 2010 though I really believe Phil will retire and that might be just enough to have Kobe look elsewhere. It would be between us, the Knicks and of course the Lakers

I can't see Kobe ever leaving the Lakers. Especially with the team they have around him now. Where could he realistically land that would be better? He's in the 2nd biggest market in the league, and the weather in california is way better than new york or Chicago.

He's got an all star big man with him which neither new york or Chicago have. He's got a second young potential all star big man on his team as well. The Lakers will continue to spend to put talent around him.

I just don't see things getting better for him elsewhere. New york might spend more, but than LA, but they don't have any of the initial talent to start with.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Kobe is going nowhere fellas. Bynus, Gasol, Odom, a loaded bench. He has exactly what he wants in L.A.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
In fact, I'm going to say it. I think Chris Bosh will be a Chicago Bull when we open up the 2009/2010 season. The trade will consist of us taking back Bosh and Kapono, and we give up financial flexability as well as Tyrus Thomas.

I don't know if I consider this more likely than not, but if you were handicapping odds of a superstar in advance then this is a pretty good guess.

If you told me only one of the major players were going to move this summer, and I had to guess which one, to where, and for what, I would guess Bosh + Kapono to Chicago for Tyrus + 2 1st rounders + James + ????. Either Deng or Miller would probably fill the last spot. Maybe Timmy, but that would leave us taking on a lot of salary this summer.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
Bosh seems likely to be on his way out. He's voiced displeasure this season and several Raptors fans with some knowledge of the situation have said Bosh has quietly asked to be moved this summer. I believe an article was published that stated he prefered Chicago.

If this is all hot air and he's actually satisfied in Toronto, then that obviously changes everything. But going on my original premise, I think we have the best shot to get him.

I think several major players will change teams this summer. Not Wade or LeBron, of course. But Amare, Nash, Boozer and perhaps even McGrady (due to contract) could be on other teams next season. Bosh is just as likely and since we are targetting him, I believe he'll fall to us. We do have insane trade packages available.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I think Bosh's desire to play for a good team will factor heavily in where he ends up. Bosh can veto any trade in practice because no one will give up anything for him if he refuses an extension.

So Bosh will come up with an acceptable list of teams, and I think Derrick Rose and a playoff finish this year will be enough to put us on the list. Of the teams on the list, I don't think we'll be his first choice, but I think we'll offer the best package.

We'll see bidding for Bosh will be intense. Tyrus + 2 1sts + cash is only so-so value for Bosh. If Tyrus was playing this well and had 2+ years left on his deal, it'd be very good value, but because he'll require an extension next summer, he's only so-so. The picks aren't that great, but picks are always good, the trade could be done after the draft, so that we include next years pick too if we wanted to.

I think it will be interesting though, if Bosh is moved then moving him on draft day presents our best hope, because then Toronto can use our picks themselves.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
I think whether we get Bosh depends on how interested the Raptors are in Deng. We have heard their GM has always liked Deng but the question is whether he still feels that way. If he does then the contract won't be a big deal because he will have his guy locked up long term. Us taking back Kapano will help make him feel better about taking back Deng. Deng, Tyrus, both picks and James for Bosh and Kapano is our best chance to get him and is something we absolutely should do. If you are Toronto with your own pick you could get a bigtime SG like DeRozan and have Calderon, DeRozan, Deng, Tyrus, Bargnani plus two more 1st rd picks to get a shooter like Budinger and perhaps another bigman like Brackins. That immediately gives that team much more roster balance and depth of talent. For Chicago you get to build around Rose, Bosh, Noah, Salmons and Hinrich. That is a top 4 team in the East next year and if you could add another perimeter scorer or a Salmons upgrade in 2010 then you really have something special.

Morten Jensen

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I think Bosh's desire to play for a good team will factor heavily in where he ends up. Bosh can veto any trade in practice because no one will give up anything for him if he refuses an extension.

So Bosh will come up with an acceptable list of teams, and I think Derrick Rose and a playoff finish this year will be enough to put us on the list. Of the teams on the list, I don't think we'll be his first choice, but I think we'll offer the best package.

Pretty much. That's what I took into consideration. As stated, I believe there was an article out that said Bosh preferred Chicago. We can only hope. If it's true, Derrick Rose alone would be a good enough reason, IMO. A playoff seed would definitely help, but Derrick being just 20 might have that overshadowed somewhat.

We'll see bidding for Bosh will be intense. Tyrus + 2 1sts + cash is only so-so value for Bosh. If Tyrus was playing this well and had 2+ years left on his deal, it'd be very good value, but because he'll require an extension next summer, he's only so-so. The picks aren't that great, but picks are always good, the trade could be done after the draft, so that we include next years pick too if we wanted to.

Good point. But instant salary savings via us taking more salary back, and Toronto getting Jerome James, that might make that okay for them. If not, they can always move Tyrus for decent value. Pending he plays well, naturally.

But looking through the teams in the NBA, who would make a better offer? Unless a team offers a star and it's a team Chris wants to go to, I don't see it. Toronto has also been bleeding financially, IIRC.

IMO, it's a match made in heaven if Bosh actually wants to come here:

1. We can offer financial relief
2. We can offer young talent
3. We're on CB's 'short list'

Complications can arise, but this might be one of the better odds we've had in a while to land a star.

I think it will be interesting though, if Bosh is moved then moving him on draft day presents our best hope, because then Toronto can use our picks themselves.

Agreed.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
I agree with Morten's last post. Bosh has a lot of say and that hurts Toronto in trade talk.

I can see a couple of different offers for Bosh and IMO Deng won't be in any deal.

Tyrus,15th,25th and fillers for Bosh and maybe we take on Kapono

Tyrus,Noah and filler for Bosh (which I can see the Raptors wanting that over the picks)

Yes the Rapors have Bargs but adding Tyrus and Noah would help. They could go with Bargs and Tyrus with Noah as the super sub giving them depth. They also will be able to make a run @ Gordon or any FA they want.

I know people are high on Noah and Tyrus but if we had a chance @ Bosh you deal both. I wouldn't add the picks though, maybe the 25th but not the 15th but if we were to give them James as the filler I don't see why we would need to add either pick. That gives Toronto two nice young talent and saves them a boat load

We would have Miller/Bosh next year and would still have 2 1st to add a big in the draft which would be cheap and we would have Omer coming in 2010.

The way Noah and Tyrus have played this year I think Toronto would take both for Bosh if Bosh tells Toronto he's gone

Edit: We can even bring Miller back on a cheap contract in 2010 as well.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind seeing the Bulls sign Steve Novak as a cheap backup for Deng. He's from Chicago and he could provide much needed outside shooting for the second team.

Rose/Hinrich/Roberson
Salmons/Williams
Deng/Novak
Thomas/Thomas
Noah/Miller

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
We don't need 10 man rotation. Its likely next to be Rose, Hinrich, Salmons, and draft pick/filler in Bosh or Amare trade. In front court its likely to be Deng, Salmons, Noah, Miller, and Tyrus/Amare/Bosh