So what's after "Luc Longley" ?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Re:So what's after

I believe all the ranks have been named at some point.

I might add some more ranks and spread them apart or switch the order around.

collisrost

Liked Posts:

I think it's a fabulous system. The only problem is I'm not sure I'd rather be Ron Harper than Luc Longley. I mean it's LUUUUUUUUUC!

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

I am Ron :woohoo:

Jamfan

Twitter: @jamfan41
Liked Posts:

Dpauley23 wrote:
I wonder what 100 is?
Well hurry up and post why don't you?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

collisrost wrote:
I think it's a fabulous system. The only problem is I'm not sure I'd rather be Ron Harper than Luc Longley. I mean it's LUUUUUUUUUC!

This was sort of the most confusing part about rating the different players. Would you take Kukoc over Rodman, Paxson over Armstrong. I tried to separate guys into what I considered to be pretty clear tiers, but it's still only so-so.

It's also why I used only retired players. Where would Derrick Rose go on the list? How about Ben Gordon? One year they may be somewhere and the next they'd be totally different.

collisrost

Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:
collisrost wrote:

This was sort of the most confusing part about rating the different players. Would you take Kukoc over Rodman, Paxson over Armstrong. I tried to separate guys into what I considered to be pretty clear tiers, but it's still only so-so.

It's also why I used only retired players. Where would Derrick Rose go on the list? How about Ben Gordon? One year they may be somewhere and the next they'd be totally different.

That's why i've decided to never post again... I want to be Luc forever :D

Seriously it really doesn't matter how the players are ranked, it's all in good fun and it's way more appealing than what most message boards do.

Just off the top of my head, since we're really commenting on the game rather than playing it, wouldn't it make more sense to be named after sportswriters and commentators. You can have newbies be "Neil Funk" and then "Sam Smith" and so on... all the way up to the superexcellent "Ray Clay."

Actually, it might make sense to use the karma meter to rate posters....

Nah. What Doug put together is perfect!

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

The karma thing would be interesting. One of the downfalls of using the software package I did for a lot of this stuff is that I'm hesitant to make too many custom hacks though. Every custom hack I make will need to be replicated (or go away) whenever an upgrade comes out.

So that's a pretty big challenge. I was waffling on using phpBB (which is what realgm uses), but it doesn't integrate smoothly into the content management system we're running whereas this software does.

Pluses and minuses for everything I suppose.

collisrost

Liked Posts:

Speaking of Karma, I can see that you're already the karma king, Doug. Not surprised.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I bumped you up one just for saying that.

The karma system seems to have some kinks in it given that I believe it allows you to bump people as often as you like without limit.