CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My biggest problems with Thibs are this, like somebody earlier posted, if you're up rest your starters. If they start to chip at the lead put one or two starters in. In fact, I believe when Rose tore his ACL, they were up by 10 with a minute or so left. My BIGGEST problem with Thibs is this, if a guy is hurt fine don't play them, but if the medical staff says he's good to go, Thibs rides him like a roller coaster. That shouldn't be. Just because a guy is good to go, doesn't mean he doesn't have a lingering health issue or is 100%
Three minutes to go and I believe that lead was done from 18. Different case to be made because we are talking playoffs and you wanted to bury them. I had no issue with Rose in the game at that point.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Three minutes to go and I believe that lead was done from 18. Different case to be made because we are talking playoffs and you wanted to bury them. I had no issue with Rose in the game at that point.

Bulls were up 20 with 5 minutes to go, Rose went down at 1:09 with a 12 points lead. That said, I wouldn't have taken him out either.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I truly don't understand about Thib's and his min. usage on starters. When he has been forced to play back ups, over the last two years, he's gotten great production and winning ways. It isn't as if he has had scrubs playing like scrubs. He has managed to get off the shelf players to perform over their heads. He really needs to trust this more.

I suspect this years bench will surprise us much like the last two years have surprised us. WHO would have thought last years bench would have performed as well as they did. I was shocked.

sicko

Liked Posts:
Let Tom DO HIS JOB and shut the hell up and stay out of the way Gar and some of you fans who apparently are Basketball Coaches all of a sudden

Tom knows WTF he is doing and I love the fact that unlike other teams in the Preseason, Tom took the time to allow Rose to build that chemistry back up with his team but also build chemistry with the new guys like Murphy, Dunleavy, Snee and Butler who is now the starting SG which he wasn't before Rose went down

I am not worried about Tom as our Head Coach at all or him "Playing Starters A Lot Of Minutes" all Starters play a lot of minutes in the NBA when they are healthy that is why they get paid the most!

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Bulls up 20 with 5 minutes left, lets bring Boozer and Rose back in :facepalm:

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bulls were up 20 with 5 minutes to go, Rose went down at 1:09 with a 12 points lead. That said, I wouldn't have taken him out either.

I'm not sure why people act as if taking Rose out would have saved his knee...I suppose it may have saved it for that day, but Rose's ligament just snapped without any contact on his way to the lane. His knee was ready to go out regardless and it would have happened very soon after.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:shifty:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yes, thank you for reviving a thread from the beginning of the season.

To clarify as we now have nearly six months of hindsight: My opinion was wrong. Given what we know now about Thibs, and the way he runs this team, this was a silly concept of me to come up with.

Better?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes, thank you for reviving a thread from the beginning of the season.

To clarify as we now have nearly six months of hindsight: My opinion was wrong. Given what we know now about Thibs, and the way he runs this team, this was a silly concept of me to come up with.

Better?

We've had 3 seasons of hindsight to know Thibodeau generally knows what he's doing.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
We've had 3 seasons of hindsight to know Thibodeau generally knows what he's doing.
I believe the point of this thread was to look at how Thibs managed minutes this season, due to the injuries of core players over those three seasons.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe the point of this thread was to look at how Thibs managed minutes this season, due to the injuries of core players over those three seasons.

Even with injuries to the core players the past 3 seasons, the Bulls still play(ed) a high level, won 3 playoff series including a 7 game series without homecourt advantage.

So its been working, and there's always room for improvement.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Even with injuries to the core players the past 3 seasons, the Bulls still play(ed) a high level, won 3 playoff series including a 7 game series without homecourt advantage.

So its been working, and there's always room for improvement.
So obviously my thoughts in October were just as wrong as the thoughts posted today.

I'm admitting I was wrong.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here's a really well written article from last week on Thibs. Deadspin isn't normally the greatest place to find pieces like this, but their basketball coverage is pretty good.

https://deadspin.com/tom-thibodeau-is-destruction-1821265024

Premise of the article is that Thibs' defensive scheme laid the foundation for the pace-and-space type play we see today, and he hasn't been able to adjust.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's a really well written article from last week on Thibs. Deadspin isn't normally the greatest place to find pieces like this, but their basketball coverage is pretty good.

https://deadspin.com/tom-thibodeau-is-destruction-1821265024

Premise of the article is that Thibs' defensive scheme laid the foundation for the pace-and-space type play we see today, and he hasn't been able to adjust.
Maybe I missed the part where it says that he hasn't been able to adjust to the Spurs/Warriors style of play, but one thing that the article definitely says is something we said long ago...Thibs drives his starters into the ground. That, more than any sort of offensive or defensive scheme, is probably his downfall as a coach.

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
Tom “it’s better to burn out than it is to rust” Thibodeau’s philosohy has taken down more nba players than the Kardashians.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
The problem is this has been the case since Reinsdorf's owned the team and you can expand it if you look at the White Sox during the Ken Williams/Ozzie Guillen era. If anyone here has read Dave Halberstram's book about Michael Jordan called Playing For Keeps it shows how Jerry undermined Doug Collins' authority when Doug was the HC of the team and we know how the Krause-Phil relationship ended. Hell, dumbass Paxson threw a punch at Vinny del Negro over coincidentally the same thing we're talking about here (players coming off injury needing to have their minutes in regular season games limited). That's five battles between coaching and management under Jerry Reinsdorf's ownership and four since he took over the Bulls. The two main problems are Jerry doesn't sit the two camps down and tell them to act like adults and when push comes to shove he always backs the GM and his allies over the coaching and players (again see the breakup of the Dynasty of the late 90's).
I'm with Prope er Pretentious Bastard here. I want to see Gar and Thibs patch things up and have a cordial professional bond. I just don't see a reason to believe this will happen.

Easiest #Called It ever. Same as it Ever Was