Cub's Prospect Watch And Development Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pipeline Perspectives: Bryant gets nod over Sano
Cubs third-base prospect projects to be middle-of-order hitter with glove to match
Jonathan Mayo
By Jonathan Mayo | Archive
10/29/2013 2:54 P.M. ET

There's a good amount of subjectivity regarding baseball prospects. With the evaluation of talent being in the eye of the beholder, finding a consensus is often difficult. Even Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo at MLBPipeline.com don't always see eye-to-eye. They'll be discussing their viewpoints regularly in a feature called Pipeline Perspectives. Submit a topic for them to debate.

It's not so easy to find players who fit the offensive description of prototypical third basemen, ones who can hit for power and drive in runs. Even our fairly robust list of Top 10 third-base prospects doesn't include many who one can be nearly certain will be middle-of-the-order types in future big league lineups.

There are two, though, who fit the mold almost perfectly: Miguel Sano and Kris Bryant, ranked Nos. 3 and 35 on MLB.com's overall Top 100 Prospects list. If you were looking for a knock-down, drag-out fight over this one, you'll have to wait for another Perspectives. Jim and I agree that both Sano and Bryant have the potential to be extremely productive Major League players in the future. That being said, we did have to choose sides, so Jim went with Sano and I am giving the slight edge to Bryant.

That margin, however narrow, stems more from my belief that Bryant can be a better defender at third than Sano. Both are big and both will have to prove they can stay there. It wouldn't shock me if either or both of them ended up moving to first base or an outfield corner position. I do believe Bryant is a bit more athletic and he showed an ability to play a solid right field, complete with a plus arm, during his junior year at the University of San Diego. That athleticism will serve him well as he is eager to prove he can be a big man who sticks at third.

I don't think there's anyone who doubts his ability to hit his way to the big leagues. Yes, I'm aware he has 128 professional at-bats (not including his 20 Florida State League playoff at-bats and his 42 in the Arizona Fall League) on his resume so far. But the 2013 Golden Spikes Award winner has made a seamless transition from college to the pro game, showing his power will more than translate.

And he's done it across multiple levels. After a very brief pro introduction in rookie ball, he went to the short-season Northwest League and proceeded to shake off a five-strikeout debut by hitting .354/.416/.692 in 18 games. The Cubs decided that was enough to promote him, but rather than move him up just one step, to the Midwest League, they double-jumped him to the FSL.

All he did there was hit .333/.387/.719 over 16 games, then 7-for-20 with four RBIs in the postseason as Daytona won the league title. He moved on to the Fall League, where he currently is setting the world on fire, leading the league in home runs, RBIs and OPS. Yes, that's a small sample size and the AFL is historically very hitter-friendly, but there's no question taht Bryant is on a super fast track now. One scout said that Bryant is one of the best players he's seen in the Fall League in years. He added that he thought he'd be ready for Chicago at some point next season.

Let's have some fun with projected stats, shall we? Just looking at what he did during the regular season, Bryant hit .336/.390/.688 in 128 at-bats. He had 25 extra-base hits -- 14 doubles, two triples and nine homers. He drove in 32 runs in 36 games. For the sake of this exercise, I'll use Miguel Cabrera as a comparison because, well, doesn't he represent what every team developing a third baseman dreams of?

Cabrera had 555 at-bats in 2013. Using that to project Bryant's debut, it means the future Cubs third baseman could put up a line like this: .336 average, 39 home runs, 139 RBIs. Will he do it as soon as he gets to Wrigley Field? That's unlikely. Will he do it eventually? Count me as one of a growing number of believers.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Mayo saying Bryant > Sano means Sano >>> Bryant :troll:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Don't like the system for those rankings, we're clearly better than a few teams ahead of us and Pittsburgh should be up there as well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Follow

Jason Parks
‏@ProfessorParks
An early draft of the BP 101 has three #Cubs prospects in the mix for top ten consideration. That's #rig.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mayo saying Bryant > Sano means Sano >>> Bryant :troll:

He was saying that Bryant has a better glove and the hitting should be a wash.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Bryant K's in 1st AB, ran a full count.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Are any of these guys in the majors yet?

patg006

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, this is one of the few bright topics that fans can talk about.

Well I can see why. Who the hell wants to see the major league team be a success?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
This list if for what Teams have most Impact talent close to MLB. Cubs are a top 2 or 3 system with all players

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
If the Cubs were to trade a top prospect I feel like it would have to be Baez or Almora. But Almora is Jed/Theo's guy. Soler likely has too big of a contract for some teams, and Bryant isn't able to be traded till June I believe. However, I see no scenario in which either guy is traded unless it results in Chris Sale or David Price coming to the Cubs.

I am surprised to see the Rangers ranked ahead of the Cubs, considering the haul the Cubs took from them in the Garza deal. The thing that hurts the Cubs is half their elite talent is more than a year away from having a shot at making the bigs.

Curious to see where the Cubs rank after they graduate some of their top talent this year, or even as the season draws closer. A Samardzija trade would certainly help things, as well as a great pick in June.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Cubs were to trade a top prospect I feel like it would have to be Baez or Almora. But Almora is Jed/Theo's guy. Soler likely has too big of a contract for some teams, and Bryant isn't able to be traded till June I believe. However, I see no scenario in which either guy is traded unless it results in Chris Sale or David Price coming to the Cubs.

I am surprised to see the Rangers ranked ahead of the Cubs, considering the haul the Cubs took from them in the Garza deal. The thing that hurts the Cubs is half their elite talent is more than a year away from having a shot at making the bigs.

Curious to see where the Cubs rank after they graduate some of their top talent this year, or even as the season draws closer. A Samardzija trade would certainly help things, as well as a great pick in June.

What hurts the cubs farm is elite pitching talent. The cubs have almost zero. There isn't another team in the league that can compete with out elite hitting talent especially power. The cubs top 4 hitters are elite in terms of hitting potential. New rumors are circulating that the cubs aren't necessarily asking for pitching for shark. The royals and cubs seem to be eyeing each other up. Junior lake is also another name the royals seem to be looking at

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What hurts the cubs farm is elite pitching talent. The cubs have almost zero. There isn't another team in the league that can compete with out elite hitting talent especially power. The cubs top 4 hitters are elite in terms of hitting potential. New rumors are circulating that the cubs aren't necessarily asking for pitching for shark. The royals and cubs seem to be eyeing each other up. Junior lake is also another name the royals seem to be looking at

If the Logan Morrison rumor gains any momentum then I could see Olt going to Fla for Morrison with Morrison taking over LF. That would then free up Lake to be traded to KC for what ever they are thinking.

patg006

Liked Posts:

I hope they keep Baez. Power, bat speed, and compared to Garry Sheffield. Soler is my biggest pick to bust. I'd dump him in a trade first. Almora I think will be a nice, singles hitter. Like Ryan Theriot with more walks and slightly more speed. Theriot had wheels, but not that fast.

Jurickson Profar is still on th elists of many in terms of prospects. Then they still have great pitching behind him.

Stop focusing on who has the better farm system and moreso on who makes it to the bigs better. Especially since the plan is to keep them all right now.

I want more superior pitching, cubs balked twice at it, I'm okay with it with Bryant. Cubs I believe will lament picking Almora over Appel

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
If the Logan Morrison rumor gains any momentum then I could see Olt going to Fla for Morrison with Morrison taking over LF. That would then free up Lake to be traded to KC for what ever they are thinking.

I would not have liked that personally. Olt's stock has taken a huge hit the past year, but Morrison is not the answer in left. Honestly would rather throw Olt out into the OF and see how he responds.

I hope they keep Baez. Power, bat speed, and compared to Garry Sheffield. Soler is my biggest pick to bust. I'd dump him in a trade first. Almora I think will be a nice, singles hitter. Like Ryan Theriot with more walks and slightly more speed. Theriot had wheels, but not that fast.

Jurickson Profar is still on the lists of many in terms of prospects. Then they still have great pitching behind him.

Stop focusing on who has the better farm system and moreso on who makes it to the bigs better. Especially since the plan is to keep them all right now.

I want more superior pitching, cubs balked twice at it, I'm okay with it with Bryant. Cubs I believe will lament picking Almora over Appel

However, we don't know if Appel would have signed with the Cubs last year. That was the reason he was there at pick #6. I agree, I wanted pitching this year as well, but in no way will I complain about Bryant. I trust the Cubs as evaluators. If the Cubs do wind up trading Samardzija then hopefully that criticism about the pitching talent is no longer valid. I like when teams like the Jays are shying away because of the price. That tells me the Cubs are going to stick to their guns until they inevitably find a trade partner, in the same manner the Garza situation played out.

Status
Not open for further replies.