The Front Office And Ownership Thread

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Hammel isn't coming back. Hes getting paid by a better team

Maybe so, but the Cubs do have about 60 million to play with this year which could be significant pieces, and that brings them to a modest 90 million dollar payroll. =)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Maybe so, but the Cubs do have about 60 million to play with this year which could be significant pieces, and that brings them to a modest 90 million dollar payroll. =)
Cash is good but the Cubs still have to overpay

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
what are the latest articles stating ricketts team payroll max? anything out there recently?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
what are the latest articles stating ricketts team payroll max? anything out there recently?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're looking at what the cubs can spend in payroll I'm assuming it's not changed since Theo has arrived. They've hovered around $105-110 mil the first two years and would have been in that range had they signed Tanaka to what they reportedly offered him. That includes all the 40 man roster and any places where you ate money like Soriano. I mention this because Brett consistently disagrees with the way that's figured but every where I look calculates it that way. Either way, so long as you calculate it the same all the time the differences don't really matter.

An argument could be made they have slightly more than that going into next year since they didn't quite spend to that level this year and they mentioned they could roll some into next year. Also you could make the argument that if the WGN tv contract nets them more money per game that they will have more. I think both of these are likely but I'd still suggest that $110 mil range as a good ball park estimate.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're looking at what the cubs can spend in payroll I'm assuming it's not changed since Theo has arrived. They've hovered around $105-110 mil the first two years and would have been in that range had they signed Tanaka to what they reportedly offered him. That includes all the 40 man roster and any places where you ate money like Soriano. I mention this because Brett consistently disagrees with the way that's figured but every where I look calculates it that way. Either way, so long as you calculate it the same all the time the differences don't really matter.

An argument could be made they have slightly more than that going into next year since they didn't quite spend to that level this year and they mentioned they could roll some into next year. Also you could make the argument that if the WGN tv contract nets them more money per game that they will have more. I think both of these are likely but I'd still suggest that $110 mil range as a good ball park estimate.

As I look at it they could eat Jacksons 22 mil and put it on next years budget thus freeing up 11 mil for payroll the following year. That 22 mil would count against the 110 mil.

Say for argument sake the Cubs eat 20 mil and take a quality arm in return while the other team only has to pay 2 mil for 2 years of Jackson. The Cubs use the current rotation and keep in in-house competition to take Jackson's spot. That is talking about Straily, Durmount, and the other AAA SP (Jokish/Beeler)

That would show payroll up to 90 mil including 40 man commitment. With that amount they could spend the 5 mil to control Fuji to deepen the pen and add a vet LF bat on a 2 year deal.

The worst thing they could do is let players like Sweeney, Lake and Olt keep their jobs after they failed this year to produce.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
thx for responses guys. I was actually asking if there was any reports on how high ricketts will go in a specific year. like a number he wont go over. but the responses you guys gave does help

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dont recall seeing what his max would be but if the plan is to have baez, bryant, Soler and Alcantara playing everyday next season with rizzo, Castro, and Castillo I dont see it going up a whole lot in 2015 because they will be paying the rooks the minimum...

Payroll sits at 31 mil now for 2015, I just dont see them spending over 60-70 mil on bench players, relievers, and 1 or 2 FA starters

So, unless they go hard after lester or a top international player if there is one this off season. Be surprise if payroll reaches 100 mil for 2015 because of all the young players on roster

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
10610679_10153150331538902_478548213011791997_n.jpg

10547570_10153150331598902_5636874555143208506_n.jpg

Really excited for the renovations to begin. Street closures as they move the underground water and sewage pipes. Next season will be a lot of fun with all the prospects up, the renovations, and hopefully a FA signing worth being excited about

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
unstuck until there is more discussion generated.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
thx for responses guys. I was actually asking if there was any reports on how high ricketts will go in a specific year. like a number he wont go over. but the responses you guys gave does help

There was never a report out there at what the Cubs limit is and I doubt you will ever see a hard report like that ever because it is no advantage for the Cubs to advertise that. But the front office has clearly stated that the Cubs didn't spend all of the money they could have and that it would be rolled into future baseball operations budgets. So best guess is that the payroll should creep back up to the 2012-2013 levels here though it might not happen in one offseason.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Theo did make the comment(i'd have to look up a cite) they spent every penny they had in 2012/13 though and considering they spent around $110 mil those seasons I think that is a good ballpark figure of what they had. This season presumably the lack of spending at that level was all on not signing Tanaka because they essentially gave $6 mil to Hammel instead of the reported $23 mil they offered him. That $17 mil difference would again put them right around that $105-110 mil range on opening day.

As for next year it's hard to say where they will be. For one we have no idea how much if any rolls over from this year as they have suggested. For two the WGN contract will presumably give them more to spend but who knows how much that is.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Theo did make the comment(i'd have to look up a cite) they spent every penny they had in 2012/13 though and considering they spent around $110 mil those seasons I think that is a good ballpark figure of what they had. This season presumably the lack of spending at that level was all on not signing Tanaka because they essentially gave $6 mil to Hammel instead of the reported $23 mil they offered him. That $17 mil difference would again put them right around that $105

There is quite a bit coming off of the payroll considering no Shark, Soriano, Villy, Hammel, Russell, Bonafacio and a few others even if you add Arb players.

I believe right now, the Cubs are in the 48 million dollar range after arbitration cases, so 110 million leaves the about 62 million to spend if they go back to those levels.

That could be Span, Lester, a good set up man, and a back-up catcher.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
$110 is a realistic budget while they are putting $$$ towards the rehab.

Cog: Arb 3 of 4. Say he gets 1.5 mil
Alcantara: 500k
Soler: 2.667 mil
Olt: 500k
Casto: 6.857 mil
Baez: 500k
Rizzo: 5.286 mil
Castillo Arb1 2 mil
-------------------------
14,524,000 starting 8

Bench:
Watkins 500k
Valaikia 500k
Lopez 500k
Szczur 500k
---------------------------

SP:
Arrieta Arb 1. Guessing 4 mil
Hendricks 500k
Doubront Arb1 1.5 mil He has not had a break out yet.
open
open
--------------------------------

BP:
Rondon 500k
Ramirez: 500k
Wright Arb3 Going with 1.750 mil. Trade candidate.
Strop: Arb2 1.500 mil
Rosscup 500k
Jokish 500k (predicting he takes Wright's spot)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That puts it at 23 players. I see them carrying a OF and a BP arm. Early call Grimm or Schlitter win it out of S/T. The bat I'm predicting they sign a F/A.
Jonny Gomes He made 5 mil last year. Age 34 next year. I see him being the elder player that Jed has been talking about. Year by year and he should get 5-7 mil.

So for those 2 lets say they pay 6,500,000

puts payroll at 32,500,000
Now 2 SP:
If they ink Lester at 130,000,000 for 6. that breaks down to 21,666,667

So 54,000,000

Add 11 mil to pay off Jackson

If they decide to pull Turner's option vs Grimm or others add 500k. 65,500,000

Thing is they could sign Maeda also at 100,000,000 over 7 years avg 14,282,714 say 15 mil per 80 mil payroll aprox.

IMO that is why they need to cut some arb cases going into next year.
Take Valbuena arb3 looking at 2 mil
Wood arb2 looking at 5 mil
Ruggiano arb3 looking at 2.225 mil
nearly 10 mil spent on platoon players and a bad SP.

Beauty is arb cases they can just not offer and they become F/A at no cost to the team.

With Russell and Bryant a summer away it is pointless to tie up roster spots into low trade value players. Gomes should have trade value and some exp to pass on.

Now that is a legit plan. I wouldn't tie up LF when they can just put Bryant out there in 2-3 months with Russell at 3B. They have Cog and Olt who are just stop gaps anyways at low cost and easy to get out of contract.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
edit at 22 players add 500k for a BP arm. They could just retain Jackson for the pen as they are going to have to pay him anyways. Same pay roll obligation. Or add 500k for a pitcher what should product the same.

IDK I'll bet Jackson ends up a pretty good BP arm if given the shot. He has good stuff and coming in to get an out is a different mental set. He can go all out vs trying to conserve to last a pitch count. I'm expecting him to excel. Gut feeling here.