Hinrich to Minnesota for who?

ZombieKevie

Liked Posts:
http://tinyurl.com/c4owd9

what does minesota have that we would want. unless they include Kevin Love of Al Jefferson this would be a dumb deal. maybe if we lose gordon it could work for randy foye or mike miller.

cool007

Liked Posts:
It was for expiring but I don't know if that would matter now though. If we had made that deal about a month and a half ago, we would be able to keep Gordon but oh well.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Minny would be a nice team to deal with. They have Miami's 1st this year I believe which is 18th overall right now. I wouldn't mind a Kirk for a expiring and Miami's pick.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Yea I have been reading this as well today in RealGM. Personally, if we were to trade Kirk, all that I would really want are expiring contracts in return. I think that Pax felt out the market for Hinrich this offseason, so he could guage whether or not he would be comfortable resigning Gordon, since he would be taking the risk of signing BG and not being able to dump Kirk. Looks like there is at least a little interest in Kirk. Let's hope he can guage a little bit more, so we can sign BG and dump teh Captian!

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
The deals floated at the deadline involved expirings or brian cardinal (expiring this year) or both.

It's hard to know exactly what the deal was, if they were forcing cardinal on us I can see why we said no. If we got straight expirings I can still see why we said no, but at least it should have been a real serious discussion.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
The deals floated at the deadline involved expirings or brian cardinal (expiring this year) or both.

It's hard to know exactly what the deal was, if they were forcing cardinal on us I can see why we said no. If we got straight expirings I can still see why we said no, but at least it should have been a real serious discussion.

I think if Minny offered Miami's 1st that Paxson would of done it. Kirk value should be up this summer so maybe a Telfair, Cardinal and Miami's 1st for Kirk could get done.

Kirk might even be dealt in a 3 way to land Bosh. Regardless of if we keep Gordon or not I feel Kirk should be gone.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
The way Kirk has been playing of late I see him netting us something nice. It would be nice to deal with Portland and get some of their young players. Maybe do a Outlaw, Sergio and a pick or Outlaw, Blake and a pick.

Edit:
Who knows Toronto might even want him in the Bosh deal if they trade Bosh. They can go with a Calderon/Kirk back court.

Kirk,Tyrus,one of both 1st and James for Bosh and Kapono

senrad

Liked Posts:
Im confused about the off season schedule. Is the re-signing period before we can make trades or after? What I'm wondering is if we can trade kirk before we have to make a decision on Ben. Could teams renounce their FA's and have cap room for us to move Kirk so we have $$ to sign Ben?

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
senrad wrote:
Im confused about the off season schedule. Is the re-signing period before we can make trades or after? What I'm wondering is if we can trade kirk before we have to make a decision on Ben. Could teams renounce their FA's and have cap room for us to move Kirk so we have $$ to sign Ben?

We can trade Kirk before the FA period begins. July 1st- mid month is wen you the FA period begins though you can't sign anyone until July 14-15 usually

Our best chance to trade Kirk is on draft night IMO.

senrad

Liked Posts:
Ralphb07 wrote:
senrad wrote:

We can trade Kirk before the FA period begins. July 1st- mid month is wen you the FA period begins though you can't sign anyone until July 14-15 usually

Our best chance to trade Kirk is on draft night IMO.

Thanks.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
senrad wrote:

The short answer to your question is yes, but we'd have to trade him to a team that has cap room or non guaranteed salaries and not one that has to match salaries in order to make room for Gordon. There are only a handful of teams who can do that, and those teams will have a lot of talent to sift through as finances will rule much of the NBA off season.

As for the off season schedule it goes basically like this:
First, trading resumes: It starts as soon as your season is over (and the season of the team you are trading with), however, players who have options or are expiring can not be traded until the new year rolls around (so a team with a contract that expires at the end of this season can't trade him in the 2 months between when this season ends and before next season officially starts)

Next comes the draft

Next comes July 1st which is when teams can negotiate with free agents, but they can't officially sign them yet. This is the only period where sign and trades can be worked out for RFAs to avoid having to go through the "matching" process. A team and a FA can agree on an offersheet, but since it's not official a S&T can be worked instead (as with Joe Johnson), once an offersheet is officially signed a S&T can no longer be done.

Next comes 2 weeks into july (roughly, I'm not sure if it's the 3rd monday or 2 weeks exactly or what), which is the period where FAs can officially sign all the agreements they made during the first 2 weeks.

Next comes July 23rd, this is the deadline to withdraw a qualifying offer which is significant if you are negotiating with a premier free agent and have a QO extended. Prior to this point you could revoke the QO immediately and sign the the other guy, but after this point you can't revoke the QO and remove the RFAs cap hold. This will be important in 2010 if we have cap space and Tyrus is still here.