The Cubs Hot Stove Action Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rumors are circulating that Seattle is sniffing around for Shark and Russell package. Cubs are reportedly still standing strong on a strong package for them.

Hultzen if he can ever stay healthy is quite interesting. Paxton as well. I doubt they move Walker but those two would be an interesting start.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Hultzen if he can ever stay healthy is quite interesting. Paxton as well. I doubt they move Walker but those two would be an interesting start.

Hultzen is out for 2014.

So he would be directly up Theo's alley of damaged goods who won't be the same as pre-injury. Hultzen looked promising, now no way.....

Taijuan Walker has to be a part of this deal if it has any legs. That's my bar. Add Chris Taylor and James Paxton and on that basis of potential is worth it for boy blunder.

Of course, extending 2 of your best pitchers is completely pointless for a team like the cubs.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hultzen is out for 2014.

So he would be directly up Theo's alley of damaged goods who won't be the same as pre-injury. Hultzen looked promising, now no way.....

Taijuan Walker has to be a part of this deal if it has any legs. That's my bar. Add Chris Taylor and James Paxton and on that basis of potential is worth it for boy blunder.

Of course, extending 2 of your best pitchers is completely pointless for a team like the cubs.

Lol... So you want a potential #1 and two of the other top specs for Shark?

Lolololololol thats fucking hilarious.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Walker isn't an option and hultzrn would be a big risk. After that it's high potential but low level guys. I don't see a match unless they just want russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Walker isn't an option and hultzrn would be a big risk. After that it's high potential but low level guys. I don't see a match unless they just want russell

Overall, I just feel like Hultzen is an interesting option when healthy. He's had 159.2 minor league IP where he had 10.0 k/9 and 4.6 bb/9 and most importantly he's a lefty. His bb/9 is a bit worrisome but he was better in AAA with it where he threw 30.2 IP last year before getting hurt with a 2.05 bb/9. Based off scouting reports before last year people were bullish on his control(40 current with 60 potential).

I'm not sure Paxton and Hultzen are remotely close to enough. If Hultzen weren't injured maybe they would be plus throw ins but to realistically make this work you might need to add a 3rd team because looking at Seattle's top 10 prospects they have a lot of pitching and infield. They aren't going to give away all their pitching depth and the cubs probably aren't that interested in infielders given their stacked depth there. Ideally you would want to find a late top 100 type OF to throw in. They do have Franklin and Ackley whom they've had to move because of Cano. So, you could potentially make it happen but there's probably too many moving parts.

That said, if they can get Hultzen for Russell straight up I'd be all over that. I know some criticize the Maholm trade for Vizcaino trade given that he hasn't pitched but I still love the concept of the trade. If he ever comes back he's got the ability to be one of the better pitchers in the league be it in the rotation or bullpen. They probably could have got a safer prospect with less talent but they have lots of those types in the pipeline already. Hultzen is similar and even if he's too fragile to be a starter as a lefty out of the pen he'd have a lot of value.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overall, I just feel like Hultzen is an interesting option when healthy. He's had 159.2 minor league IP where he had 10.0 k/9 and 4.6 bb/9 and most importantly he's a lefty. His bb/9 is a bit worrisome but he was better in AAA with it where he threw 30.2 IP last year before getting hurt with a 2.05 bb/9. Based off scouting reports before last year people were bullish on his control(40 current with 60 potential).

I'm not sure Paxton and Hultzen are remotely close to enough. If Hultzen weren't injured maybe they would be plus throw ins but to realistically make this work you might need to add a 3rd team because looking at Seattle's top 10 prospects they have a lot of pitching and infield. They aren't going to give away all their pitching depth and the cubs probably aren't that interested in infielders given their stacked depth there. Ideally you would want to find a late top 100 type OF to throw in. They do have Franklin and Ackley whom they've had to move because of Cano. So, you could potentially make it happen but there's probably too many moving parts.

That said, if they can get Hultzen for Russell straight up I'd be all over that. I know some criticize the Maholm trade for Vizcaino trade given that he hasn't pitched but I still love the concept of the trade. If he ever comes back he's got the ability to be one of the better pitchers in the league be it in the rotation or bullpen. They probably could have got a safer prospect with less talent but they have lots of those types in the pipeline already. Hultzen is similar and even if he's too fragile to be a starter as a lefty out of the pen he'd have a lot of value.

Shoulder problems are a lot scarier to me then elbow.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Shoulder problems are a lot scarier to me then elbow.

Clearly. But the fact remains its taking a risk on a player who could be a big gain. Like I said I'm not saying he's worth the #24 pitcher he was before last year. But as another piece in a package? I'd take the chance on him. You probably need Paxton + a top 100 player + Hultzen + throw in to make it work. But I find that sort of package as interesting if not more than say Sanchez + others not including Stroman from the jays. And being that appears to be be the offer out there, it' an interesting package. Or as I said, Russell for Hultzen if that's all they'd do.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
....IDK. Hulzen maybe. He seems to have ace potential.

Seattle is playing all in this year so the time might be ripe to deal with them.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...pect-danny-hultzen-undergoes-shoulder-surgery

Left-hander Danny Hultzen, the second overall pick in the 2011 draft, had shoulder surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews in Florida on Tuesday, the Mariners announced. The procedure cleaned up his labrum and repaired partial tears in his rotator cuff and capsule. The team did not give a timetable for his return.

"This is very unfortunate for Danny and his family, but we have nothing but high hopes for a good recovery and rehab," said GM Jack Zduriencik in a statement. "Danny is a tireless worker and will do everything he can to get back on the mound to start competing again."

Hultzen, 23, missed two months with a rotator cuff strain and tendinitis earlier this season. He returned to the mound in late June before experiencing more discomfort after just two appearances. Hultzen pitched in one game in early September before being shut down for good. It goes without saying that shoulder surgery is never a good thing for a pitcher.

In seven minor-league starts this season, Hultzen had a 2.02 ERA with a 10.6 K/9 and 1.8 BB/9 in 35 2/3 innings. He pitched to a 3.05 ERA with 9.9 K/9 and 5.4 BB/9 in 124 innings at the Double-A and Triple-A levels last summer.

Baseball America ranked Hultzen as the 18th-best prospect in baseball before the season. The Mariners paid him a $6.35 million signing bonus as the second pick in the draft in 2011. The Pirates took Gerrit Cole first overall.

With the Cubs they are going to suck this year regardless. Shark will be going into his final year in Baez's first full year and I do not expect for the Cubs to extend him with their history. If a potential trade in is out there even injured they have to look into it.

Now I would not expect a 1 for 1 deal. I could see Danny Hultzen and Erasmo Jose Ramirez. Ramirez could become lost in the shuffle with Walker and James Paxton filling in the 4/5 roles.

It would be a decent return.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Lol... So you want a potential #1 and two of the other top specs for Shark?

I'll settle for Kyle Seager to upgrade Barney at 2nd/take over 3rd when Olt busts, Hultzen, and Paxton......

Of course, getting major league talent back is completely out of the question. Players have to be in the minors, pitcher have to have jerker's elbow/other major injuries, and batters need to be 25 year old 'never was' at the ML level--but they can mash away at the minro levels.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Emilio Bonifacio Clears Release Waivers

So the earlier debate about trading anything for him is now moot. He'd be a clear upgrade at 2B and gives a ton of flexibility. Hope they sign him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So the earlier debate about trading anything for him is now moot. He'd be a clear upgrade at 2B and gives a ton of flexibility. Hope they sign him.

They should have DFA Barney instead of paying him over 2 million.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
They should have DFA Barney instead of paying him over 2 million.

They are hoping that Barney gets his average up to .265-.270, and then package him in a deal for a team needing a player and defensive or late inning defensive help.

I doubt he is here all year long.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are hoping that Barney gets his average up to .265-.270, and then package him in a deal for a team needing a player and defensive or late inning defensive help.

I doubt he is here all year long.

Hopefully because Alcantara and Baez are coming.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Hopefully because Alcantara and Baez are coming.

That just shows you the current state of the team when their is nothing better to play 2B than Darwin Barney. Granted he can play defense, but his offense is downright horrible.

I look for Baez to take over at mid-season, Barney to be dealt, and If Alcantara comes up, to be playing CF.

Who knows, maybe they will trade Castro too?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Rosenthal and a few others reporting that Cubs reached a minor-league deal with infielder Emilio Bonifacio. I'll update once there's an official release or something more concrete then a 6 word tweet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs sign Emilio Bonifacio
Updated: February 15, 2014, 12:24 PM ET
By Jesse Rogers | ESPNChicago.com
EMAIL
PRINT
MESA, Ariz. -- The Chicago Cubs have signed infielder/outfielder Emilio Bonifacio to a minor league deal, the team confirmed Sunday.

Bonifacio, 28, played for the Toronto Blue Jays and Kansas City Royals last season, appearing in 136 games while batting .243 with three home runs and 31 RBIs. The switch-hitter has a career .262 batting average in seven major league seasons.

Bonifacio, who also had 28 stolen bases last season, was released by the Royals on Wednesday.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Temping to plug him in at 2B as the starter. His career OBA is at .322. Last year had 28 SB. Pushes Castro back to #2 which is more natural for him.

I do not see much bad with this.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Temping to plug him in at 2B as the starter. His career OBA is at .322. Last year had 28 SB. Pushes Castro back to #2 which is more natural for him.

I do not see much bad with this.

And sadly that sums up how truly horrific this organization has gotten that bad can't be found from a player that one of the two worst franchises over the last 25 years, the Kansas City Royals, couldn't find a place on their 40 man roster for.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish