Pax for GM of the Year!?

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Ok, I knew that a post with a title like this would get your attention! So I am reading Sam Smith yesterday and Sam made some very good points about why Paxson should be in consideration for GM of the year! Now, I like most of you would of thought this was the most crazy ideas in history, however, as Sam can do, he makes some very good arguments, which have me thinking, he MIGHT just have a point!

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_090330.html

Read Sams comments on top moves of the season. Though I would say the Billips/Iverson trade is the #1 move of the season (in Denvers favor), the Bulls Salmons/Miller trade must be #2 right after that. The Bulls have won 7 of their last 9 games. Taking out the first 3 games since the trade, the Bulls are 10 of 16! They were like 3 games short of the playoffs before the trade and are firmly in the 8th spot now, with a good chance of moving up! I felt going into the season the Bulls biggest issues were a clogged up backcourt, a cancer in the lockeroom that was spreading (larry Hugues), the lack of a athletic wing guy who can penetrate and score and NO low post scorer what so ever! Well with one deal, Paxson solved all of this, and though Miller is not a long term solution, he certiantly adds a dynamic to this team in the short term which we did not have before. Taking talent aside, Paxson was able to drop Noccioni's long term deal and bring in a contributer with a more managable contract (though it could inflate with an extention, that is DESERVED) and a large expriing contract in miller. Both talentwise and financially, the Bulls look a hell of alot better now then they did Nov 1. This has me thinking, should John Paxson be GM Of the year?

fola

Liked Posts:
no.

At least that was my initial thought. But after thinking about it for a min.... why not? Personally, i think that he has more to do with the turn around then VDN becoming a 'better' coach. So, taking that into account, Pax should be in the convo. Conversely though, if im giving Pax most of the credit for the turn around, is it fair to give.. or right to no give him most of the blame for the first half of the season? probably not, but i dont care. So, yes.. throw Pax in the derby, although i dont think he should/will win.

cool007

Liked Posts:
No, it will probably be Cavs GM for bringing in Mo Williams and then Joe Smith.

Especially since they will have the best record in the NBA.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
It depends what they go by. If they look more at the deals over the record then Paxson should be in it with the deal he made. I'm really not sure what GM should win it to be honest. You can say Ferry for getting Williams but they have Lebron and won 50+ games the past 3-4 years.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
that's gotta be the joke of the year.

better candidates:
ferry (cavs) - although i think he kinda lucked into it. he kept trying various things till something worked
otis smith (magic) - for the alston trade
mark warkentien (nuggets) - lost camby to save money yet managed to improve the team
kevin pritchard (blazers) - such a young team and already so good
and even
pat riley (heat) - former 15 wins team turned into playoff team (although i'd say it had more to do with wade coming back than with any of the trades riles made)

Kush77

Liked Posts:
It's probably going to be Ferry. Executive of the Year tends to go to a GM who's team wins big, and winning big as a result of a trade. Like when Krause won it in 1996 for getting Rodman. Ainge last year.

As for Paxson, the deadline deals were great. I've ripped Paxson a lot this year, but the Salmons/Miller trade made things a lot more interesting this season.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Pax has had a good year as a GM IMO, however, Denver and Cleveland have made big trades that have helped them and those teams are good. I don't see how you could put Pax above either.

While our one trade is good in both a long term and short term sense, I think most voters will wouldn't take into account a lot of the long term benefits for the team. Anyway, it's hard to give the Bulls too much credit for going from 33 wins to maybe 39-41 wins after getting hte #1 pick in the draft.

collisrost

Liked Posts:
Pax was close to locking this one up when he almost pulled off the Amare trade. Just based on the Salmons Miller trade he's probably deserving of some appreciation, but not GMOY.