Tyrus Thomas 4th in Steals + Blocks - WOW!!!

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
collisrost wrote:
Granted, the coach on a contending team wouldn't use Tyrus the way Vinny is using him. He certainly wouldn't be allowed to take all those jumpers if he were one, say, the Cavs.

In a must win game, I'm not sure I want Tyrus shooting a lot of jumpers, over the course of the season, I'm very happy that he does it.

If you're a successful power forward in the NBA you have that shot in your arsenal. How many great PFs can't hit a 17 footer consistently? There aren't many. Tyrus is getting there, we've seen him improve tremendously with it.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
collisrost wrote:
Granted, the coach on a contending team wouldn't use Tyrus the way Vinny is using him. He certainly wouldn't be allowed to take all those jumpers if he were one, say, the Cavs.

In a must win game, I'm not sure I want Tyrus shooting a lot of jumpers, over the course of the season, I'm very happy that he does it.

If you're a successful power forward in the NBA you have that shot in your arsenal. How many great PFs can't hit a 17 footer consistently? There aren't many. Tyrus is getting there, we've seen him improve tremendously with it.

Tyrus has a great first step and that jumper will make it even easier to get to the lane. I agree with you too that in a must win game I don't want him taking too many.

collisrost

Liked Posts:
Oh yeah I'm not uipset that given our present circumstances Tyrus is allowed to shoot that jumper. We're trying to develop him, not to win a chanpionship this year. I just think if the sircumstances were different and we were gunning for a championship the coach would play to our players established strengths rather than trying to develop young players with an eye to the future by sacrificing wins now.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
collisrost wrote:
Oh yeah I'm not uipset that given our present circumstances Tyrus is allowed to shoot that jumper. We're trying to develop him, not to win a chanpionship this year. I just think if the sircumstances were different and we were gunning for a championship the coach would play to our players established strengths rather than trying to develop young players with an eye to the future by sacrificing wins now.

I certainly can't argue with that. If we were trying to win a championship, Derrick Rose wouldn't play so much either. People hate to hear it, but Derrick is playing a lot of entitlement minutes too. He has moments of sheer dominance, but long stretches of really poor play defensively while being passive on offense.

Not that I have a problem with Rose's playing time. I think it's awesome that we've taken the develop him at all costs road this year. He's taken tons of clutch shots at end of games and missed almost all of them, but he's going to be used to pressure now. He's going to integrate into the league faster. He's going to know exactly what to work on in the summer.

It's been great that we've done it, and he's still been good on the whole, but he's only scratching the surface, and to get everything out of him you have to take your lumps at some point. Better to take them early, and if Tyrus is going to be a good player we should have taken our lumps with him early too.

Instead, we're now paying for the fact that we didn't give him enough run in 06/07 and 07/08. 06/07 has an excuse of high expectations and a 2nd round playoff run, 07/08 was pure idiociy.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
The problem with Tyrus is we don't have time for him to take his lumps

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
The problem with Tyrus is we don't have time for him to take his lumps

We don't? What else have we got going on? We've done it this year, and it's worked out really well. Another year of 30 minutes a night, and we'll see what Tyrus has just in time to extend him.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Im just going off what your predicting Rose to become next year. Tyrus won't reach his full potential for another 3 years, while Rose needs some star power to play alongside him. Your not going to get that at center and likely not at small forward position. So your two options are either shooting guard or power forward. Look if the Bulls get Dwayne wade or Joe Johnson I think you can contend for NBA title with core of that, but its probably not going to happen

Gen.discomfort

Liked Posts:
Although Tyrus isn't a great on the ball defender(maybe a terrible one,like when hes guarding a 3 point shooter) he is still a great player to have on defense. He's the best off ball and help defender we have and that helps a lot on d. When he's playing with a lot of energy he causes havoc for the other teams offense.

As for the jumper, i think next year we will see a better shooting avg. out of him. He has a nice stroke, and it will develop soon. When he starts making that, he can use that shotfake move that im sure Brad showed him.Just a lot faster.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
Are you serious you actually think Tyrus is good help defender? Maybe you should start watching some bulls games. Hopefully he won't be on the team next year

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
Im just going off what your predicting Rose to become next year. Tyrus won't reach his full potential for another 3 years, while Rose needs some star power to play alongside him. Your not going to get that at center and likely not at small forward position. So your two options are either shooting guard or power forward. Look if the Bulls get Dwayne wade or Joe Johnson I think you can contend for NBA title with core of that, but its probably not going to happen

It's a good point if we have the option to move Tyrus for a star PF then we should take it. If not, then we continue to play Tyrus big minutes and hope.

Gen.discomfort

Liked Posts:
yeah he is. Tyrus isn't the smartest on the floor, but he does help a lot on defense. better having him on the floor than tim thomas, or that crap 4 guard line up.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Dpauley23 wrote:
The question is would you move Tyrus for star sg?

I'd trade Tyrus to get a star at any position as long as that star was 28 or younger.

Gen.discomfort

Liked Posts:
I don't know if he's gonna block the shot everytime gaurds penetrate, but hes always looking to do so.
As for moving tyrus, i would take a star sg. Despite my blind tyrus love i would take a number of star shooting gaurds for him.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
He gets all of his blocks from people posting him up weakside help. He never steps in front of guard pentrating into the lane

collisrost

Liked Posts:
You've gotta move Tyrus to get a star no matter which position. If you have a couple of stars you can always bring in guys on the midlevel, in trade, or sign ring chasers to fill out the roster. There's dozens of examples of teams making small moves to take them over the top once they have a couple of established stars.