Bulls to "Go Green" for first-ever NBA Green Week

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
April 7, 2009 – The Chicago Bulls announced today their participation in the inaugural NBA Green Week 2009 by hosting an in-arena “Go Green” awareness night on Thursday, April 9 during their game vs. the Philadelphia 76ers. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.

To promote environmental education, the team will wear hunter green-colored uniforms as well as 100 percent organic cotton adidas shooting shirts featuring the NBA Green logo. Other efforts planned to encourage fans to implement green habits will include:

* The Citizens Utility Board, Illinois’ utility watchdog group since 1984, will give away 20,000 energy-saving light bulbs to fans at the exit gates;
* A display, courtesy of the Citizens Utility Board, on the 300 level concourse will educate fans on environmental issues;
* The City of Chicago Department of Environment and Chicago 2016 will have displays on the 100 level concourse promoting recycling;
* Volunteers will be on the concourse near trash cans reminding fans to recycle;
* Game entertainment and music will have an environmental theme;
* Ten Green tips will be featured on the scoreboard throughout the game;
* Benny the Bull will debut an environmentally themed skit;
* All arena employees will wear specially designed badges reminding fans about protecting the environment.

In an effort to be more environmentally conscious, the Bulls launched a team-wide effort in the summer of 2008 to improve the environmental performance of the organization. The “Go Green” initiative addresses environmental conservation policies within the Bulls offices as well as promotes and educates fans with ways they can help. On April 3, the team opened a Green Reading & Technology Corner at Pope John Paul II Catholic School. The newly renovated space was constructed entirely with environmentally friendly materials and energy efficient computers.

Also, beginning at 8:30 a.m. on April 9, members of the Bulls organization as well as Bob Love and Benny the Bull will team up with volunteers from Chicago Public Schools, CleanSlate and Chicago 2016 to host a cleanup event for the areas surrounding the United Center.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/community/gogreen_090409.html?rss=true

green_090409.jpg

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
I hope they dont give our guys a rash :laugh:
Is that Linton Johnsons old jersey?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Wow, we're the Chicago Bucks now.

I hate most environmentalist movements.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Re:Bulls to

dougthonus wrote:

Yea i just noticed they have that forest green color, i at first thought they were a lighter shade of black.

Fred

Liked Posts:

I'm speechless. This could be the dumbest idea since we traded Brand for Chandler. You know, we should really go green and play the game by candlelight. The last time the league went progressive, we were left with Valerie Palmer. If they replace my Kosher's Best with soy dogs, I'm going to personally fly to San Francisco and beat up every hippie I can find.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:

Does that mean they are moving the team to Racine or something?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

TheStig wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Does that mean they are moving the team to Racine or something?

Move the team to Racine. Outstanding idea.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:

Fred wrote:
I'm speechless. This could be the dumbest idea since we traded Brand for Chandler. You know, we should really go green and play the game by candlelight. The last time the league went progressive, we were left with Valerie Palmer. If they replace my Kosher's Best with soy dogs, I'm going to personally fly to San Francisco and beat up every hippie I can find.

You mean Violet Palmer? And I know that name because it is the name of the worst ref in the league, and i'm not being sexist at all.

cool007

Liked Posts:

So why not go with different color every game???

What's next, a skyblue jersey when the sky is really blue. Or when it rains, how about multi-color jersey to celebrate Rainbow day?

ryguy24

Liked Posts:

Speaking of Violet Palmer, wasn't that her who called it a 3 shot foul when Kirk fouled Arenas on an inbounds (after we scored) and Gil nonchalantly flicked the ball 3/4ths court for the hell of it like 2 seconds after the foul? I remember being livid over that. That was some serious continuation haha.

cool007

Liked Posts:

ryguy24 wrote:
Speaking of Violet Palmer, wasn't that her who called it a 3 shot foul when Kirk fouled Arenas on an inbounds (after we scored) and Gil nonchalantly flicked the ball 3/4ths court for the hell of it like 2 seconds after the foul? I remember being livid over that. That was some serious continuation haha.

I remember that like it was yesterday.

I just hate those type of refs - especially violet palmer. She is just awful and no one likes her - none of the teams fans like her but she is still there. CHEAP NBA.

gustavsteim

dougthonus wrote:

What bothers me is that it's usually a hollow gesture when big sports franchises put on a show for one cause or another. I'm sure they burned a ton of gas and wasted tons of packaging getting all this stuff to the UC.

But I'm not sure I follow why that makes the movement to, you know, prevent killing the planet a bad thing.

Fred, please don't beat me up.

NOELAD82

Liked Posts:
Agreed that’s just an ugly look. And how the hell does any of this extravagance help the environment? Think of all the energy and resources used to produce this entire marketing BS. The entire environmental movement today is being raped by business and corporations...which is fine with me.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

gustavsteim wrote:
But I'm not sure I follow why that makes the movement to, you know, prevent killing the planet a bad thing.

I don't think the idea of protecting the planet is bad. I think the way people push environmental agendas often is. Much of the stuff they try to push is moronic and has basically no effect on the environment at all.

It seems like we aim our environmental goals poorly frequently. Everything they're doing reeks of publicity stunt rather than actually caring for the environment.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I just hate those type of refs - especially violet palmer. She is just awful and no one likes her - none of the teams fans like her but she is still there. CHEAP NBA.

I think a lot of it is that Palmer gets targeted. It's easy to remember the chick ref, but it's hard to distinguish between the 50-100 other old guy refs.

Though I have heard she tested out really low in the ref rating system, so that may not be entirely true. Either way, I'd suggest she certainly gets extra scrutiny.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:
gustavsteim wrote:

I don't think the idea of protecting the planet is bad. I think the way people push environmental agendas often is. Much of the stuff they try to push is moronic and has basically no effect on the environment at all.

It seems like we aim our environmental goals poorly frequently. Everything they're doing reeks of publicity stunt rather than actually caring for the environment.
Just for anyone who doesn't know, this is Doug's daily driver :p
triple_axle_hummer_limo.jpg

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Re:Bulls to "Go Green" for first-ever NBA Green We

There was actually 2 female refs that started at the beginning of the 97-98 season.

Violet Palmer (who is bad), she doesn't know the difference between an offensive foul and a block. And Dee Kantner or Kanter? She was let go after year three or four.

Those green jerseys are something else. like DT said, 70's Milwaukee Bucks there.

And I agree with DT about stunts. How does this really help matters? I'm not sure.

Fred

Liked Posts:

ryguy24 wrote:
You mean Violet Palmer? And I know that name because it is the name of the worst ref in the league, and i'm not being sexist at all.

Her too.

rodman

Liked Posts:
Message to the Bulls merchandising department: Bulls are not a team meant to wear green!

Why not just go to 100% organic cotton with the normal jerseys. Cotton ist much more comfortable than that polyester stuff. I hate those polyester ones.