Deng suffers setback for Bulls

cool007

Liked Posts:
Exactly, I see Portland as the destination for both Deng and Hinrich - especially if Portland doesn't have a good playoffs and their weakness at PG/SF shows up big time in the playoffs, then they would feel that if they fill those 2 needs, they can easily be contenders on LEGIT level.

SPurs are almost done and Lakers will be aging in a hurry, Rockets are good regular seaosn team and nothing great in playoffs. Utah is in bubble with re-signing Boozer/Millsap. Hornets will be in money saving mode.

So if Blazers can take advantage of their cap this summer - they are probably 2nd best team in the west next year.

Imagine: Hinrich/Roy/Deng/Aldridge/Oden lineup next year with some solid pieces off the bench. Hinrich and Deng really compliments SO WELL with that group that it will mesh like crazy. Hinrich/Deng gives them defense something blazers have been missing and inconsistent with.

Besides, Blazers have so many guys in needing playing time, they can unload few players to bring Kirk/Deng in and it's a win win for both teams.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
No sane GM will touch Loul Deng until the trading deadline next season. And Deng will have look like the guy that fans and general managers got really excited about. There is just no real incentive for a team to take such a huge gamble.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
I'm a huge proponent of buying low and selling high, so that's why I am against trading Deng before trying to trade Kirk. Of all the times to try and trade a guy, I just hate it that we always try to do so when their value is at an all-time low. Maybe he will never bring in a haul, but if we just let the guy show he's healthy, he can bring in alot more than anything now. I mean, think about it. We are trying to get value for a player who has played atrociously, who just signed a huge contract, and who has serious injury issues he's dealing with. I'm not sure that there can be a worse time to try and trade someone...

Edit: I'm sure Kirk's recent good play has caught the attention of teams looking for a PG, so it just makes more sense to try and deal him since someone will actually want him (and not consider acquiring him a huge risk like Deng). Trading both guys accomplishes the same thing (2010), so you might as well and try to maximize your value, whether it's getting that extra draft pick or getting a decent player in return with an expiring.

Scott_UK

Liked Posts:
As a brit, I don't think Deng should be playing for us this summer.

As has been said above there is nothing important for him to play for. The GB coaches will probably come up with something about team bonding, etc, etc.. but if, and it's a big if, Deng can get him self 100% healthy then maybe the season that he was supposed to have could happen next season. As you guys have said nobody is likely to take him off our hands as he is injury prone, so we might aswell take him out and let him start towards getting healthy now, it's not going to cost us anymore.

If he comes back for us in the post season he isn't going to be anywere near 100% healthy, yes he can fill in the minutes where needed, but this is going to mean a longer "rehab" time and is it really going to be worth it? Would he actually produce or just be another body on the floor? Aren't we improved already without him? Do you think that if we did have him on the bench that VDN would put him in and not take him out when he's not producing, flogging a dead horse perhaps? We have seen VDN take out the hot hand at the wrong time, is it possible he could do the opposite?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Deng but I don't believe in forcing something that I really cant see happening.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
If Deng can play in the playoffs, I say play him 3rd string behind Tim Thomas. Seriously, at this point, what is the real difference bettern Thomas and Deng. Neither can play defense, both settle on outside shots (though Thomas can shoot a 3). Listen, Deng is better then Thomas, all things considered, but since Deng hasnt played in a few months, especially not having played since the trade, he should be very limited in the playoffs, if he is ready to go at all.

That being said...I hate you Luol Deng.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
There is NO good destination for Deng. Now that Isiah Thomas is no longer in the leauge, there is no team dumb enough to take on Deng's contract. Why would Portland want Deng when they have Travis Outlaw playing better (keep in mind he only is playing like 25 min a night) and at a fraction of the price. Until the magical contract ferry can revise Deng's contract from 6 yrs 80 million to 3 years, 18 million, deng aint going anywhere!