Deng suffers setback for Bulls

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
All who cover the Bulls regularly had the same reaction when the news release stating they had re-signed Linton Johnson III for the rest of the season broke: Luol Deng's season remains in serious jeopardy.

Deng then confirmed he had suffered more pain in the stress fracture in his right tibia after a recent workout. Deng said he would take the rest of the week off and given that he hasn't played since Feb. 28 and isn't in game shape, next week's final two regular-season games are out.

Deng's only hope is to possibly return for the playoffs.

"I haven't even sprinted yet," Deng said. "But even if I'm capable of getting back to play five or 10 minutes, that could help. These guys have been playing a lot of minutes."

Tim Thomas also will miss Tuesday's game against the Knicks because of a family situation.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/fullcourtpress/

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I think the Bulls should just shut Deng down for the rest of the season and pray that Tim Thomas stays healthy.

I don't think Deng playing like crap in the playoffs in limited minutes can be good for the Bulls or for Deng's value.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
I know he's a nice guy and everything, but if the Bulls get a chance to unload this guy, they have to take it. I'm so tired of him not playing, and then when he does play, he's completely underwhelming. It blows my mind we gave him the big contract over Gordon.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
I think the Bulls should just shut Deng down for the rest of the season and pray that Tim Thomas stays healthy.

I don't think Deng playing like crap in the playoffs in limited minutes can be good for the Bulls or for Deng's value.

If he's healthy enough to play we should keep him on the playoff roster. There's no advantage to shutting him down as we won't gain anything out of it.

Might as well keep our options open even if it seems unlikely that we'll use him again. All that's really changing is that fans get annoyed when they hear an update instead of getting to forget about him.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
All I have to say is that if we see Deng play for GB this summer, I am going to lose it. He better work hard with a strength training coach and really build himself up after the nagging injuries the last couple of years. I want to see Deng come back a 100% and earn his check like he has in the past. Hopefully work on his 3pt shot too.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Dang Deng. What happened this season to our #2 guy? I say we dress him for the playoffs and see if he can be atleast 70% healthy.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Some of the hostility towards Deng is unwarranted. I see no reason not to try and play him if he is ready even if it is for small minutes. With that said he should not play this summer for GB. As for him the player we have him locked up, we should not trade him at low value this summer. When healthy he has value at the SF position and is still young enough to be a very solid player for us along with Rose, Salmons, Deng, Kirk, Noah and hopefully either Amare or Bosh.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
If he can play then he would be nice to have on the playoff roster coming off the bench. But I don't think he'll be healthy, he just an injury-prone player. And we're stuck with his deal, I can't see anyone taking it.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
If he can play then he would be nice to have on the playoff roster coming off the bench. But I don't think he'll be healthy, he just an injury-prone player. And we're stuck with his deal, I can't see anyone taking it.
I really think he is just worn down from playing with the GB team, he didn't have these injury problems earlier in his career. Same thing with Kirk when he played with team USA, he just really looked tired the following year. These guys aren't freaks of nature, they need their rest and to work on strength training in the offseason.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty indifferent right now when it comes to Luol. I'm assuming that he is getting paid about double what hes actually worth. I wouldn't mind seeing him playing some limited minutes in the playoffs, looking halfway decent in a bench role anyway.

I would actually trade him for cap relief in a heartbeat. I just don't see him staying healthy, and even if he does, scoring more then 15 points per game and grabbing 4 or 5 rebounds is not going to happen, IMHO. 15 and 5 is not worth 72 mil. If we can package him with some picks and another player for a star, even better.

collisrost

Liked Posts:
It's always better to have more quality players available for the playoffs, and recovering from an injry or not, Deng's quality. I hope he's healthy enough to sit on the bench and play spot minutes if needed in the playoffs.

Regarding the Great Britain commitments, I very much doubt Deng will play for them this summer since I believe there's nothing really important to play for. They are in the 2012 Olympics, and any minor european summer tournament can't be that important to Deng.

cool007

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

If he's healthy enough to play we should keep him on the playoff roster. There's no advantage to shutting him down as we won't gain anything out of it.

Might as well keep our options open even if it seems unlikely that we'll use him again. All that's really changing is that fans get annoyed when they hear an update instead of getting to forget about him.

I agree with Doug completely.

I would not shut him down - especially now that we are making the playoffs and Deng can probably give us solid 8-10 minutes a game and that should be good enough.

However, Deng is OFFICIALLY an injury prone player - I feel really sad and bad but that is what it is.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
All I have to say is that if we see Deng play for GB this summer, I am going to lose it. He better work hard with a strength training coach and really build himself up after the nagging injuries the last couple of years. I want to see Deng come back a 100% and earn his check like he has in the past. Hopefully work on his 3pt shot too.

Be prepared to be pissed.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
However, Deng is OFFICIALLY an injury prone player - I feel really sad and bad but that is what it is.

Maybe, I don't think the book is out though. The last 2 seasons are scary because back and leg problems are related. Prior to that I wouldn't have bought into it because the wrist was a fluke thing, and that was his only other substantial injury.

If he ends up having to get the surgery in 2 months and the misses all off season of workouts and camp/regular season then I'm going to be pissed, and right now that sure seems like a possibility.

cool007

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

Maybe, I don't think the book is out though. The last 2 seasons are scary because back and leg problems are related. Prior to that I wouldn't have bought into it because the wrist was a fluke thing, and that was his only other substantial injury.

If he ends up having to get the surgery in 2 months and the misses all off season of workouts and camp/regular season then I'm going to be pissed, and right now that sure seems like a possibility.

It doesn't seem like he will have a surgery until the offseason and then it will take him few months to rehab and get back in shape and then work on his game but it won't happen until like 2 months into the season next year.

I am just hoping that we can ship him out and not worry about him and his injury anymore and let the other team deal with it (Toronto?).

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I don't know that we could move Deng right now without taking back really bad contracts.

cool007

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I don't know that we could move Deng right now without taking back really bad contracts.

He is still young and has really good potential and he is a favorite of a lot of GMs (so is Hinrich) and they might think that Deng may blossom on their teams or in their system???

If we can ship out Nocioni, we should not have too much trouble shipping out Deng - especially if we can include picks and maybe expiring to go with it???

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
The same reasons a lot of GMs liked Deng was the same reason we liked Deng in the past.

We don't like Deng now, why do you think GMs haven't changed their opinions as well? In this economic climate there aren't going to be many teams buying players for expiring deals or short term deals, so it's hard to see someone buying Deng.

If we include expirings and take back long term salary as well or include picks or other incentives then yes, you could move him, but you're basically saying that you want to dump assets just to get Deng off the team.

Is it that critical to move Deng that you want to make your team worse in order to do it?

TheStig

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
TheStig wrote:

Be prepared to be pissed.
Seriously, I can't believed we invested 71 Million in a guy who treats us as a second priority. The bulls have been nothing but good to him and they are second fiddle to a team who shouldn't even be in the Olympics.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
The same reasons a lot of GMs liked Deng was the same reason we liked Deng in the past.

We don't like Deng now, why do you think GMs haven't changed their opinions as well? In this economic climate there aren't going to be many teams buying players for expiring deals or short term deals, so it's hard to see someone buying Deng.

If we include expirings and take back long term salary as well or include picks or other incentives then yes, you could move him, but you're basically saying that you want to dump assets just to get Deng off the team.

Is it that critical to move Deng that you want to make your team worse in order to do it?
I would think Portland would take an interest in Kirk and Deng if there aren't very many other options available. They have tons of money to overpay and underpreformer as long as they are a good fit with their group.