Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel traded to Oakland Athletics for Addison Russell plus

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Tom Loxas of the Loxas Factor, the Chicago Cubs and Baltimore Orioles have talked about a Jeff Samardzija/Matt Wieters base trade. Loxas did not mention if the talks are ongoing and if the talks progressed. The trade will be bigger than just Samardzija/Wieters and more players will be added.

The Cubs went into the off-season with the mindset of shopping and possibly trading 28-year old Samardzija. Samardzija had a good first half last season, but then fell off the face of the earth during the second half of the season. Last season, Samardzija went 8-13 with a 4.34 earn run average, 210 strikeouts and walked 78 batters. Samardzija can strikeout a batter at any time, but can also lose the strike zone at anytime as well.

General Manager Jed Hoyer said the Cubs would like to sign Samardzija to an extension more than trade him. However, Samardzija is stuck on wanting a no-trade cause and the Cubs will not even think of giving him one. That may be the reason for Samardzija's departure and why he's playing for another team come next season. Samardzija can have ace stuff if he puts it all together, but in reality, he's more of a number three starter in the rotation.

The Orioles, on the other hand, are in the need of a starting pitcher. But would need to clear payroll and why Wieters name was brought up in trade talks. Wieters struggled last year, but is still only 27-years old. Last season, Wieters had a line of .235/.287/.417 with 22 home runs, 79 runs batted in, 43 walks and struck out 104 times. Wieters is also not a bad catcher behind the plate.

The trade will be bigger than just Samardzija and Wieters. The Cubs will more than likely throw in 26-year old catcher Welington Castillo (per Loxas) and the Orioles will have to part with one of their top pitching prospects Dylan Bundy or Kevin Gausman. Bundy is out as he is recovering from Tommy John Surgery, so I don't know if the Cubs would want to take a chance on him.

The Cubs will head to the Winter Meetings in a couple weeks with the mindset of trading Samardzija and not leaving Orlando with him still on their roster. Samardzija is more attractable since he still have 2-years on his contract before he hits free agency.

Other teams with known interest in Samardzija ... Arizona Diamondbacks, Washington Nationals, Toronto Blue Jays and the Pittsburgh Pirates. Cubs Den reports the Diamondbacks are falling out of the Samardzija pursuit.

The Samardzija rumors will not go away and the heat to the rumors are just about to begin. Stay Tuned!

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/1...oles-have-talked-jeff-samardzijamatt-wieters/

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs/Baltimore Orioles Have Talked Jeff Samardzija/Matt Wieters

I would take bundy in a heart beat.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Interesting trade.

Matt Wieters career: .255/.319/.420 line S/H Has avg 22 HR over the last 3 years.
Wellington Castillo last year: .274/.349/.397 8 HR.

So they will add some HR power and a SH bat. They will lose some OBA but Castillo is a 8 hitter and I would rather have some HR pop lower in the line up anyways. He lacks any speed on base to util his OBA.

I'm not sure where they are both at calling games. Castillo proved to be very capable at it.

At the surface Wieters has the edge. 5 years from now most likely Castillo will be a stud behind the plate. If he hit 20 HR's last year he would be concidered all star talent.

IDK to be honest with this one. Could bite the Cubs in the keester in the end.

Now if the deal was Wieters/Bundy(#14 prospect) for Shark (#3 starter as is but can get better), and Castillo (potential all star IMO) it would be a fair deal.

There is upside in both Castillo and Bundy that could be all star talent.

Shark and Wieters are a wash in talent. Seems like a fair trade.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Bundy, but he's out with TJS so that makes me cautious.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like Bundy, but he's out with TJS so that makes me cautious.

well if you think about it they would be adding a SH catcher that could 3-5 for the team next year. They get rid of the contract issue upcomming. And they add another top of the rotation project under control.

They could easily spend some cash in F/A on the short term to back fill 2 rotation spots for 2014.

It honestly might be a solid deal. My concern is Castillo goes and hits 20 HR's next year and makes the All star team and Shark Wins 15 games with a quality team.

Would be typical. But I don't see Theo giving Shark a no trade so...got to get something while he has value.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Is this real life?

Weiters is a significant upgrade and can drive in runs. Bundy most likely is untouchable even with TJ surgery but I would gladly take Gausman in a heart beat.

This trade makes too much sense for the Cubs. I don't know why the O's would trade away a pitcher when they are looking for pitching tho.

CHAMPS!!!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont see this deal happening. Makes 0 sense for both teams. Cubs getting rid of Shark cause he only has 2 yrs left. They wouldnt trade him for a C that is a Boras client that has only 2 yrs left. Anyone who thinks they can get Weiters + a top pitching prospect from BAL for Shark is on Drugs :smoke:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Weiters is a fine player but I wouldn't want to trade Shark for him. I don't like having one of your "best" players being a catcher because of the wear and tear. If it happens naturally via prospects fine but to trade your biggest chip for it to me feels like a step back. I think you have to get back pitching for Shark.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

adam jones,weiters,markakis for shark is the only way the cubs should even think about it.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
adam jones,weiters,markakis for shark is the only way the cubs should even think about it.

And a 95% controlling stake in the franchise plus the rights to the Washington Nationals TV revenue the Orioles control.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Talks that TOR going to make an offer soon

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think some of us are still over-rating Samardzija a bit. :shrug:

its chicago. we did it with peavy, you guys did it with demp. its what meatballs do.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Blue Jays Putting Together Package For Samardzija

Teams have inquired on Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija and the Blue Jays are putting together a package of young players to try and land him, a source tells Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com (on Twitter). For his part, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos didn't deny that he has discussed Samardzija with Chicago in an interview with Jim Bowden of SiriusXM (on Twitter). Even though Anthopoulos is looking into starters, he insisted that he has yet to make an offer to anyone (link).

As it stands, Samardzija is set to hit the open market prior to the 2016 season. Most reports throughout the 2013 season indicated that an extension would be tricky, but GM Jed Hoyer indicated recently that he has had discussions with the 28-year-old, making a new deal seem more plausible than it has in the past.

The Blue Jays are far from the first club to be linked to Samardzija and the Nationals and Diamondbacks are two of the more recent clubs with rumored interest. The Cubs hurler posted a 4.34 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in 2013 and his xFIP of 3.45 suggests he was stronger than his ERA shows.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Levine:
Teams have inquired about StarterJeff Samardzija. Source: Toronto putting together package of young players.
Cubs have also had talks with Arizona on Samardzija. Cost will be high (3- 4 top youngsters)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Levine:
Teams have inquired about StarterJeff Samardzija. Source: Toronto putting together package of young players.
Cubs have also had talks with Arizona on Samardzija. Cost will be high (3- 4 top youngsters)

Really? I mean the way people talk around here. He is worth about half a peanut and some anal lube.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Really? I mean the way people talk around here. He is worth about half a peanut and some anal lube.

That's actually a pretty good deal right there :shifty: